Enrichment

Hailey1110

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Hi, I’m trying to find enrichment ideas for my baby. He doesn’t like the cat toy bell balls or anything like that. Does anyone have any suggestions/ideas? And I wanted some options on one I was thinking about, he really likes the feeder balls but I want him to have something for when I’m not home too. What if I put dried veggies in it, since obviously I don’t want to leave loose bugs in his tank. He gets a bowl of fresh veggies every day but I figure the dry ones would work better for that just for some enrichment.

ChileanTaco

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
For enrichment, my Taco loves looking out of the window.
Luckily, his enclosure has glass also on the back and is in front of window. I have seen that some people modified their tank so that there is a small window in the back panel - I know, that's more complicated than just putting in something, but maybe this would be an option if the enclosure is next to a window and the back panel of the enclosure, if not already glass, can be modified?

Otherwise, Taco is also not very fond of things like cat toys (yet?). But he loves digging, and he loves live plants. Maybe this would be an option, offering him some herbs? All the kitchen herbs are good for bearded dragons, too. It's best to get an organic one, and then put the potted herb in the enclosure. He will have to stretch his body to get the herbs! (If too high, putting a stone next to it can help.)
For the digging: Play sand mixed with excavator clay (that's a special reptile product) - the cave he often uses for sleeping and where he's now brumating, he dug it on his own to a shape he finds comfortable. I prefer this over a hut that cannot be modified by the dragon.

Chris.

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Mine both like the natural setups with loose substrate to allow for digging and some branches for climbing.
They also can not (really, never!) get enough of those foam backplates. They will climb them up and down all day (both, the baby and the adult love them) :)

ChileanTaco

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
@Chris.

Exactly the same is the case for my dragon. That's why I love (!) naturalistic setups.
My dragon loves climbing the background and the branch (he has one big curved branch, some parts with bark, some without). As he's on loose (not dusty!) substrate, too: He dug his cave exactly to his liking. Inside his cave, to the left, he made a triangle-shaped notch where his head fits exactly in and down. Towards the right, there is a slightly higher part where he can lie, head elevated, to look out. He made it; I just provided a heap out of sand and excavator clay. While growing, he has always modified it to make it fitting his body size and shape. I personally think that's better than e.g. a hut that cannot be modified.
He also loves eating from live plants.

I have never the impression that my dragon is bored. (The view out of the window might also contribute to that.)
My dragon seems to like to be in his enclosure. He could technically come out as often as he wants (my husband works from home, I'm at home usually from the evening on), but doesn't even want each day. If he wants to come out, he appears to be happy outside (tail curved upwards, no stress marks, nice bright colors), so he for sure isn't fearing that, but often he just doesn't want to come out. From that I would say, he's very comfortable and happy in his enclosure.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom