Cleaning fumes

HyperLollipop

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Herman
Hi all. I'm not sure how many of you are aware, but Passover is quickly approaching for us Jews. I am Orthodox, so me and my family are very strict about the rules etc, and for Passover, that includes cleaning the house from top to bottom to remove pretty much any food (in reality the rule is not that simple, but not necessary for the question :)) and we are up to the front of the house, which is the area where Herman's enclosure is. The fumes from the regular cleaners aren't so bad, but right now we are using a heavy-duty oven cleaner that even I cannot stand the smell of. He is not in the kitchen, but his enclosure is in the next room and the kitchen is very open. He is also right next to an open window (it is nearing 70F outside). Are there any other additional steps I should take in preventing inhalation? I can take him into one of the bedrooms but I would not be able to keep an eye on him and I don't want him getting under any furniture. I do not have a small carrier to keep him in.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I would use the carrier and get him far from the fumes. Their respotory system is more simple than ours, the fumes could be extremely bad on him.

HyperLollipop

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Herman
I would use the carrier and get him far from the fumes. Their respotory system is more simple than ours, the fumes could be extremely bad on him.
I understand that. As I mentioned, I do not have a carrier for him. I would take him to the bedrooms with an open window and closed door to the rest of the house, but I cannot supervise right now. I may be able to find a shoe box. Is that good?
How do I know if he is having trouble breathing?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
He would probably push his way out of a shoe box.
I have small totes that i used a soldering iron to cut round hole in for ventilation. I bought one that the handles lock the lid. They work pretty good. Be careful the smell of the plastic isn't strong if you go that route. I had to air mine out a few days before using them.

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
@xp29
That's also what I have, with a lid that locks securely. I have bought it just in case I have to put my dragon somewhere outside of his enclosure. (I also have a carrier but it is rather small so I still can actually carry it with him inside in case I have to bring him to the vet.)
For making holes: Also nail scissors work very well in case no soldering iron is around. (I have one, but at the time I bought the tote I actually hadn't - just moved to a country with different voltage and hadn't bought all the stuff yet - , and pushing in nail scissors and then rotate a bit with a motion like using a screwdriver also worked reasonably well.)
He would probably push his way out of a shoe box.
Extremely likely: standing on the hind legs, opening the lid, and then jumping out. That's why I made sure the lid of the tote actually locks. Shoe box in a room with an open window does not sound good for a somewhat strong reptile that's able to climb and jump, I literally see it happening...

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom