mating season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayson745

Hatchling Member
I have eggs in the incubator right now accidentally. I bought a female not long ago that turned out to be already pregnant. I hear things kind of heat up in the spring, but its not a deal breaker. You can get them to breed whenever. Just make sure your ready for it because it gets crazy when they throw multiple clutches in a row. Lots of mouths to feed, and they eat a lot of bugs.

jharris08

Juvie Member
most people do breed in the spring...mainly b/c allowing your dragons to brumate over the winter months helps them to be more healthy and viable during the breeding process...if you can do this then i would def suggest it....if you think they are healthy enough and you are certain you are ready 4 breeding and raising little ones...then you can probably put them together to breed in march sometime. another thing is how old are they? males should be at least 12 months and females more like 18 months before trying to breed them....and make sure you are not housing them together right now and and after breeding...they only need to be together for 5 or 6 days max to breed.

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
You can breed them when the female is ready and starts exhibiting breeding behavior, this is when she will be receptive towards a male. Males will usually try to breed any time, but females will only breed when they are ready. If she is acting restless, maybe has a slightly black beard and end of her tail, if she head bobs like a male, and displays her colors brighter than normal, her hormones are high at this time and she will accept a male. It doesn't mean she will accept your male, I've seen females that were too dominant for some males, but most likely she will. If she is not ready, she will fight him or just try to get away. Also if she is ready, she will either initiate him to chase her, or like run up to him and get his attention, then she will not resist him when he tries. First time males don't always know what they are doing and may take a few tries to get it right. Some of them will bite any part of the female to latch on, maybe because they are so excited, then many miss the spot and get a foot or something. Its best to be there when it happens and to make sure they lock up.

jstouts

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
well, my female just walks away sometimes, other times she does this weird headwave thing to the male and he tries to mate her

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
She might be ready or cloe to being ready if she is not resisting much. Neither one has experience, so it may take several times before they actually figure out how to do it. Just have a little patience and keep trying, the more you watch, the more you learn to understand about their behavior. If she has already brumated, feed her well and plan accordingly so that you will be ready when they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom