My new enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evin

Check out my new enclosure... please leave your comments, suggestions and ideas! Thank you!

10xvczl.jpg

8wfb77.jpg

116tcwk.jpg

Evin

Original Poster
Yes it's walnut shells and I do use sand as well and my dragon does not have any problems with either one and I will never put him on tiles or carpet or w.e other stuff there is, so the substrate stays no matter what.

RedInkAus

Hatchling Member
Evin":f5cb3 said:
Yes it's walnut shells and I do use sand as well and my dragon does not have any problems with either one and I will never put him on tiles or carpet or w.e other stuff there is, so the substrate stays no matter what.

I don't wan't to argue with you but why the firm stance on the substrate, do you like the look of it or is it better for the dragons?

Evin

Original Poster
It is a desert reptile and it is more natural, I used to have him on paper towels as a baby but everytime he would jump off a piece of wood it felt like a needle piercing my heart and ever since i got him sand he seems to be more playful and loves jumping and running around

Evin

Original Poster
And for those people who are paranoid with their lizards getting impaction - my dragon does eat sand from time to time and i do see it coming out with his poo and i believe as long as you are using a regular sand (without calcium or any other additions) it will never cause any impaction. I believe that lizards (as any other animals) use sand as "cleaner" of their system some animals eat grass or even dirt to clean up their body. I think if you take a good care of your lizard and keep them in good health sand will not cause any problems

Trogdor_1

Juvie Member
Yes, sifted and washed playsand has few risks for adult dragons. Crushed walnut shell, on the other hand, will rip open the intestines of a reptile. And as far as natural goes... Where do dragons live on crushed walnut shells in the wild? Beyond that, how many dragons die of impactions in the wild? I would rather not risk my dragons life over the look of sand.

Evin

Original Poster
will rip open the intestines of a reptile.
Will rip? So your 100% sure? oh... i guess i'm seeing his intestines running around my tank...

how many dragons die of impactions in the wild?
Really...... how many? As far as I know bearded dragons are not listed as species in danger nor they are in a red book

And as far as natural goes...
So you think that natural is wrong? And nature is complete b.s and fish should not live in water type of thing?

And sand is not about a look its about a comfort of my pet. And i don't feel comfortable when i hear my lizard falling on hard bottom of a tank I'm sure he doesn't either...

muzikfreakah

Juvie Member
Evin":053d6 said:
It is a desert reptile and it is more natural, I used to have him on paper towels as a baby but everytime he would jump off a piece of wood it felt like a needle piercing my heart and ever since i got him sand he seems to be more playful and loves jumping and running around

That is why in the desert they dont live as long and as a pet they live longer. If you want your dragon to live as if it were in the wild and die as if it were in the wild then by all means keep the substrate :-D Gluck!

Evin

Original Poster
muzikfreakah":47b1f said:
That is why in the desert they dont live as long and as a pet they live longer. If you want your dragon to live as if it were in the wild and die as if it were in the wild then by all means keep the substrate :-D Gluck!

Yes I'd rather have my beardie live as it was in a wild... than have him scratching ceramic tile all day long

muzikfreakah

Juvie Member
Evin":4e198 said:
muzikfreakah":4e198 said:

Yes I'd rather have my beardie live as it was in a wild... than have him scratching ceramic tile all day long

So you bought a domesticated dragon, born in captivity to make it live like a wild one and die young right? Aitey bro, its you call!

Trogdor_1

Juvie Member
Muzikfreakah already covered it.

And I did not say walnut shell will rip the intestines out. I said it will rip them OPEN (as in, while they are still inside of the dragon). And it will. Ever seen how sharp crushed walnut shells are? Bring up the size ratio to human scale and you swallow some pieces. Lets see how well it travels through your gut.

And again - where in the world do dragons naturally live on CRUSHED WALNUT SHELLS?

midnight_962002

Sub-Adult Member
Hey all,

I agree with Trogdor that you shouldn't use the Walnut shells. As for you argument with the sand. I am not sure that you are taking it in the right direction. Sand does pose an impaction risk. While it isn't as big of a problem as the walnut shells, it is still an issue.

As for the argument that this what they live on in the wild. Think about it this way. How much more sand surface area is there in the wild than in your enclosure. It is a cleanliness factor. A dragon in the wild will poop and go away from it. In many cases far away from it. Your dragon poops and can't get away from it. I bet your already thinking that you sift the sand all the time. Well, bacteria and parasites will fall through with the good sand right back into your enclosure and all you have really done is moved it around.

With that said. I don't see a problem with using sand providing you change it often, and I mean very often. Thats why I don't use sand for my adults. I have to many cages that I would be changing and that would cost me way to much money, regardless of which sand I use. Once my babies are eating I place them on sand. There are several reasons I do this, and next year I am going to experiment in using other non-particle based substrates like repti carpet. The sand for the babies are changed evey weekend. I go through 50 pounds of sand every couple of weeks.

I hope that I didn't offend anyone because I didn't mean to. Just my .02

Ernie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kpurlett
Top Bottom