Mouth rot

LotusPetal

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Bean
My beardie was sick and wet to the vet on Wednesday. The vet said that he had early stages of mouth rot and prescribed a .5ml dosage of SMZ+TMP twice daily. I’ve been giving him his medication and daily soaks but he seems to be getting worse. He’s extremely lethargic and doesn’t move much, doesn’t want to eat, is now wobbly/unstable, and tries to hurt himself after I give him the medication. He tries to hit his head on things and was flipping himself over after I gave him the medication so now I have to hold him and be super careful while giving him the medicine. The vet said it could be 3-4 weeks of no improvement but his mouth and overall condition seems to be worse, I don’t know if I should call again or keep giving him the antibiotics.

Images can be shown in the thread here Reddit - Dive into anything
In the images you can see the sore he has at the top of his mouth, new yellowish crust on his bottom jaw, and the yellow mouth.

Hazelthebeardeddragon

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel
My beardie was sick and wet to the vet on Wednesday. The vet said that he had early stages of mouth rot and prescribed a .5ml dosage of SMZ+TMP twice daily. I’ve been giving him his medication and daily soaks but he seems to be getting worse. He’s extremely lethargic and doesn’t move much, doesn’t want to eat, is now wobbly/unstable, and tries to hurt himself after I give him the medication. He tries to hit his head on things and was flipping himself over after I gave him the medication so now I have to hold him and be super careful while giving him the medicine. The vet said it could be 3-4 weeks of no improvement but his mouth and overall condition seems to be worse, I don’t know if I should call again or keep giving him the antibiotics.

In the images you can see the sore he has at the top of his mouth, new yellowish crust on his bottom jaw, and the yellow mouth.
So first since the behavior with trying to hurt himself I’d kind of baby proof the tank. Maybe take out some of the hides or logs and if you have any smaller tanks I’d move him into one of those for temporary use. What is your UVB and your Basking bulb? Can I get a picture of the tank?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4

Having some others look at the dragon and have them advise
@CooperDragon
@AHBD
@Drache613

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
How was he acting sick before the vet saw him, was he lethargic, not eating ? I'm asking because those are symptoms of brumation which many owners mistake [ and vets ] for being ill. His gums look slightly red but I don't see mouth rot.

LotusPetal

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Bean
How was he acting sick before the vet saw him, was he lethargic, not eating ? I'm asking because those are symptoms of brumation which many owners mistake [ and vets ] for being ill. His gums look slightly red but I don't see mouth rot.
Before the vet he was breathing with his mouth open even when not under his basking light. It looks like he’s gasping for air & his throat seems a bit swollen. I’m unsure if it could also be due to brumation since he’s still sitting under his basking light for the majority of the day.

LotusPetal

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Bean
So first since the behavior with trying to hurt himself I’d kind of baby proof the tank. Maybe take out some of the hides or logs and if you have any smaller tanks I’d move him into one of those for temporary use. What is your UVB and your Basking bulb? Can I get a picture of the tank?
I’ve taken most of his decor out and just have the basics now to help prevent him from hurting himself. His UVB is a 10.0 and his basking bulb is a Zoo Med Repti Basking Bulb 100W.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Before the vet he was breathing with his mouth open even when not under his basking light. It looks like he’s gasping for air & his throat seems a bit swollen. I’m unsure if it could also be due to brumation since he’s still sitting under his basking light for the majority of the day.
Poor guy, that sounds more like an R.I.
If you think he's worse you might want to discontinue the 2 doses of meds. a day, I've never heard of that. Try a little raw unpasteurized honey mixed with lukewarm water to soothe his mout + throat. Maybe find a new vet.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It does sound more like a respiratory issue to me, also. I agree with AHBD, if he is feeling worse
since being on the SMZ+TMP I would take him off of that right now.
Do you have a nebulizer you could try for him, if his respiratory issues are worse?

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom