Need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Futurebeardiemummy

Original Poster
Yay another fellow Aussie!
With the basking globe do you have a mount for it or a dimmer? I have a 40gal tank so I was thinking I was going to need about a 70W? Or do you use the 60W

Did you get your reptisun online??

Thanks

label

Hatchling Member
I swap out the 60w, 75w and 100w depending on the season. I use a thermostat to control the heat light and a timer for the whole enclosure. My flat doesn't get cold enough to need night-time heating. On the Australian beardie board a lot of people just use timers and their experience to decide when and for how long the heat light is on but I don't want to risk roast lizard, especially since I'm not home all the time. I also use fake grass (trimmed close) from Bunnings as the substrate. As she demands to be taken out when she needs to poo, it stays clean.

Futurebeardiemummy

Original Poster
Ahh okay thanks why do you swap them around? Donesnt it always need to be the same temp

And what do you mean how long the heat light is on? Isn't it 12-14 hours a day and just have it on when the uvb is on

label

Hatchling Member
Because my flat's temperature varies some with the seasons and I like to have the basking light on a lot of the time, I use a lower wattage globe in the summer than winter (it's on the thermostat). On the Aussie board a lot of people work out how much time the lights need to be on and switch them manually or with a separate timer than they use for the UV. If you use a mercury vapour bulb to provide both UV and heat then you have to use a timer; you can't run them on a thermostat.

Beardiequeen098

Hey, So I am going to get a beardie soon and I have a few question like is it bad to get a beardie from a breeder where it has a nipped tail, and is it okay too have a 6 1/2 inch baby in a 40 gallon bredder.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Might be best to make your own post, but just to answer your question. Nip tails are mostly unavoidable with raising beardies from what i know of, so to answer that part no, its completely fine to get a beardie from a good breeder if it has a nipped tail.

As for the next question its also completely fine to have a baby in a 40 gallon as well, even a 75 gallon if its comfortable and healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom