Nathaniel, Cierra, Castiel, Freya, Grrl; RIP GABRIEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
We never expected to get another dragon, but our neighbours next door wanted to give away Cleo, as he was called. We'd babysat him before, he's such a sweetheart. We nicknamed him Velcro because when he snuggles he never wants to go back to his viv, he hangs on as if he's made out of velcro.

So here he is. Today was his first day with us. He ate 13 supers and ate some squash, not bad for the first day he was here. He's only in a 30 gallon tank, which will be ok for now. He's 18" long but weighs only 200g. We figure he's probably 2 yrs old. Our neighbours rescued him last fall, they found him and a female (which they named Puff) on Craig's list. They were in a 30 gallon dirty tank, with sand and a huge log that took up 1/2 the space in the tank. Leo was at the bottom, he was sooooo skinny. He's gained weight, but never got the attention he deserved. I took some pics today, but will take more tomorrow. I think he remembers our place as didn't get stressed as I expected. No stress marks at all. When we let him run around the living room, he noticed our girls and immediate black beard, so his hormones are working!

He had a bath this morning, had a big poop, no smell, so not worried about parasites.

So here are a few pics, he's a yellow & dark gray, light gray colour.

Under the communal power sun in the living room:
sweetie2008401.jpg

Discovering there are girls in those tanks up above, he has a great black beard for such a skinny boy:
sweetie2008403.jpg

On the couch, he's got a pretty diamond pattern on his back:
sweetie2008412.jpg

sweetie2008413.jpg

Hope you enjoy
Deb and my six dragons :D :shock: :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry: :( :love5:

slavetoIzzie

Sub-Adult Member
Hi Deb, just checking in on you. How are you holding up? My "crispy critter" Putzy and Oscar send their scaley love to you and your crew.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Hi Frances, I'm feeling a bit better, not keeping much food down, but that's just stress & it will pass. I'm finding I just wander around the house, cuddling the babies, seeing my family, writing thank you letters (I got 2 beautiful bouquets, one from work & one from a friend of my mom's) and getting on this forum. So many people sent me condolences & prayers & they've helped keep me strong. Taking care of our 5 dragons has helped, not to forget our golden gecko. Sweetie is now officially sleeping on Roger's pillow & wrapped in his favourite blankie. She sleeps there every night & turns her palest golden yellow, meaning she's happy. Helps having her there, too, can pick her up anytime for a prolonged cuddle. Sweetie was the beardie most affected by Roger's disappearance as her tank is in the living room & she watched him getting sicker every day. So she's feeling better now. The boys have become accustomed to sleeping in a bit later in the am & I have all morning for baths, etc. So that all keeps me busy. I suppose the sadness will be with me for a long time, even though I'm relieved that he's at peace & out of pain.

Thanks for thinking of me, Frances, it warms my heart. I'll always picture Roger in beardie heaven, with Issy in one hand & Angel in another, surrounded by all the lost beardies. So I know he's having a ball up there, tall, straight, no pain & just fun & laughter. Keeps me sane thinking that way. He wasn't a people person, so beardie heaven makes much more sense.
Talk to you soon,
Deb

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
Angelhugs4you.jpg

Thinking of you Deb, I'm so glad Sweetie is comforting you, she's missing Roger but loving you and wants to be close.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
1964243yd7nkrc23p.gif

Deb, please know that I'm still thinking about you and your babies, especially Sweetie.
Hope you had received my last message in FB, and that it didn't upset you too much.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Thanks, Barbara, Diane, Christine & Gina, they help so much. I find I'm still wandering around sometimes, but I went out with my cousin Janet & her hubby Neil last night for dinner. They live very close to a beach & that's where all the restaurants are, so it was a great evening. Before we went out I played with their dog Penny Lane, she's very affectionate. I also saw Janet's daughter Jennie & her fiance Tristan, they're getting married on Aug 13, it's going to be a great party!

I'm feeling Roger's loss a bit more these days & even talk to him, so I guess I'm working through being alone. Haven't lived alone since I was 25, but I've never had issues living alone. The apartment we had is still not sorted, even though we moved last June. I'm going to stay, as it's easy to get to work from here & easy for people to find when they visit. Roger never wanted people over, so that's now going to change, which suits me fine. I got fed up fighting with him about visitors and would visit them instead, but now people can come over for a picnic at the big park across the street. It's full of picnic tables, too.

I'll probably miss Roger every day, and I do talk to him often, but I'm no longer living his life, now I'll be able to live my own. It's freedom & sadness at the same time.

Our dragons are doing fine, Sweetie still sleeps on the bed every night & the boys seem to be content. I have a feeling the Solar Glo isn't giving out as much UVB as even a week ago, so I'm on my way to the petshop to get him a Power Sun. Didi got a power sun, but I didn't realize he'd had no UVB for about 2 weeks & was starting to act funny. Now he's under his light for most of the day, it's a great improvement.

Deb

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Hi Deb,

I'm sure you are missing Roger alot and I am sure he hears your every word. I hope with each day that passes it gets easier for you. I cannot imagine being with someone for that long and then being alone. I am happy that you have all your babies, family and friends to help you through this time.
I completely understand the sense of freedom you are feeling right now. I was in an abusive relationship for many years before I met Tyler. So, I know what you mean about being isolated from the rest of the world. Roger's passing is sad, I know, but I hope you will be happier now and have a well deserved fullfilling life.
Hugs to you dear!

slavetoIzzie

Sub-Adult Member
Hey Deb! My Mum went through the same thing when my Dad passed away. He was the original hermit, didn't like going places or having visitors. The last two years of his life, he pretty much lived in his easy-chair and Mum ended up house bound with him except for brief visits when doing the groceries. It was a sacrifice she made willingly for his sake.

After the funeral, she slowly started going out and about, meeting new people and seeing new places. Now she's rarely home and in fact leaves for Ucluelet beginning of next month, to visit my oldest sister, then to Red Deer, to visit my younger sister and attend her 2nd wedding. After that she's off to Sault Ste-Marie, to babysit her grandpuppies (my stepbrother's 4 Newfies). Finally back home mid-September!

She lived "their" life with my Dad and now she's living "her" life. She misses him and still talks to him often, but it's a good kind of missing because she has 30+ years of memories and she knows he's at peace.

Give Sweetie and the Boys a kiss from me and take care of yourself.
Frances

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Thanks Dawn & Frances, you've made me feel better already. I'm envisioning the same thing, now I'll be able to have friends/family over when I want. Once all the paperwork is done (we have a postal strike going on in Canada & they've all been sent back to work by government decree for tomorrow, so waiting for the mail to stabilize so I can get paperwork to Ontario for insurance purposes). Some paperwork was done today. He comes home at the end of this week in a pretty urn, until we find time to spread his ashes. I'm also giving a party at my sister's home (she's got a bigger house with a backyard) for all family & our friends to get together & celebrate that Roger's out of pain & in a better place. That'll be in September, when everyone's home; I'm going to cater it, so have to wait for ins to come in to pay for it. My best friend is going to Paris for a month, she's leaving on July 5.

I'm finding it takes all my time just to remember to eat & feed the babies. It was good to be out last night. I was out for over 2 hours today, just picking up paperwork, dropping it off at the Gov't office, and shopping, doing other errands. Got a new Power Sun for Leo, his Solar Glo was one of the good ones but it's just past dated, so he'll get that tomorrow. Also bought tons of worms & crickets (for Rocco, the gecko). So am slowly cleaning up & putting stuff away. I'm over to Eric's this eve for a couple of hours, that always helps us both.

Thanks again Ladies, for helping me feel better. I really do appreciate it, alot!
Deb

pyrovamp

Hatchling Member
hi hi

i cant find words to say how sorry i am that Roger has past time doesnt heal wounds fully but it can help and im glad you have your friends and you babies to help you im just a teen but ive lost family i hadnt seen for 8 years cause my dads a soldier but time has helped.ive read you fourm from page one to 53 one day and i dont think i every posted anything but im here if you want to talk and hopefully i can be a new friend to you. i think no matter the age or space if there are people you can count on then you can get threw a day. and Bowen my beardie says srry and hi to your gang as well

i hope you feel better and that everyone is able to help you and your family heal, many happy wishes

jasmine :D

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I'm glad you have people to help you through this time, Deb. We are praying for you. Get used to your new life, by yourself. It's o.k. to be alone, you need that. I've seen many people that, after the death of a spouse, they get married again in a relatively short time and it doesn't work out. If you want to talk, let me know.

protiemama

Gray-bearded Member
OMG- Deb, I am so sorry for your loss! :cry: I have not been on for almost a month and was shocked to catch up on your story. I had so hoped he would get better. I have no words that haven't been said by others. Sooo, what they said. :) You are in my heart and in my prayers as you begin this new phase of your life. Stay strong. :love5: :love5:

sympathy.jpg

CUDDLE.jpg
HUGS

Sandy H

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mangomom
Top Bottom