Need help with cleaning tank!

Beardie name(s)
Emeril
I want to know, can I use simple green to clean it? Or is this cleaner poisonous? I read it was safe on one website but just the one. What do you think?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think of cleaning and disinfecting as two tasks. For cleaning, I typically use vinegar and a clean rag or paper towels. Simple green is non toxic, but it has a strong smell so I avoid it for cleaning dragon related surfaces. That's to remove buildup and physical dirt/poop/etc. Once a surface is clean, then I disinfect it. I like using F10, but there are other good options. Veterinary disinfectants like F10, Rescue, Wipeout, are typically available. You can also use heat - steam as mentioned earlier. I have a steam cleaner that I've used in the past, but find that it is somewhat time consuming due to the size of it (pencil sized nozzle). There are different sizes available, but I have a Shark steam cleaner that looks like a tea kettle with a hose that releases the pressurized steam. Just fill the chamber with some water, let it heat up, and spray the steam at the surface you want to disinfect.

Emerilthedragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Emeril
I think of cleaning and disinfecting as two tasks. For cleaning, I typically use vinegar and a clean rag or paper towels. Simple green is non toxic, but it has a strong smell so I avoid it for cleaning dragon related surfaces. That's to remove buildup and physical dirt/poop/etc. Once a surface is clean, then I disinfect it. I like using F10, but there are other good options. Veterinary disinfectants like F10, Rescue, Wipeout, are typically available. You can also use heat - steam as mentioned earlier. I have a steam cleaner that I've used in the past, but find that it is somewhat time consuming due to the size of it (pencil sized nozzle). There are different sizes available, but I have a Shark steam cleaner that looks like a tea kettle with a hose that releases the pressurized steam. Just fill the chamber with some water, let it heat up, and spray the steam at the surface you want to disinfect.
Do you just avoid using it due to smell? Or is it harmful to bearded dragons as they don't like the smell?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Beardies have a simple respotory system, anything that has fumes can be harsh on them. Even wipeout if it isn't rinsed/aired out. It is ammonia based. Ammonia will sanitize as well but it has to be rinsed and aired to zero fumes.
Personally i use chlorhexidine, but even that has some fumes that i have to air out, but it airs out pretty quickly.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Do you just avoid using it due to smell? Or is it harmful to bearded dragons as they don't like the smell?
As xp29 mentioned, it has a strong odor and I also try to avoid any strong odors or harsh chemicals around a dragon. I doubt it would cause much issue as a one-off, but if you're using it on a regular basis I'd be concerned it might cause some problems over time.

Emerilthedragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Emeril
As xp29 mentioned, it has a strong odor and I also try to avoid any strong odors or harsh chemicals around a dragon. I doubt it would cause much issue as a one-off, but if you're using it on a regular basis I'd be concerned it might cause some problems over time.
Alright, thank you I'll try it this one time and see how it goes.

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
I want to know, can I use simple green to clean it? Or is this cleaner poisonous? I read it was safe on one website but just the one. What do you think?
Idk about simple green, I use Wipe out disinfectant or water and vinegar when I am out of that.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Welchy2000
Top Bottom