Pinky mice (as a treat)

BPSabelhaus

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Alex
Now that my little princess is a big girl, I was thinking about offering her a pinky mouse as a holiday treat. Just wanted to gather thoughts, advice etc... She gets a varied diet of live foods. Roaches, caterpillars, grasshoppers, occasional snails just no little mice yet. Getting them locally is easier than most feeders lol So that's not a problem. I know it's a good idea to do after they lay eggs, which she has not done yet (20 months old or so). I just like to keep her entertained and happy trying new things :)

1000009100.jpg

BPSabelhaus

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Alex
Just make sure it's small enough that she doesn't have trouble eating it.
Of course. I'd get the smallest of the small ones for a first treat. She loves the big roaches, but I save most of them for breeding. She gets the old females when they're done breeding. So I'm sure she can handle a decent sized one too (in the future)

My biggest concern is that she is a picky eater and I end up nursing the darn little mouse into a pet lol

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Let us know how it goes, I have heard of people feeding small mice on occasion but never tried it myself (yet) ;)

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm usually pretty lax on food items, but pinkies are ones im not a big fan of.

IMO, there is nothing a pinky offers that other safer feeder options can't also. There is some risk associated with such a large food item, with harder to digest items than the typical insect. So I look at it like this - is the benefit worth the risk?

While I agree that the risk isn't very high, the benefit behind it isn't there either, which is what makes it a no for me.

-Brandon

BPSabelhaus

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Alex
I like offering her different things. Sometimes she loves it, other times I'm a horrible person lol The only benefit IMO is just something new for her to try. She loves caterpillars and other larvae, but there are only so many available lol Like a Twinkie, it has no positives

But it's a Twinkie ;)

Like I mentioned earlier, she'll probably think it's too cute to eat and I end up syringe feeding our new pet mouse lol

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I like offering her different things. Sometimes she loves it, other times I'm a horrible person lol The only benefit IMO is just something new for her to try. She loves caterpillars and other larvae, but there are only so many available lol Like a Twinkie, it has no positives

But it's a Twinkie ;)

Like I mentioned earlier, she'll probably think it's too cute to eat and I end up syringe feeding our new pet mouse lol
Thats why i don't keep snakes, i would end up with a bunch of pet mice lol.

Glamamama

Hatchling Member
Now that my little princess is a big girl, I was thinking about offering her a pinky mouse as a holiday treat. Just wanted to gather thoughts, advice etc... She gets a varied diet of live foods. Roaches, caterpillars, grasshoppers, occasional snails just no little mice yet. Getting them locally is easier than most feeders lol So that's not a problem. I know it's a good idea to do after they lay eggs, which she has not done yet (20 months old or so). I just like to keep her entertained and happy trying new things :)

View attachment 86166
I would not. There are so many other good protein sources that are nice treats give her some Dubia, Desco, black soldier, fly larva silkworms or even a hornworm. No pinky worms and my exotic says same.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom