Nathaniel, Cierra, Castiel, Freya, Grrl; RIP GABRIEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
We never expected to get another dragon, but our neighbours next door wanted to give away Cleo, as he was called. We'd babysat him before, he's such a sweetheart. We nicknamed him Velcro because when he snuggles he never wants to go back to his viv, he hangs on as if he's made out of velcro.

So here he is. Today was his first day with us. He ate 13 supers and ate some squash, not bad for the first day he was here. He's only in a 30 gallon tank, which will be ok for now. He's 18" long but weighs only 200g. We figure he's probably 2 yrs old. Our neighbours rescued him last fall, they found him and a female (which they named Puff) on Craig's list. They were in a 30 gallon dirty tank, with sand and a huge log that took up 1/2 the space in the tank. Leo was at the bottom, he was sooooo skinny. He's gained weight, but never got the attention he deserved. I took some pics today, but will take more tomorrow. I think he remembers our place as didn't get stressed as I expected. No stress marks at all. When we let him run around the living room, he noticed our girls and immediate black beard, so his hormones are working!

He had a bath this morning, had a big poop, no smell, so not worried about parasites.

So here are a few pics, he's a yellow & dark gray, light gray colour.

Under the communal power sun in the living room:
sweetie2008401.jpg

Discovering there are girls in those tanks up above, he has a great black beard for such a skinny boy:
sweetie2008403.jpg

On the couch, he's got a pretty diamond pattern on his back:
sweetie2008412.jpg

sweetie2008413.jpg

Hope you enjoy
Deb and my six dragons :D :shock: :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry: :( :love5:

slavetoIzzie

Sub-Adult Member
Morning Deb, and as my niece used to say when she was 5, BIG SQUISHYOU HUGS!!! I'm doing better today, having that cry really helped. But I feel you on the fatigue, so much emotion in such a short amount of time will wipe out all of your energy reserves. All you can do is rest as much as of possible, take care of yourself and your babies, and take it one day at a time.
Love and hugs from the boonies of "Kaybek", Frances

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
sweetiepie9":vxmb1pgy said:
Lori, hugs are always welcome. I'm doing ok, but still really tired. I see the doc on Tues, so should know why I'm so tired. I think it was living on adrenaline the whole time he was sick, I guess it caught up with me finally.

Thanks
Deb

Deb, that makes sense. When we were evacuated for 5 days, then I spent 3 days getting our stuff back from my mom's house, Bill and I, both, were exhausted, and to some extent still are, and sore also. I knew when that started I would "crash" later sometime.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Hi Frances, I'm so glad you had a good cry, it really helps clear your head. RIP Putzy. I agree, so much emotion in so short a time. I take a rest time every day & the last two days, instead of vacuuming & cleaning up, I took the days off & played with the dragons & read a new book. So today I feel a bit better. ((((((((hugs))))))) back at ya. It's been a long time since I've lived in Quebec, we moved out here in Nov/87 & I've never gone back. My parents go east every fall & see the relatives, but I don't think they'll be doing it in the future, my dad's 84 & he doesn't want to drive much unless he has to.

Hi Lori, it's also the adrenaline that flows through your body when you're in a stressful situation, so it doesn't surprise me that you & Bill feel tired. Hope you get all your energy back soon. I'm still working on mine.

I've decided that I really can't afford to be on perm disability; I'd lose 40% of my income. I've already lost Roger's pensions, so that's about $800 less a month. So I'm hoping to start back to work in two/three weeks, the fatigue should be easier to handle by then.

Day by day is how I"m managing, it was very good advice. One task at a time. I'm not having an issue living alone, I lived alone for quite a few years before I met Roger, as a single mom, so that was more than I have to handle now. The babies are easy to care for & don't mind being in their tanks if I go out for the afternoon.
Deb

slavetoIzzie

Sub-Adult Member
Well, it's 2pm here so just about 11am your time. Have had your beardie cuddles today? I had mine!! Oscar swam for 10 minutes in the tub, had his poop and then consented to snuggle on the bed with me while I watched Judge Pirro. He hates being burrito'd but instead sprawls across the bedspread, with his head on my leg and his blankie on top of him. Actually stayed there for an entire 15 minutes. Of course, just when I thought he had conked out for a nap, he did the "Beardie Grand Prix" and took off. Back to his house, past the P.C. (Pycho Cat) and in to his waiting breakfast.

Off to bed, I work tonight and 9pm gets here pretty early. Love and hugs to you and your babies.
Frances

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Hi Frances,
Yes I get lots of beardie cuddles now that I'm home on disability. Sweetie still sleeps on Roger's pillow, in his blankie & she gets more cuddles. I've got an appointment with the vet for Lonzo & Sweetie on Thursday am. Sweetie isn't eating & has lost 43g since May 15. Everyone else has gained weight. I'm giving Didi & Sweetie Critical Care I try to give it to them every am & they really love it, take down two tsp right away. I"m hoping that will turn Sweetie around. I'd swear she's depressed from missing Daddy.

Glad Oscar gave you 15 min leg cuddle, silly boy, doesn't he realize that huggles are the best? So he has the turbo in him, too? So funny when they take off like that, as long as they're going in the right direction.

Love & hugs back to you Frances
Deb

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
When I took Roger to our local hospital, I parked in what I thought was a 2 hr free parking spot. Turns out I wasn't in the right spot & I got a ticket for $80. So I called the ticket area at the municipal hall & talked to a nice lady. When she learned why I was parked there (it was the day I finally got Roger into the hospital, she cancelled the ticket. That was so nice of her, so I'm going to give that $ to Eric, as he's short of food $. Made my day!
Deb

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Hi Deb!

Sorry I faded out there for a minute I have been melting her in California. It's not so much the heat as the humidity. YUK! Makes the joints and back hurt on top of making it harder to breath.

Good to see that most everyone has put on weight. I know that Sweetie loved her daddy...like you, she will get through this one day at a time.
That was good advice one day at a time. Your doing good.... :)

How did your doctors visit go yesterday?

hug10.gif

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Thanks Christine, it felt so good to talk to a human being at Municipal Hall, as they can be snarky. She was such a great person to talk to, she'd lost her sister recently & remembered how difficult it was to accept her death & to carry on. She made me feel so good.

Hi Barb, thanks for the hugs, so cute, and we're melting up here from the humidity, too. All my joints are swollen, but I as I'm not in a rush to do things, I've been taking lots of rest stops, so to speak.

I did go to my doc yesterday; she told me I'm still in shock & it will take time to get over. She won't allow me to go to work yet. She's put me on prednisone for a week, I started with 8 tablets this am, then I take 1 less until the pills are gone in a week. Not too many side effects as I"m only taking it for a week & it's to know the broncial asthma away, as I'm still wheezing after 2 weeks on puffers. She's hoping this will work. She on holiday until end July, so I'm seeing her colleague next Tues or Wed, then I see her July 27 & at that point she'll decide if I can start returning to work. I also talked to my manager yesterday & he agreed with the doc & said to call him later in the month to find out if I can start part-time in August. I'm hoping so, even though right now I couldn't do my job, I'm too distracted & still lose time just wandering around the apartment. Thank God for my babies, they keep me thinking, as they need daily care.

Sweetie & Lonzo are going to the vet tomorrow am. Sweetie's back in her hide, she just wants to hide all the time. I'm going to get a fecal from her tomorrow am so it's fresh. Got one from Lonzo today & put it in the fridge, he's a late morning pooper, so wouldn't be able to get a sample from him tomorrow am, as I'm leaving at 9a for the vet. It's a 45 min drive, should be interesting. I have 2 carry alls & with a box inside & the dragons wrapped up, they stay quiet for the whole trip.

I'll let you know the results when I get home tomorrow from the vet. I'm very worried about Sweetie, I think she may be egg-bound, but not sure. Wish me luck with her.
Deb

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Sorry Deb, but I'm actually glad to hear that the doctor doesn't want you to go back to work yet.
I'm glad that your boss agrees as well. I think it's best if you get past the wondering stage. It's gotta be hard to perform your job if your mind is wondering off. It will get easier an you will regain control of your thoughts again. :wink:

sending_hugs.gif

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Sweetie may be egg bound because Roger isn't here, she may be depressed because her buddy went away and didn't come back. When we lost Miss Y, MIss O was soo depressed she went and hid under our bed. She never went there. It helped her that we loved her and she new it. If it wasn't for her kidney failure, which we didn't know about until it was too late, she may have come out of her depression. She and Miss Y were best friends. I've never seen it in any other beardies since. Rosie and Goldie are friendly together but I can't say they were best friends. I suggest you give her extra snuggles for awhile. She probably needs more love. She will need your love and attention more now then she did before. Good luck with her.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I agree with you Barb, depression is normal when they loose someone that is precious to them. I wouldn't know about eggbound as I've never experienced it that I know of.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Thanks so much Barbara for the hugs, they warm my heart as always. And Lori, thanks for sharing the depression angle, as I think that's what's been happening with Sweetie. She really misses Daddy & doesn't really understand why he's disappeared. She's still sleeping on my bed every night & I cuddle her morning & night & that's been helping a bit. Sweetie still spends most of her day in her hide & her poops for the last 2 times stunk through the water (she always poops in her bath), so I got a fecal sample today & for Lonzo too as he's going in for his annual check up. So I'll get some answers tomorrow am & I'll let you know right away. I'll feel better when I know & I have a very good exotic vet that's been seeing Sweetie since 2006. She's very knowledgeable about beardies & loves when I bring mine in, no matter what the issue. I may need blood tests on her as well, we'll have to see. Her colours are normal, even though she hides so much, she doesn't get really dark at all and she turns her lovely gold colours when I cuddle her & when she's sleeping.

I went to visit Eric & Tara this eve, pick up a bit more food to stretch them until a week Friday when Eric gets paid again. Getting Roger's SS this month made all the difference, so I told Eric that all the extra food was from Dad's pension. That made Eric feel better, as he doesn't have to pay me back. He was having coniptions trying to figure that out. My mom and dad helped me out alot when Eric was little & we were living on just our salary, and she refused to let me pay her back, so I'm just doing the same with Eric.

So Didi has decided that he should be the ONLY dragon on the living room ramp. He black beards me & bobs at me when I put him back in his tank so one of the other dragons will have their turns, too. He's so funny, since he's gotten used to the Power Sun (he had a Solar Glo before that konked out), he's up the earliest in the morning waiting for his light to come on. Once he's been under the light for a couple of hours, he's ready for the ramp...he's back to being our fierce little Didi again. It's good to see, but he still has to share :D Now Leo is getting used to his Power Sun too, he also had a Solar Glo & he was fine under it until about two weeks ago. When I saw the signs (less energy) I replaced it right away. It took Didi amost 2 mo to get used to the power sun, so I'm hoping Leo will get used to it earlier. It's been terriby hot here the last 4 days, up to 84F in our living room, so I've been turning the lights off at 3p, so the dragons can cool down. By then they've been eaten all their food & basked for 3-5 hours & their poops are all good, espeically Didi's. Since he got that enema from our vet & left a huge poop the next day with a huge hard urate, I've been giving him water & babyfood squash & his urates are now small & soft & he's pooping regularly. What a relief that is!

i'm off to bed now, I've got to be on the road at 9a for our 10a appointment.

Will keep you posted.

The other good thing that happened today, is I got a card from work with 14 sigs from friends at work. It was so great to read all the entries, I've known these ladies since I started in 1993, so was good to hear from them. Now for thank you notes! or maybe thank you's through Facebook messages. I'll decide tomorrow.

Eric is coming over to wash my car, it's really dusty & he's doing this to pay me back for the groceries in a good way. He's still really grieving for Roger, which is coming out as anger, so I'm going to call the social worker from the hospital & see if there's any help for him. He has no extended health through work, but there must be another way to get him the help he needs. I'll see what I can fine.
Deb

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
I have 2 boys in Eric's age group an they seem to display anger in place of sadness too. I hope you are able to find some help/relief for Eric.
I know it's got to be very hard on him as well.

Gus acts like Didi. :lol: He thinks he should rule the house...everything is his and he doesn't like sharing. :lol:
He head bobs everything and anything. He's sitting outside in the outdoor enclosure right now bobbing away...at what I might ask? :lol:

Hope the vet visit goes well. :wink:

special-ger.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom