Need help with sick beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhaegaldrogo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":1qwfzbrv said:
Use a led they don't emit heat--you can use like a 60 watt--- yes you want a Reptisun 10.0 T 5-- this is going to rule out the lighting if this is the issue
Karrie

Thank you :).. I've ordered him an LED and new UV lamp today. Hopefully they work

I've tried raising the humidity by placing his bowl of water at the hot end, but he doesn't seem to care. Although today his Blackbeard isn't as dark, but he's climbing the walls frantically still. His breathing is also heavy when he rests after doing this

rhaegaldrogo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
rhaegaldrogo":io3gsj0r said:
KarrieRee":io3gsj0r said:
Use a led they don't emit heat--you can use like a 60 watt--- yes you want a Reptisun 10.0 T 5-- this is going to rule out the lighting if this is the issue
Karrie

Thank you :).. I've ordered him an LED and new UV lamp today. Hopefully they work

I've tried raising the humidity by placing his bowl of water at the hot end, but he doesn't seem to care. Although today his Blackbeard isn't as dark, but he's climbing the walls frantically still. His breathing is also heavy when he rests after doing this

He seemed to be getting a little better. Hiding, but at least he was eating. Now he spends hours upon hours wall surfing and hasn't eaten in days :(

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What is the humidity in his tank? if its less than 70% your good - I have heard 30-40% is optimal -- when will the new bulb be there? if you can get him outside for some UVB and see what his behavior does -- outside in direct sunlight sitting on you for as long as you can stand the heat -- hes wearing himself out w/ all the surfing -- do you get him out of his tank and if so for how long? what does his behavior do after getting him out? If you can get him out for like 2 hrs sitting in front of your LR window on a couch or chair does his behavior change? He seemed to be getting a little better. Hiding, but at least he was eating. Now he spends hours upon hours wall surfing and hasn't eaten in days :(
What is going on w/ him? The only thing I can think of is his tank is too small as well -- what size is he in?

Karrie

rhaegaldrogo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":1abmse3b said:
What is the humidity in his tank? if its less than 70% your good - I have heard 30-40% is optimal -- when will the new bulb be there? if you can get him outside for some UVB and see what his behavior does -- outside in direct sunlight sitting on you for as long as you can stand the heat -- hes wearing himself out w/ all the surfing -- do you get him out of his tank and if so for how long? what does his behavior do after getting him out? If you can get him out for like 2 hrs sitting in front of your LR window on a couch or chair does his behavior change? He seemed to be getting a little better. Hiding, but at least he was eating. Now he spends hours upon hours wall surfing and hasn't eaten in days :(
What is going on w/ him? The only thing I can think of is his tank is too small as well -- what size is he in?

Karrie

I don't have a hydrometer just yet, but I'm hoping the humidity will be raised high enough soon if it's too low. It could be a humidity thing - he's usually calmer at night, when outside humidity is higher

I can't get him out. He's too crazy he won't stay still, he keeps squirming, I've tried. A few days ago he seemed to enjoy being on the couch but the last 3 days he's just too frantic to hold.
It's a 48x16x16 inch wooden vivarium

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Humidity rises at nite so its gonna be higher at nite --- the tank is a approx 55 gallon -- it sounds like hes going stir crazy -- I would get him out let him run -- wrap him up like a burrito and take him to your LR and let him run on the floor - is he doing any head bobbing or waving? Is he getting a black beard or has that gone away? if hes getting a black beard hes in distress --- I would look at upgrading your tank or get him out more often -- I am not getting the frantic behavior at all --- other than its the lighting which we need to rule out w/ the new bulb - or hes just outgrown the tank -- see if having him out for 2 hrs will curb the glass surfing
Karrie

rhaegaldrogo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":2m1rugsw said:
Humidity rises at nite so its gonna be higher at nite --- the tank is a approx 55 gallon -- it sounds like hes going stir crazy -- I would get him out let him run -- wrap him up like a burrito and take him to your LR and let him run on the floor - is he doing any head bobbing or waving? Is he getting a black beard or has that gone away? if hes getting a black beard hes in distress --- I would look at upgrading your tank or get him out more often -- I am not getting the frantic behavior at all --- other than its the lighting which we need to rule out w/ the new bulb - or hes just outgrown the tank -- see if having him out for 2 hrs will curb the glass surfing
Karrie

I've managed to get him out into my bathroom. He's running around like crazy, occasionally trying to climb the walls, very black beard.

He black beards a little in his vivarium yes, but it isn't constant when he's running around.

He's been running around nonstop for 3hours now, no sign of stopping

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so I would get him into the vet as soon as you can and have him checked out --- I am going to flag your post to Tracie our vet mod on here and AHBD see if they have some ideas for the behavior
here is a website to find a vet -- is he pooping?
www.arav.org
Karrie

rhaegaldrogo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":2qn2efhd said:
Ok so I would get him into the vet as soon as you can and have him checked out --- I am going to flag your post to Tracie our vet mod on here and AHBD see if they have some ideas for the behavior
here is a website to find a vet -- is he pooping?
http://www.arav.org
Karrie

He's been to a vet already, but they didn't know what was wrong with him. They could only treat him for the parasites he caught. Thank you :)
He is, only very small amounts but yes

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thats cause hes not eating very much ---- is he on meds still or done w/ them and how long ago? Ok so Tracie is on at nite but AHBD is on and off during the day --- I am at a loss on his behavior --- I wish I could help you more :( but your boy has me stumped --- :( that black beard going is distress or pain - have you examined him visually to see if anything is showing or something where it shouldnt be or an injury ? Check the inside of his mouth too
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, sometimes this behavior is just what a male does in the breeding season with no outlet for his urges. Black beards are common with males in breeding mode but they cam be from stress as well. Another problem is your tank is not tall enough, you would use a lower watt heat bulb as well as uvb. You don't need a t5 in there, a t8 is the right one. It's too bad that the viv is so short because it's otherwise a nice tank. If there's a way to cut part of the top off and replace with screen [ the screen with larger holes, like 1/4 inch ] and set all lights on top he'd probably be more comfortable. The heat lamp is unnaturally low, can easily burn him. I don't think he needs a vet, he's just either stressed or in breeding mode.

rhaegaldrogo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AHBD":n8q8zcwm said:
Hi there, sometimes this behavior is just what a male does in the breeding season with no outlet for his urges. Black beards are common with males in breeding mode but they cam be from stress as well. Another problem is your tank is not tall enough, you would use a lower watt heat bulb as well as uvb. You don't need a t5 in there, a t8 is the right one. It's too bad that the viv is so short because it's otherwise a nice tank. If there's a way to cut part of the top off and replace with screen [ the screen with larger holes, like 1/4 inch ] and set all lights on top he'd probably be more comfortable. The heat lamp is unnaturally low, can easily burn him. I don't think he needs a vet, he's just either stressed or in breeding mode.

Hi!
Would a 9 month old male act like that?
I thought it could be that, but it's odd he isn't eating too. And it isn't constant, and sometimes it skips a day almost. Today was the worst I've seen him.

Oh his temperatures are actually fine, despite the short height, they aren't the problem I don't believe.

I know it's too short, but it was all I could afford at the time - it's hard to get taller vivariums where I live.

I'd actually love to do that, and I'd planned on it. I don't think it's possible because of the way it's put together (and fairly low quality wood ?). A hole in the back portion of the top would cause a big weakness in the lid and the side walls. That's according to my dad - but maybe it is possible? Have you known anyone to do that?

The sides of the vivarium are basically holding each other up, siliconed together if that makes sense.

rhaegaldrogo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
rhaegaldrogo":25ulk9ji said:
AHBD":25ulk9ji said:

Hi!
Would a 9 month old male act like that?
I thought it could be that, but it's odd he isn't eating too. And it isn't constant, and sometimes it skips a day almost. Today was the worst I've seen him.

Oh his temperatures are actually fine, despite the short height, they aren't the problem I don't believe.

I know it's too short, but it was all I could afford at the time - it's hard to get taller vivariums where I live.

I'd actually love to do that, and I'd planned on it. I don't think it's possible because of the way it's put together (and fairly low quality wood ?). A hole in the back portion of the top would cause a big weakness in the lid and the side walls. That's according to my dad - but maybe it is possible? Have you known anyone to do that?

The sides of the vivarium are basically holding each other up, siliconed together if that makes sense.

I also didn't realise the the t5 thing was a bit much for the tank size until a while after I bought the fixture.. it's quite expensive ?. Do you think a reptisun t5 would be better in it? A little less intense

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Its possible yours is going thru adolescence--- what are you using for lighting in the tank? UVB brand and bulb -- NO coils--- post a pic of the tank please and lighting -- what are your basking temps? NO stick ons--- if your tank is short in height a T 8 would be better like AHBD suggested
Karrie

rhaegaldrogo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":3kwscg0r said:
Thats cause hes not eating very much ---- is he on meds still or done w/ them and how long ago? Ok so Tracie is on at nite but AHBD is on and off during the day --- I am at a loss on his behavior --- I wish I could help you more :( but your boy has me stumped --- :( that black beard going is distress or pain - have you examined him visually to see if anything is showing or something where it shouldnt be or an injury ? Check the inside of his mouth too
Karrie

Thank you very much Karrie for trying to help ?
He looks perfectly healthy on the outside, his teeth have stains but that's it :/.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok well change your bulb out to the T 8 as suggested by AHBD for a shorter tank -- it may be too strong for your tank -- you should be able to get a T 8 for that fixture of yours
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom