Meet my baby Jude

Status
Not open for further replies.
So excited to get my first bearded dragon! Did lots of research but still worry I'm getting it all wrong. He/ she shed today which was a bit worrying but as soon as the skin was gone she was running round again like a maniac. This is her post shed. Does she look okay?
80349-6206958485.jpg

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
That is true just glad he isn't losing weight. He'll catch up one day. For now, he has his own speed of growing.

Nancy87

Original Poster
Jude is doing great. She is shedding again so must be growing and now weighs 123 grams.
80349-8125796471.jpg

80349-9986945781.jpg

She scared us a bit this morning as she kept puffing her beard out and opening her mouth but I think it was just part of her shed after reading up on here. She ate plenty of locusts and didn't have a black beard at all. As you can see from the pictures, she looks happy and healthy.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
My Cierra puffs her beard out every morning, we call it stretching their beard. When they're shedding they gape their mouths, too, helps loosen the shed.

Boy she sure is growing, that's a great weight!

Nancy87":hanrv4e8 said:
Jude is doing great. She is shedding again so must be growing and now weighs 123 grams.
80349-8125796471.jpg

80349-9986945781.jpg

She scared us a bit this morning as she kept puffing her beard out and opening her mouth but I think it was just part of her shed after reading up on here. She ate plenty of locusts and didn't have a black beard at all. As you can see from the pictures, she looks happy and healthy.

WOW! Jude is beautiful! I bet you can tell if she's a boy or girl at that size. Take some pictures with her tail held up and we can see! How long is she? What a healthy grower. I am impressed. Where did you get her from?

Nancy87

Original Poster
Not been on for a while but Jude continues to grow. She weighs 200 grams now at coming up to 6 months. I will try and get a photo to see if you can help me sex her as I really can't tell. She is so greedy that she runs to the glass when I get her locusts out,and the other day she jumped right out on top of the tub.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
That sounds perfect for 6 mo old. She's doing so well. If you want to have her sexed, this is what to look for.

This is Cierra, the small lump in the middle shows she's a girl.
11887-6462511713.jpg

This is Gabriel, the lumps along the side of the tail shows he's a boy
11887-746654976.jpg

To check you have to pull the tail up 90 degrees and see what type of lump she has.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I'm glad for you. Boys are just so much easier and funny when they start bearding. Soon enough you'll be greeted with a black beard and a bob or two :lol:

My Puff is at the vet being spayed & Cierra is full of eggs. Nathaniel got out when Cierra was out and did the deed. I feel so bad, it's my responsibility to make sure my boys and girls are safe. So she's been digging away in her lay box for 2 days. I should hear from the vet soon about how it went with Puff. I'm so hoping all went well and she does well.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Hey Jude is a he! Awesome stuff. Be careful, boys can be troublemakers LOL! I'm kidding.

Broly is 10 1/2" if you were wondering. So he's getting big.

I don't keep girl beardies for the egg reason and I feel she'll die on me. So I get boys instead.

Nancy87

Original Poster
Hello everyone. Jude is continuing to do well but I was looking for some advice about him growing up. He is now 17 inches and just over 400 g. We think he is 10 to 11 months old now. He is still fed twice a day with salad and about 30 locusts in the morning and about 15 morio worms in the afternoon. He eats everything and more!
He is still shedding regularly and has just had a full body shed.
When do I cut down to feeding once a day and lower the amount of protein?

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
You don't have to until he's almost 2 years old. He still has some growing to do. So keep doing what you're doing for another year, then you can cut down on his bugs to 1/2 what he's getting daily. The rules of thumb is 35-50 bugs a week for adults, salad every day. When they get older they can be fed every 2nd day, too, especially once they're full grown, but stick to that rule. When Leo got really fat I put him on mainly a salad diet with not alot of protein to get him to lose weight. He lost the weight (he's 8 yrs old) but when I had a blood test done, he shows low protein, so I increased his bugs, but he still got really bloated. I took him to the vet, she took 40 cc of fluid out of him and it was a light purple. Well seems, low protein caused his blood vessels to lead. So how I'm back to the 45-50 bugs a week, he's improved greatly. He goes for another blood test in Oct and I'm hopng the protein levels are back to normal. So lesson learned, dragons need their protein. And at Jude's age, he needs his protein to keep growing as he'll grow until he's 2 yrs old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom