Nathaniel, Cierra, Castiel, Freya, Grrl; RIP GABRIEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
We never expected to get another dragon, but our neighbours next door wanted to give away Cleo, as he was called. We'd babysat him before, he's such a sweetheart. We nicknamed him Velcro because when he snuggles he never wants to go back to his viv, he hangs on as if he's made out of velcro.

So here he is. Today was his first day with us. He ate 13 supers and ate some squash, not bad for the first day he was here. He's only in a 30 gallon tank, which will be ok for now. He's 18" long but weighs only 200g. We figure he's probably 2 yrs old. Our neighbours rescued him last fall, they found him and a female (which they named Puff) on Craig's list. They were in a 30 gallon dirty tank, with sand and a huge log that took up 1/2 the space in the tank. Leo was at the bottom, he was sooooo skinny. He's gained weight, but never got the attention he deserved. I took some pics today, but will take more tomorrow. I think he remembers our place as didn't get stressed as I expected. No stress marks at all. When we let him run around the living room, he noticed our girls and immediate black beard, so his hormones are working!

He had a bath this morning, had a big poop, no smell, so not worried about parasites.

So here are a few pics, he's a yellow & dark gray, light gray colour.

Under the communal power sun in the living room:
sweetie2008401.jpg

Discovering there are girls in those tanks up above, he has a great black beard for such a skinny boy:
sweetie2008403.jpg

On the couch, he's got a pretty diamond pattern on his back:
sweetie2008412.jpg

sweetie2008413.jpg

Hope you enjoy
Deb and my six dragons :D :shock: :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry: :( :love5:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
I just love the hug pic with the roses, very pretty & as usual your cyber hugs warm my heart. I'm getting Sweetie & Lonzo ready to go. Got the fecals yesterday. So hopefully there's nothing wrong with either of them. I'm very concerned about Sweetie, she's not her usual self yet, even though yesterday she spend a good part of the monring on my head, it's her favourite place!
So that was good to see!

I'll let you know when I get back how everything went.

Thanks again Barbara, it's great to know you're thinking of me, as I always think of you...FRIENDS FOREVER!
Deb

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
I remember the pic of Sweetie sitting on her favorite spot. :lol:
Hopefully it's just she misses daddy and will get better in time just like you an Eric will.

I'm glad you don't mind all the hugs.... :)
Yes, "FRIENDS FOREVER!" :love5:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Absolute, friends forever. I found out that my vet does board beardies but she only has 1 set up, so I'd have to get 4 tanks & set up over, but that wouldn't take any time at all if I'm able to visit you. So I'm tentatively planning a trip next September, maybe. It'll depend on $, too, but it's in the planning stage. Katrina is also close in WA so I want to drop in to see her too, maybe on the way to your place. I haven't figures anything out yet, have to start saving $ first. My mom & dad's 60th wedding anniversary is in 3 1/2 yrs, and my mom did say something about travelling, so that'll be another even to save for. When I get the $ angle sorted, I'll be able to put $ away more, especially when I pay off the car only owe $2k on it. This will all depend on getting the ins policy. and the death benefits. I'll be sure to let you know :D :D :D :D :D

Lonzo had a great checkup, he's really healthy for an old guy :wink: . She checked everything, was puzzled as to the tail, but as it's warm & all the blood vessels are reaching to the end of his tail, she wasn't concerned yet. Said if anything that way changes to let her know. She checked his walk, which is fine, and pronounced him very healthy.

Sweetie is still there, the vet found a lump & wasn't sure if it was just a left over egg from Feb or something else. So she stayed behind for regular xray & barium xray & she also tested the fecal but was in surgery when I called, so couldn't give me the results. So I call at 5p, I think Sweetie will be there for the night & I'll get her tomorrow. I'm hoping no bad news...so pray for Sweetie, k?

I'll let you know when I get the results at 5p.
Deb

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
WooHoo! :blob8: That would be so awesome! :mrgreen:

Super Duper Huge Prayers For Sweetie!

Who will you sleep with tonight? :(

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
No one, the boys wander too much, unless maybe Lonzo would like the honours, he has to bask a couple of more hours, I was late with food today, then when he heads for his hide, I'll transfer him to the bed, see how that goes. I'm hoping Sweetie can come home tonight but won't know until 5p. I'll let you know.

I'm serious about travelling next year some. I'm going to get my passport when I get the ins $ in. It's good to have it anyway, in case I'm close to Pointe Robert, the gas is cheaper there.

I'll keep you posted, thanks for the positive thoughts! I would be so sad if there was anything wrong with Sweetie after our 5 yrs together, so praying hard it's just nothing.

Friends forever!
Deb

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Thanks so much Mary, I'm praying there's nothing wrong. We have an excellent vet, she's been taking care of Sweetie since she was 6 mo old. She's seen all our dragons & her findings are always spot on. I took little Didi in because he was lethargic & not pooping & wouldn't stay under his UVB. She gave him an enema & the next day he pooped the biggest poop ever with a huge hard urate. Ever since them I'm giving him water & babyfood squash daily & he's pooping his regular daily or every 2 days & his urate is now soft. So I trust her with all my beardies. She really enjoys it when I come in. At least Lonzo had a great visit, I'm just waiting to see if his fecal shows parasites, but I don't think so. For Sweetie, I think she has parasites, her poop was really stinky the last couple of days (through the bath water, no less). So I'm waiting on that, too. Fingers & toes crossed that she's ok. That would just be too much if she was sick, too.
Deb

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Just heard from the vet, Sweetie's staying overnight, poor dear. I hope she'll be ok & not freaked out. They want to take another barium in the morning & another straight xray. They did the fecals & both Sweetie & Lonzo have parasite eggs, so I'll get the medicine tomorrow. I think I'm going to take in fecals for the other 3, as they share the ramp, so it's time to change the towel & wash them all in hot water & bleach. They don't share the tanks, but they'll all have to be cleaned out, too, once the meds are finished.

I'm just hoping that they don't find anything wrong with Sweetie, praying my baby will be ok.
Deb

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Deb, I'm praying REAL hard for Sweetie. Perhaps the lump was just one egg that she didn't pass and they will remove it and that will be the end of it. Hopefully you can bring her home tonight, I know you both would miss the cuddling and sleeping together. That's great that you have such a wonderful vet and completely trust her.

That's really good that Lonzo's checkup went well, no concerns there.

HUGS to both you and Sweetie. Please be sure to let us know.

Guess we posted at the same time.

So, they do both have parasites, did the vet say what kind? Some meds and probiotics should get them straightened out for you, poor things.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Oh darn I really was praying she'd be home with you tonight. :(
Hugs and prayers Sweetie...don't be scared.

Maybe or should I say hopefully it's an egg like Diane said.

Sorry Lori! :) I know you mentioned egg bound a few days ago as well.

prayer_26.gif

Fecals on all would probably be a good idea since your's are like mine an all roam the same areas when out an about.
Sorry you have to deal with parasites on top of everything else, but at least you know what to do.
That will keep you busy. :wink:

It would be so wonderful if you could actually come down this way :D ...this is exciting! :blob8:
I can't wait and so look forward for the opportunity to give you a real hug instead of a cyber one or :roll: hundred. :laughing6:

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Barb, I only thought of egg bound because Deb mentioned it. I now think Miss Y had eggs that I didn't know about. She was skinny and if she did have eggs, she wasn't healthy enough for it. We saw two or three long skinny yellow things in her tank one am. They were about the size of a calcium tablet. We didn't know who had given them because they both slept in the same tank. From what I remember of them and what I know about eggs now, neither one showed any indication of having eggs. Rosie was going nuts for more than one month this last spring but neither of our first two girls showed anything like that.

I do remember Miss O after Miss Y died, she hid just like Deb mentioned Sweetie was. She had two things wrong at that time, one was because her best friend died and the other we found out just short of two months later, severe kidney failure, that was what the basic blood tests we had done told us. We were going to have a couple hundred dollars worth of blood tests run on her but she died the next day after her vet appointment.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Hi Lori, we were posting at the same time. Angel died of severe kidney failure, too, didn't show a thing until 3 days before she died, poor dear. So I know how beardies will try to hide their upsets as much as possible.

Thanks Diane and Barbara, I'm hoping it's just an egg, too. Lonzo has been settled on the bed & is sound asleep, no problem there. The parasites makes sense with Lonzo, he'll only stay up 3 hours if he has the choice, sometimes I have to block off his hide, then he just jumps on top instead. So he's asleep & happy, he just won't be so happy when medication starts.

So praying that Sweetie is ok. i call the vet at 11a tomorow to see what's up & when I can pick her up. Good thing I still have lots of Roger's Social Security left. That'll pay for the vet, which is good news. I also get paid tomorrow, so that will help too.

I'll let you know tomorrow.
Deb

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I remember when I called the vet we took her to, they said that if there is something causing their lack of appetite (Miss O had been eating less over time) whatever is wrong will get worse faster (or something along those lines).

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Hi Lori, I know what you mean, I'm hoping that Sweetie will be ok, I'd be so upset if I lost her at her young age. i've had her since she was 4 mo old & she was my first dragon. I know I would still have 4, but I would just miss Sweetie so much. So I'm praying hard that she'll be ok.
Deb

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Thank goodness Lonzo had a good checkup. Too bad that both of them had signs of parasite eggs.
Fudge, I was hoping to keep reading and see something like "Sweetie's ok and I'll be picking her up soon". Hope the overnight stay won't stress her out too much.

Super duper hugs and prayers to you and your babies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip
Top Bottom