Need help please with skin problem?! Pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lturcot0

animals010.jpg

Can someone please tell me what might be wrong with Rex?
I thought it might be a burn at first but he is not able to get really close to his bulb in order to do this kind of damage... maybe I am wrong?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Liz,

Oh my, that is a fungal problem.
Can you review your tank setup with us? What is the humidity in the tank, & what are the temperatures in the tank?
What type of thermometer do you use to measure the temperatures with? A stick on type, a digital probe or a temp gun?
How close is the basking light to him?

Start with getting some betadine, & dilute it down to resemble a VERY weak tea color. This will help clean the skin. Next you can get either tea tree oil or witch hazel. Do not use full strength on the skin, just gently swab it on with a cotton ball or a q-tip.
Then, use some lamisil or monistat cream on the affected area. Do the cream treatments twice daily, & make sure you do a nightly treatment so it stays on overnight for extra time. Then, bathe him in the morning, & reapply it.

What type of substrate is he on?
Has he been on any medications recently, such as Baytril or Albon for extended periods of time?
Also, you might want to start him on a probiotic such as non dairy soy yogurt, acidophiliz, or benebac to help offset some of the yeast/fungus buildup.
Is he eating very well right now?

Tracie

lturcot0

Original Poster
tracie, thank you so much for the reply!

I am kind of embarrassed it has gotten this bad. I use a digital probe to measure the temp of his basking spot which usually sits around 100-105 F. He can get about 10-12 inches from him basking bulb. His substrate is a finely ground walnut shell. I was told by the pet store it was the better than sand? He has always been a pickey eater but loves superworms. However it is making him fat so he has not been getting them as much. What causes such fungal problems and could it be transfered to my cats or myself? I will def do what you suggest! Thanks again so much for your help! You are so knowledgeable!

Liz

healthybeardie

Juvie Member
Liz,

I've heard walnut shells are not safe due to potential intestinal problems :( Other substrate options could be nonadhesive shelf liner, slate tile or repti-carpet. This website is a great place to get info. :)

Dont feel bad or :oops: because a lot of us here have been mis informed by the pet stores also.

I hope Rex is doing better soon!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Liz,

Well, fungus can be caused from too dry of conditions or too humid of conditions. It can also be caused by too many rounds of harsh medications which can throw off their natural gut flora bacteria.
Usually, fungus is pretty contagious, yes. So, use extreme care after handling your dragon by washing your hands, before handling any other pets. Definitely start the treatments as soon as you can.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

lturcot0

Original Poster
I am two days into treating rex and the color on his side is starting to turn more yellow. Is this normal? I havent started the probiotic yet but will try to today. I will try to get another picture as well! Thanks for all your help!

lturcot0

Original Poster
animals035.jpg

Here is the spot a few days into treatment. Is this normal looking? His appetite has really decreased since I have started trying to treat his skin. I am not sure if he is stressed out or ill. =

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The area does appear to be changing & definitely changing color.
You are using the lamisil twice daily?
Please do start the probiotics as soon as you can. I would give it another week. If that area does not improve pretty soon, I would recommend getting a skin culture, & he should probably start the oral anti-fungal. Sometimes, there is too much yeast/fungal buildup internally that it continues to manifest skin ulcers so it absolutely has to be treated from the inside out.
If he is not eating, you will need to try giving some baby food so he doesn't start to lose weight.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom