Help me help my dragon recover

ownedbyP

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
P
i absolutely got lucky with my enclosure. it was right at the beginning of the covid pandemic lock down here in the US and I found a little mom and pop place in portland, oregon doing custom enclosures. i had to pick it up from them. they have since gone out of business, which makes me sad! it's a great quality enclosure
Yeah I was thinking of trying to find someone doing customs too. I am in Denmarn though so it might be difficult

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Do try to post some pictures of your boy along with
your tank setup so we can see his physical condition.
Where are you located?
At 15 years of age, he is doing astoundingly well so
what a trooper he is! Not many make it past 10 years
of age.
Go slow & easy with him, as too much stress would
not be good. Since he has had stitches from a
prolapse, only feed soft foods right now.
Looking forward to seeing pictures of him.

Tracie

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
I might look into pallets. Terrarium tables and terrariums at all of this size are quite difficult to find. The one i have was hard to get as is and its not big enough.. So thats kind of my main issue.
There are companies that sell such - you won't find them in a typical pet store. I have read about companies here in the forum, but cannot recommend them myself as I'm at a different continent.
Look into the "enclosures" section; most people write where they bought their enclosure from.

Here (Chile) it was indeed impossible to get a sufficiently large enclosure first: Pet stores don't sell them (also, pet stores here usually have only things for cats and dogs and reptiles are super unusual here), companies that make them are only in the US and maybe Europe and shipment is ways too expensive, and then dealing with customs... no way.
What worked in this situation was getting one made by a glass company, and I made the lid of the enclosure myself. This way I got a 200 gallon enclosure.
But as you are in Europe, there are companies that sell large enough enclosures. Usually they come packed like a piece of furniture you put together on your own. If this really doesn't work out: Try asking some glass companies. It finally was ways cheaper than I expected it to be. It cost less and is larger than the largest aquarium tank (that's what I also looked into) available.

ownedbyP

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
P
Hello,

Do try to post some pictures of your boy along with
your tank setup so we can see his physical condition.
Where are you located?
At 15 years of age, he is doing astoundingly well so
what a trooper he is! Not many make it past 10 years
of age.
Go slow & easy with him, as too much stress would
not be good. Since he has had stitches from a
prolapse, only feed soft foods right now.
Looking forward to seeing pictures of him.

Tracie
Hello. I got some pictures here. Let me know if theres more you need. Thank you. I feed him leafy greens and occasional waxworms (in lieu of dubias for now.)

Attachments

• 4B73DF3D-0CE0-401B-B572-5E050C74C999.jpeg
    4B73DF3D-0CE0-401B-B572-5E050C74C999.jpeg
    248.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 48442516-F453-41AA-ACDB-853E6C4D8EBD.jpeg
    48442516-F453-41AA-ACDB-853E6C4D8EBD.jpeg
    209.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 317024A6-2B32-4AA1-BEBE-69E99E0A4DFB.jpeg
    317024A6-2B32-4AA1-BEBE-69E99E0A4DFB.jpeg
    131.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 1A710E19-0D61-48B0-8BA1-073ED8562CB7.jpeg
    1A710E19-0D61-48B0-8BA1-073ED8562CB7.jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 25
  • DC5909FB-2E8F-4370-9906-51594BA01EC7.jpeg
    DC5909FB-2E8F-4370-9906-51594BA01EC7.jpeg
    139 KB · Views: 28
  • 613363B6-DD6B-4F2F-B13D-AF168FF65FA5.jpeg
    613363B6-DD6B-4F2F-B13D-AF168FF65FA5.jpeg
    189.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 8F9186DB-05A9-4B7D-97F6-A7A6BEE189F4.jpeg
    8F9186DB-05A9-4B7D-97F6-A7A6BEE189F4.jpeg
    278.1 KB · Views: 27
  • CAE55E59-4B9C-4F68-A2AA-8ABB5645205B.jpeg
    CAE55E59-4B9C-4F68-A2AA-8ABB5645205B.jpeg
    120.8 KB · Views: 28

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Also - I am in Denmark
I dont know if they ship to where you are --- please do not feed wax worms regularly - they are very fatty and can cause liver damage-- please feed another staple like silk worms BSFL or crickets - the dubias are a good staple feeder --- you can feed super meal horn worms as treats -- is he going to the bathroom? The basking light is too close distance should be at least 6 inches above the basking decor -- please get a surface basking temp on that rock you dont want to burn him up temp should be 95-100

ownedbyP

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
P
I dont know if they ship to where you are --- please do not feed wax worms regularly - they are very fatty and can cause liver damage-- please feed another staple like silk worms BSFL or crickets - the dubias are a good staple feeder --- you can feed super meal horn worms as treats -- is he going to the bathroom? The basking light is too close distance should be at least 6 inches above the basking decor -- please get a surface basking temp on that rock you dont want to burn him up temp should be 95-100
They are not regular just for his recovery. Usual is dubia, hornworms are hard to get here
He is not defecating on his own. I have to help him by massaging the area of the cloaca.
I was told 40-45c was ideal, but if thats too much i will raise his lamp. Thank you

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
They are not regular just for his recovery. Usual is dubia, hornworms are hard to get here
He is not defecating on his own. I have to help him by massaging the area of the cloaca.
I was told 40-45c was ideal, but if thats too much i will raise his lamp. Thank you
It is too hot please raise the bulb - you want it 95-100 F for him -- older dragons do not like real hot temps -- please feed soft foods so he can easily pass the stool -- silk worms and BSFL are good staples - I would not feed any super worms or meal worms because of the exoskeleton on them - and I would hold back the dubias and the crickets as well --- you dont want him plugged up again-- make sure hes hydrated -- this will help w/ the pooping

ownedbyP

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
P
It is too hot please raise the bulb - you want it 95-100 F for him -- older dragons do not like real hot temps -- please feed soft foods so he can easily pass the stool -- silk worms and BSFL are good staples - I would not feed any super worms or meal worms because of the exoskeleton on them - and I would hold back the dubias and the crickets as well --- you dont want him plugged up again-- make sure hes hydrated -- this will help w/ the pooping
Definitely will, thanks Karrie. Are leafy greens okay for soft food? I will see if i can find soldier fly larvae. I will never feed mealworms again. I bought small baby dubias for an occasional meal, I dont think he will have the sub adults anymore. Can i give him water by syringe? Is that a good idea?

ownedbyP

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
P
Just noticed your link. I will try droplets for him first and if it fails i will give him a little by syringe.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Just noticed your link. I will try droplets for him first and if it fails i will give him a little by syringe.
You can use a eye dropper for water -- I would maybe feed some baby food squash - see if he will lick that off of a spoon -- but the BSFL are a good soft worm along w/ silks --

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He looks pretty good for his age, you've taken great care of him. :) You started the thread saying you've made mistakes that you regret but to have a 15 year old dragon it shows that you've actually been a good owner and made mostly good decisions for sure.

You're getting good advice so far, my suggestion about not being aggressive with his treatment was just to be ware that vets aren't using methods that hurt him in his fragile condition.

Hopefully he will live to 16 or ?? years old. So far so good . I think your enclosure is fine and you don't need a larger one, especially since he's old.

Last edited:

ownedbyP

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
P
He looks pretty good for his age, you've taken great care of him. :) You started the thread saying you've made mistakes that you regret but to have a 15 year old dragon it shows that you've actually been a good owner and made mostly good decisions for sure.

You're getting good advice so far, my suggestion about not being aggressive with his treatment was just to be ware that vets aren't using methods that hurt him in his fragile condition.

Hopefully he will live to 16 or ?? years old. So far so good . I think your enclosure is fine and you don't need a larger one, especially since he's old.
I think he looks pretty good too. I don't see any signs of his age on him.

Yes of course. I appreciate you looking out for him.

It'll do until hes back in top shape but then I will look for something bigger. Thank you so much for the kind words.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, he does look pretty good for his age!
You can blend up the greens into a slurry so it is
easier to digest for him.
Denmark I imagine is hard to source some things.
Do you order most things online?
I agree with AHBD, at his age, I wouldn't worry about
upgrading his tank size. You don't need to make any
big changes for him, so it doesn't cause him any
undue stress. What you have been doing has been
working so just focus on getting his system working
better & helping him heal.

Tracie

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom