Nathaniel, Cierra, Castiel, Freya, Grrl; RIP GABRIEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
We never expected to get another dragon, but our neighbours next door wanted to give away Cleo, as he was called. We'd babysat him before, he's such a sweetheart. We nicknamed him Velcro because when he snuggles he never wants to go back to his viv, he hangs on as if he's made out of velcro.

So here he is. Today was his first day with us. He ate 13 supers and ate some squash, not bad for the first day he was here. He's only in a 30 gallon tank, which will be ok for now. He's 18" long but weighs only 200g. We figure he's probably 2 yrs old. Our neighbours rescued him last fall, they found him and a female (which they named Puff) on Craig's list. They were in a 30 gallon dirty tank, with sand and a huge log that took up 1/2 the space in the tank. Leo was at the bottom, he was sooooo skinny. He's gained weight, but never got the attention he deserved. I took some pics today, but will take more tomorrow. I think he remembers our place as didn't get stressed as I expected. No stress marks at all. When we let him run around the living room, he noticed our girls and immediate black beard, so his hormones are working!

He had a bath this morning, had a big poop, no smell, so not worried about parasites.

So here are a few pics, he's a yellow & dark gray, light gray colour.

Under the communal power sun in the living room:
sweetie2008401.jpg

Discovering there are girls in those tanks up above, he has a great black beard for such a skinny boy:
sweetie2008403.jpg

On the couch, he's got a pretty diamond pattern on his back:
sweetie2008412.jpg

sweetie2008413.jpg

Hope you enjoy
Deb and my six dragons :D :shock: :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry: :( :love5:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Thanks Gina and Christine, and Dawn, the prayers help alot, he sure needs them, he's gone so much downhill. I talked to Jennifer, my favourite nurse & she told me Roger has fluid in his lungs, his ankles are very swollen. So they've put him on a catheter & are giving him water pills to help drain it all away. He's also getting good painkillers that help him sleep & bits of Ativan to calm him when he gets restless. When I'm there I rub his legs and arms, it helps with the circulation, especially now that he's bedridden. His cigarettes are no more & all his smoking clothes are back home. He has 2 pairs of sweat pants, t-shirt & socks just washed in a bag behind his bed, but he won't need them for awhile. He's got a t-shirt & long sleeved turtleneck on, so his shoulders don't get cold. I cover him with warm flannel blankets when I'm there, that also helps when he's kept warm. The Emerg nurses do the best they can do & check him constantly during their shifts, but if trauma patients are brought in they need to help. So getting Roger off the Emerg floor is important now. I'll see what's being done about that tomorrow.

I'm resting when I get home from the hospital & taking at least an hour nap. Last night I got to sleep at 11p & didn't wake up until 6:40a, so got a good night's rest. I'm going to do the same thing tonight & hopefully will feel better tomorrow & make it to my dad's. If I'm worse, I'm not going anywhere but the clinic to get my puffers to help this go away.

I'll keep you all updated.

The babies have been wonderful, if I don't pay enough attention to them, they forgive me. I have to get more critical care into Didi & Sweetie, they spend alot of their day in their hides if I let them get away with that and aren't eating a whole lot. I'm not sure why, but I think they're the most sensitive of our dragons & Roger disappearing like that has upset them both. So I spend alot of afternoon time cuddling dragons, which makes me feel better, too. I think I'm going to hire a neighbour's 15 yr old son to help out with the dragons. He has lots of reptiles of his own & won't even take $, but this would be a regular job, as when the time comes that I"m back to work full-time, they'll need to have someone they know pop in for an hour in the late afternoon, that way they won't be alone for hours at a time. I'm also going to get timers on the lights, so if I don't get home before 6p one day, the timers will turn off their lights.

I know I've taken on alot, but it's my job to do. Having Jake come over will help alot. His mom Cami is our building manager & has known us for 5 years now. I've cut down my hours at the hospital for a few days, go only 2 hours in the am & 2 hours in the pm, so have lots of time to take care of me. I hear you Gina & Dawn & Christime about that. I've been lectured by the nursing staff already and have heeded what they've said. I'd be of no use to Roger if I got really sick.

Thanks again everyone, you're helping me keep sane, this is getting so difficult to deal with.
Deb

Deb

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Deb, thanks for all the updates on Roger. I'm glad they got the feeding tube in him. I'm sure he isn't happy about that but it is so necessary. I'm sorry to hear about the fluid in his lungs, etc, poor guy. Hope he can get into a semi-private room very soon. That's good that you have insurance that will cover it all.

Good that you have someone that can help you out with the beardies, that will help lessen the load a little now and when you go back to work.

Take care of yourself and get all the rest you can, you need and deserve that. Rest is the body's way of healing. Make sure you don't wait too long before you go to the clinic to get your inhaler. We're all very worried about you and Roger.

29-Flowers.gif

HUGSFROMME.gif

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Hi Diane, I'll be at the clinic tomorrow morning when it opens, I won't be going to see Roger tomorrow at all. Once I get my puffers it won't be more than a day or two & it will start clearing up. It doesn't take very long for a cold to turn into bronchial asthma for me, it's my weakness, so I know I'm not infectious, but I still stay away from everyone. The drag is I'm supposed to go to my folks' tomorrow. She thought I just had a cold, but I think I've been working on one for awhile now. I've got lots of family to help & with all your & everyone else's good wishes, it's such a help, such a great support for me. I now know how easily you can get over-stressed emotionally in this kind of situation. At least the nurses are great about keeping me up to date when I call in. I'll do that in the morning & I'm going to have to cancel going to my folks, I don't want to take any chances of them getting sick. I'll just have to move Father's Day to next week sometime. My brother Richard & his two daughters Emily & Carly will be there tomorrow at lunch, so even if I can't make it they won't be on their own.
I'll keep you posted,
Deb

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Thanks Barbara, I wish you lived closer too. I got a call from the hospital last night at midnight to let me know that Roger was really failing, his liver wasn't functioning anymore due to the cancer & he's now failing fast. My mom, dad, sis, sis-in-law, Eric & Tara were all with me today at the hospital, they took me out for lunch, then back to the hospital, then they took me out for supper & then back to the hospital & home. I'm exhuasted, didn't get to sleep until 3a & it's been a long day. Never did get to the clinic, but can hopefully get there tomorrow afternoon. The hospital has a call in to the social worker to help me once he passes away. He's just a shell, it's so sad to see, but now I know that the not eating was all due to cancer. I'm sure going to miss him.

I wanted to thank everyone for all your prayers & thoughts, you've all helped me stay strong during this rough time.
Deb

athenacp

Extreme Poster
Oh Deb, I haven't been on line all weekend and just saw this, I am so sorry to hear this, I will be keeping Roger and you in my thoughts and prayers,

Mary

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
Oh Deb, I'm so sorry to read this news, I'm praying for Roger's comfort during this time and for you and the family..........We love you and are here for you!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
I just got a call from the hospital, Roger has passed away; he's now in a better place & at peace, poor love. So just wanted to let all of you know. I'm waiting for the social worker to call to get back to the hospital to start proceedings. I'll let you know.
Deb

athenacp

Extreme Poster
Oh Deb, I am very sorry, but at least now he is free of pain. I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers and if you need anything let me know.

Mary

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
Dear Deb, I'm so sorry, but he is at peace now, my prayers continue for you, Eric and family. We're here for you. (((((((HUGS)))))))

condolences2018-1.jpg

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Deb, I am so sorry. I was really hoping that there'd be good news to read about today.
Please feel free to reach out to me whenever you need a cyber shoulder to cry on or just to scream out of frustration/anger/sadness.

Sympathy%20Card%20-%20His%20Journey%27s%20Just%20Begun.jpg

slavetoIzzie

Sub-Adult Member
I'm so sorry for your loss. Wish I lived closer so I could give you a real hug, instead of this ((((HUG)))). Angel and Issy are probably snuggled up to Roger as I type this, so at least he won't be alone.

Give Sweetie and the boys a kiss and a cuddle. I'll check up on you later tonight.
Frances

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Oh Deb, I am so very sad and sorry to hear that Roger has passed.
I know this is a very painful time for you, but know I am here if you need anything at all.
I am glad to know that you and Eric are surrounded by family right now and I hope that having them there will bring you some comfort.
Keeping you in my thoughts.
((Hugs))

b2cb4466b327e543c0979c2e6e3c6fb8.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quantum
Top Bottom