Need alternatives for crickets but NO roaches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ketchupp

I live in Florida so I can't get my hands on roaches easily
Anything other than crickets that I can feed my 3 year old?

SDragons

Juvie Member
Roaches are illegal here in Canada as well. I've heard that silkworms are a good alternative. It's something we are considering trying to grow from eggs as our BD gets older. I've heard that they are an "easy" alternative.... But have no working knowledge with them.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Locuses (some use them).

Silkworms are great as a feeder.Dead easy to raise too, even if you have no access to fresh mulberry leaves, they can quite satisfactorily raised from eggs all the way to moths (and you can harvest your own eggs (one female moth will lay about 400 eggs).
I've raised 8 - 9 batches of silkworms over the last 3.5 years (most from eggs , about 1/2 from eggs I harvested myself and about 1/2 the time I used mulberry leaves (that I bought in bulk as needed - on a fortnightly basis (they keep rather well in freezer bags in the crisper so long as they are not wet when you put them there ,and the leaves can be blanched to enable you to freeze them for a few months if need be, silkworm chow is very easy to process ready to use - I suggest make up and cook small amounts as needed and only enough for a couple of weeks at a time).

Superworms are a treat only.

SDragons

Juvie Member
What size does the BD need to be to have silkworms? Is it the same as cricket size to eye width?

Also what is the die off rate of silkworms. I'm trying my hardest and I feel like I am loosing around 10% of our crickets

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
SDragons":m1on3hkb said:
What size does the BD need to be to have silkworms? Is it the same as cricket size to eye width?

Also what is the die off rate of silkworms. I'm trying my hardest and I feel like I am loosing around 10% of our crickets

I started giving small (1" long) silkworms to Peppa and Toothless when they were only 8 weeks old (both each about 20g) , the worms are very soft and squishy so the usual rule about size and gap between eyes isn't applicable, I would have given them silks from the get go (at 5 weeks old IF I HAD THEM).
I essentially substituted their last daily insect feeding (of 8x 20D old / small crickets each) with 4x small silkworms each.

The tricks to reducing silkworm die off are :
- don't over crowd them ( if they crawl over each other while shedding, the shed doesn't come off properly and they suffocate and die)
- daily poo removal (don't leave it - is great on the garden) if it starts to go mouldy you'll loose worms
- good ventilation (don't want high humidity to build up in the box (if you have a lid on the box make sure it's very well ventilated - lots of big air holes).
- keep the food up (fresh leafs each day , or replace the uneaten chow)
- keep them comfortable (about 24 -26 oC)

If you buy eggs , I find it's good to seal the plastic (sterilised !!!!) food tub with gladwrap to keep small predatory insects (baby roaches, baby spiders, small house ants out) while they are hatching and for the first few weeks).

I lost only a few worms from my last batch of 200 worms over 6 weeks.

Phoenix Worms are great if you can afford them. No need to dust, gut load, clean the cup you get them in, anything. Just order, receive, and feed. They're pricey but not unbearably so. My lil Zilla isn't a huge eater so the 1000 count order (like $53 with shipping) usually lasts him about 2 weeks, I also keep dubias on hand for variety and dusting on his weekly vitamin day, but since you're in Florida maybe another type of roach (discoid I think?) might work too.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
SaintChristopher":28cfe5e1 said:
Phoenix Worms are great if you can afford them. No need to dust, gut load, clean the cup you get them in, anything. Just order, receive, and feed. They're pricey but not unbearably so. My lil Zilla isn't a huge eater so the 1000 count order (like $53 with shipping) usually lasts him about 2 weeks, I also keep dubias on hand for variety and dusting on his weekly vitamin day, but since you're in Florida maybe another type of roach (discoid I think?) might work too.
5.3c each BSF worm .... goodness, better off buying crickets in bulk at that price.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
As was mentioned, you can feed an adult or even a larger juvenile the largest silkworms. The space between the eyes rule does not apply to larger dragons like it does to babies,especially with soft bodied insects. My adult dragons can all eat the largest hornworms which are about 4- 5" long + more than 1/4 inch thick with no problem. But it's still good to feed them crickets or another crunchy insect as it may actually help keep the teeth clean. Locusts are not for sale as feeders in the U.S, only the U.K.

kingofnobbys":19afse90 said:
5.3c each BSF worm .... goodness, better off buying crickets in bulk at that price.

I disagree. Crickets are a hassle and not as nutritionally sound. Plus to someone who works full time $53 every two weeks is not that bad. Plus breeding dubias for complimentary feeding makes Zilla happy and well fed. Plus Phoenix Worms are soft bodied and even younger Beardies can eat the large size without any problems. Crickets are what? Like 1 or 2 cents each at bulk prices? To each their own I suppose, whatever works best for you and your dragon is what you should choose. :)

Pixall

Sub-Adult Member
SaintChristopher":vaizszey said:
kingofnobbys":vaizszey said:

I disagree. Crickets are a hassle and not as nutritionally sound. Plus to someone who works full time $53 every two weeks is not that bad. Plus breeding dubias for complimentary feeding makes Zilla happy and well fed. Plus Phoenix Worms are soft bodied and even younger Beardies can eat the large size without any problems. Crickets are what? Like 1 or 2 cents each at bulk prices? To each their own I suppose, whatever works best for you and your dragon is what you should choose. :)

53$ could absolutely be a lot to someone who works full time, different people have different situations.

To the op: check out cape cod roaches, they have an entire shop section of Florida legal roaches. :) remember that no one prey item can be fed as the sole protein option. They all have pros and cons which are compensated for by offering a variety of healthy options. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maryjane91383
Top Bottom