Need help with sick beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Is this at nite or day-- if it's during the day put a bowl of water in the tank on the hot side or basking area and see what it does- I did this w/ mine today and it got to 31%
Karrie

rhaegaldrogo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":3fcezgfa said:
So his hide is 39 c inside it? I would put his hide on the cool side of the tank-- is he in a 20 gallon tank?
Karrie

Sorry my response never sent. No. It's 39° at the hottest part, hide is 24-27°C in the inside. He's in a 4ft vivarium.

I don't think this is because of the medication but maybe it is. He was hiding before I had him on medication.

He's started running around frantically again now lately. Climbing up the walls of the vivarium like a mad thing, running around, black beard (sometimes very dark).

It's been quite humid outside here the past few days, but perhaps his vivarium is indeed too dry. Although,. I have filled up a celebrations lid and placed it in his vivarium for a few hours, as well as a damp towel so idk

rhaegaldrogo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":3stsoyrr said:
Is this at nite or day-- if it's during the day put a bowl of water in the tank on the hot side or basking area and see what it does- I did this w/ mine today and it got to 31%
Karrie

If he's acting frantic and I take him out, he'll run around like crazy and usually seems to want to go back into his vivarium to then wall surf once more.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He is in distress or pain if he is black bearding - what is the humidity level in the tank - it can go as high as 70% but you really dont want it that high ---optimal is 30-40 % -- ok so basking temps are 102 F at the hottest part of basking spot? And what is the middle part should be 90's and cool side 80's all F and taken w/ a digital probe thermometer --you need a hygrometer to get humidity readings -- please post pics of the tank and lighting -- we need to figure why hes black bearding
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post
Karrie

rhaegaldrogo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":29ojrglc said:
He is in distress or pain if he is black bearding - what is the humidity level in the tank - it can go as high as 70% but you really dont want it that high ---optimal is 30-40 % -- ok so basking temps are 102 F at the hottest part of basking spot? And what is the middle part should be 90's and cool side 80's all F and taken w/ a digital probe thermometer --you need a hygrometer to get humidity readings -- please post pics of the tank and lighting -- we need to figure why hes black bearding
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post
Karrie

I don't have a hydrometer just yet but I'm ordering one now.
105948-3194842.jpg
Here's the setup for him
I've also noticed he stretches his heard a little more than usual,.and just his beard sometimes. Probably just stretching, but thought it was worth mentioning

rhaegaldrogo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
rhaegaldrogo":ycr49ijg said:
KarrieRee":ycr49ijg said:
Karrie

I don't have a hydrometer just yet but I'm ordering one now.
105948-3194842.jpg
Here's the setup for him
I've also noticed he stretches his heard a little more than usual,.and just his beard sometimes. Probably just stretching, but thought it was worth mentioning

Also, when he's wall surfing, it's usually on the back wall, not so much the glass. When he goes in his box z he'll dig the floor for ages

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Are you sure its a male? Please post a pic of his vent w/ tail in the air from back view so we can see if its a male/ or female -- the constant digging tells me it may be female
Karrie

rhaegaldrogo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":1banqj9e said:
Are you sure its a male? Please post a pic of his vent w/ tail in the air from back view so we can see if its a male/ or female -- the constant digging tells me it may be female
Karrie

He only digs when first going into his hive. I'm almost positive he's male, I've seen the two bulges on the side of his tail. I can't get a pick of him now because he's acting crazy but I'll try when he's calmed down a little

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so as long as you know hes positive male -- something is off in this tank for him to be surfing like this -- do you let him out? If so how long is he out for and what is his behavior when putting him back in his tank? I would get a light on the other side of that tank its so dark - just a regular HH bulb like a 60 watt will do --- stretching of beard usually means they are going into shed or possibility -- is your tank a 40 gallon? Do you have your UVB in a fixture w/ a reflector?
Karrie

rhaegaldrogo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":1s7kkyna said:
Ok so as long as you know hes positive male -- something is off in this tank for him to be surfing like this -- do you let him out? If so how long is he out for and what is his behavior when putting him back in his tank? I would get a light on the other side of that tank its so dark - just a regular HH bulb like a 60 watt will do --- stretching of beard usually means they are going into shed or possibility -- is your tank a 40 gallon? Do you have your UVB in a fixture w/ a reflector?
Karrie

His behaviour when out usually involves him running around and licking things. If he's tired he may just sit on me. When I take him out, it's anywhere between 10mins to 1.5 hours, it depends.

He basks when I put him back in most of the time and seems content. But this I think may be because I usually take him out at night. He tends to be more calmed down at nighttime, but not every night.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so the tank size is a 40 gallong? And do you have a reflector on your UVB?
Karrie

rhaegaldrogo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":6z12yjpc said:
Ok so the tank size is a 40 gallong? And do you have a reflector on your UVB?
Karrie

Oh sorry. It's 48"x16"x16". I do plan on getting him a taller one when I can.

I do!

I've noticed something, I don't know if it's anything big?
Tonight after he was half sleeping on me,. I put him back in and he basked. After a few minutes, he black bearded and started frantically trying to climb and stand against the backwall.

I turned off the UVB when he hid, which made him come out and start climbing the glass which faces my room.

I turned the UVB back on,.he started trying to climb the back wall again.

I turned both lights off, he calmed down and went to sleep.. weird lol

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Something to do w/ the UVB I am thinking- get a new bulb change it out - if he does the same thing it's not that bulb -- then you need to check the basking bulb - do the same
Karrie

rhaegaldrogo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":2h9ff1v9 said:
Something to do w/ the UVB I am thinking- get a new bulb change it out - if he does the same thing it's not that bulb -- then you need to check the basking bulb - do the same
Karrie

I will do!
Do reptisun make a t5? I heard they aren't quite as intense as the Arcadia, might be better to get one of them as a change?
For the cool end, could a low wattage energy saver bulb work? It's already quite hot in the tank with a 50watt basking bulb

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Use a led they don't emit heat--you can use like a 60 watt--- yes you want a Reptisun 10.0 T 5-- this is going to rule out the lighting if this is the issue
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quantum
Top Bottom