LG ~ The Handi-Capable Bearded Dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirby

Extreme Poster
oh Denise, its not only big girls who get it.... Puppy has a huge sack of fat and excess skin for a beard, t used to be a nice lttle plump sack with a nice collar fold... but it got bigger, and saggier.. . it allows them to beard and also acts as a fat store... as he puts on the grams, it will probably get plumper and saggier.. lol

atreyu917

Juvie Member
kirby":fb938 said:
atrayu.. what on earth were you feeding him.. ? :puke:

Oh yeah...that stuff. I took this picture the one and only time I gave him Nature Zone Bites for Bearded Dragons just to try and see if he liked it. As you can see, he didn't touch it at all. This picture is pretty old but it's the best of his beard. Trust me, he is on a really good diet of veggies every day and superworms every other day. I never get any of that kind of stuff at all anymore.

Zefraner

Hatchling Member
I know this is a wee bit late, but I to have had my share of heart attacks when having Ish outside. Ugh...I was just sitting outside on my porch reading a book while he was just chilling on my leg. Normally he just sits there and sun bathes while we are on the porch and if he ran I always caught him as he was climbing down my leg...Not this time... :shock: ...Apparently a worm too decided it wanted to check out our porch, it wasn't just any worm, it was a about an inch long, YELLOW and HAIRY. Man he took off like a frickin bullet right down my leg, he was just that excited. Thank the stars he decided to study it for a second or else it may have well been down his throat. :shock: Ugh...I slid so fast off that chair I put holes in my jeans...Well he sure keeps me on my toes.

And since this is my first time on this thread, I too just want to chime in and say you're an amazing person for what you are doing with LG.

angelkitty

All I can say is WOW!!! I am totally amazed at this story-brings tears of happiness to your eyes. I have 2 rescue beardies: 1 is 1 1/2 years old and was kept in a 5 gallon her entire life (until now of course) and she is a little bigger than my 4 month old and I have a 5 year old rescue that was skin and bones when I got her, she has no teeth left, missing almost her entire tail and part of a foot but is now putting on weight and starting to live a normal beardie life in luxury of course! I have a soft spot for rescues and the under dogs of the world and this story was absolutely amazing and I commend you for all the hard work and dedication you put into making this little beardies life so amazing!
Angel :love5:

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
lizardgrrl, that is hilarious :lol: . ive noticed the two that i have in my room watch the screen while im on the computer. i showed the female a video of herself and she seemed to recognize it was a bearded dragon on the screen.

im putting some new pics and a vid up. hope you like em :wink: .

atreyu917, wow i see what you mean. i guess as long as its symetrical i have nothing to worry about. new pics up, enjoy :wink: .

luvthydragon, well here is something else to smile about... i put up another video of him eating crickets and some pictures too. enjoy :mrgreen: .

beardie parents, yea im starting to see its pretty normal. i cant believe i didnt see it growing. one day, i just looked really close and noticed it was different than in his older pics. thanks for the reinforcement :wink: .

denise, yea i originaly thought LG was a "she" but i wast really sure. LG was never aggresive or dominant, thats more of a female trait ive heard... now that i hear females have bigger throats it might be settled. i want to have an experienced person do it though, i dont want to hurt him... PLUS, i dont want him having memories of me probing and poking at him. i would rather him rememeber me as the one who rescued him from that guy :roll: ! thanks for your insight.

Zefraner, oh man... that is a good thing your beardie is a thinker! i wish my dragon would stop and think about things before he ATE THEM :mrgreen: . thank you very much. i appreciate you taking intrest in my little guy. new pics up, i hope you enjoy them.

angelkitty, thank you :D ! its great that you take in needy dragons too. i love the feeling i get knowing they are "living in luxury". if you wanna take a look, i just rescued these two about 2 weeks ago:
http://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=88238
i bought them from a petstore that was mistreating them... they were never sick, just sad. now their cage is awesome. its so clean and fresh looking compared to the way they were being kept. thanks again for your kind words, hope you like the new pics :D .

alright you guys, here are those pics:

lgoutside2.jpg

heres a pic of LG in his "outside box"... thats a piece of carpet i bought from walmart for 2 bucks. i didnt want to use it in the other dragon tank because their claws might catch.

lgoutsideclose.jpg

fuzzy but cute.

lgoutside.jpg

another pic of him in his sun box :mrgreen: .

heres another video of him eating crickets. i didnt realize it was out of focus until i uploaded it...

thanks for everyones support :D . i appreciate all the pointers and tips ive recieved since i joined, only a few months ago.

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
Wow, he's cute! I love the little "happy dance" he does at the beginning of the video, when you're getting the crickets ready. :love5:

Pookachu

Hatchling Member
Havent been on the forums for a while and cant believe I missed this thread somehow when I started to read up on here again last week.

Only got to read a few pages so far but I just wanted to say ... WOW. It's a horrible story as to what happened to the little one at the store but such an amazing one with what you have done for him. Thank you, it is very relieving to know that there are good people out there.

-- Eugene

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
Good morning,

So nice to see the pics and videos, the patience and anticipation on L.G.'s face waiting for the next cricket is priceless. Have you ever put L.G. in a small feeding tank and let him hunt the crickets? I wouldn't put the usually cricket amount in but I'd bet it would be cute and you'd probably see some quick movements........... I used a 10 gallon container and mine would eat many cricks at one feeding............... they need so many while growing the 1st year.

Thanks for your other 2 "rescue" thread............I will have to catch up.

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
Hi again,

Oops, I forgot to answer your question......... re: L.G. being more active outside and not inside, why?............. I'm assuming L.G. is very familiar in his viv, but also knows when he's outside, he's probably saying.............Yippee!!!!!!!!!!!!...........Time to explore........... and then he's off. This behavior is very normal.......... and proves how adjusted and comfortable L.G. is with his/her surroundings. Have you lifted his/her tail yet to check the sex of your beardie?.................. Don't be afraid.............. L.G. won't feel invaded by this........... don't forget............ your the daddy and his/her protector.......... not a preditor.

Bugs and wishes,

lizardgrrl

Sub-Adult Member
Hi Jason,

As always, LG Looks Great! I really like the happy dance, how could anyone resist that little wiggle? :love5: A beardie in the cricket tank is kind of amazing to watch! It's worth trying at least once, although I had the crix in a ten gallon tank, which give a beardie room to turn around. As far as sexing LG, the article here http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/sexing/ is very good and the best method I have found. While some people use a wide range of other methods, the better indications I have used are the width of the tail below the base, bulging a little wider for male, evenly tapered for a female, and the semipores, a series of small vents on the bottom of the thighs, sometime rather craggy on a male to almost non-existant on a female, but neither of these are as accurate as the method in the link. I hope this helps, and keep up the happy dance! :laughing6:

(my guess is grrl, let me know if I'm right :laughing6: )

Zefraner

Hatchling Member
I enjoyed those pictures very much! That video was just priceless, he or she is so cute!
Mine usually isn't much of a thinker with food considering he attempted to eat not one, but two fire ants :shock: . I always end up catching him in mid jump as he leaps of my leg.
Can't wait for new pictures!

luvthydragon

Juvie Member
Hi Jason-

That video was precious.....the little "happy" wiggle while he was waiting for the first cricket and tilting his head waiting for each one. ADDORABLE!

I don't know how you handle those crickets with your fingers :shock: ....but then again, you've performed amputations :shock: , been a viv engineer :shock: and several other amazing things for this little guy. Such dedication is amazing.

Thanks for sharing the smiles :D

Take care and best wishes to you and "The Clan" :D

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
from the looks of it, LG's happy dance was a big hit :mrgreen: . i didnt ever think of it as a happy dance, but after it was mentioned i took another look. he does seem to do that when ever theres a moment of anticipation; when im about to pick him up, when hes asking for more water, when i talk to him or when i open his cage... hmm, i guess i learned something today 8) .

jasper's mom, thanks for checking in. i put up 1 more video of him eating. the camera ive been using died half-way through his dinner during this vid so you dont get to see all 12 crickets go down :shock: ...

Eugene, thank you :D . hes doing great, last night he ate more crickets in one sitting than he ever has. he's made such a thorough recovery, he is constantly learning new skills to help him overcome his disability. once again, thank you for the kind words.

i wont go too much into it, but i read your post in 18+ off topic. i think you were in the right. i would have done the same thing. it makes me feel good that im not the only one who would've gone crazy after witnessing such gross incompetence and disreguard for life. thats pretty much what happened to LG only that little guy wasnt so lucky. anyhow congratz on the wedding man, hope things are smooth sailing from now on :wink: .

kirby, new video complete with happy dances :wink: ...

beardie osk, i havent yet tried a feeding tub with him. hes a different kind of eatter than those other two... sometimes if he misses the cricket the first time i give it to him or if i hold it too tightly he will give up. he just backs up a couple steps and closes his eyes. he might not be quite so picky anymore, ill have to give it a try. it would sure be fun to see him chase his food for once.

i think your right about him loving his outside time. wen he in his cage he is usually on the side where he can see outside. he only glass dances on that side too. every morning when im leaving for work, he begs me to take him outside right as the sun is getting strong. once outside he'll do anything to stay there. if i come to pick him up after 30-40 minutes he goes into evasive action! i wiggles and squirms right out of my hands like a little snake :mrgreen: .

im still weary of sexing him myself. i would much perfer someone else do it, im just so inexperienced and would die if i hurt him somehow. ill try to get some detailed pics of his "nether-regions", maybe someone here could help. untill then i put up a new vid of him up, hope you like it :D .

about the other two; they sure are something else :roll: . i am starting to get an idea of what it really means to have a bearded dragon for a pet. those two eat about 50X more veggies(by mass) than LG and about 3X more crickets, the big ones too. when LG poops it take up a little spot the size of a nickle and dries out quickly. when those two poop i have to take mostly everything out of the cage and disinfect it. its alright though i didnt bring them home as pets, i brought them home as rescues. if i were looking for a pet that was easy to care for i wouldnt have brought these two home. lots of updates have been made on those two, every page of that thread has beautiful picture updates.

thanks again :wink: .

lizardgrrl, hey! yea, im going to try the feeding tub in the next couple days. i might have to squish the crickets before dropping them in, otherwise he wouldnt be able to catch them. thanks for the insight, ill take a close look and "see what i can see" :roll: . like i said, im going to take some pics and maybe you could check them out and give me your opinion. your probably right about being F. LG doesnt seem to have many of the male traits ivre read about.

anyhow, theres a new feeding vid up. it seems like these are what people like so ive been trying to take vids of his meals, enjoy :wink: .

Zefraner, thanks :D . i havent been letting him run around too much on the ground lately. instead, i put him in his outside box. its one half of the box my guitar came in, so its got a wierd taipered shape:
100_4543.jpg

things could still fly or fall into the box but at least this way i can control what crawls up to him.

thanks for the comment, i hope you like his new dinner vid :D .

luvthydragon, hello :D . the crix dont really bother me, so long as they dont escape in my house. i am a light sleeper and the noise from ONE CRICKET would force me to call an exterminator. i was thinking about trying freeze dried crix with him since they dont move anyhow(i squish their heads be fore handing them over). that would be more convenient and if he didnt mind it would make things alittle less complicated.

i just wanted to mention that when i removed the part of his arm it was already long gone. im sure it had been dead for a couple days and i just didnt want it festering so close to his body so i removed the dried up part. i know it sounds like a barbaric procedure but i didnt have a dollar to my name, any credit cards or a car. im sure you understand but still; i feel bad for not taking him directly to a herp vet.

his cage is really working for him, with his little limbs. the ramp is just steep enough to where he has to work alittle to get up to the top(about 10-15 seconds). the ramp helps him "climb" 6 inches higher than he could normally reach on his own. i wish i could put him in a 60 gallon, that way i could install a more gradual, but higher ramp. thats out of my price range but one can dream cant they :lol: ?

hope you like this video of LG. it would have been longer and accompanied by some pics but the cameras batteries died :roll: .

thanks again everyone :D .

p.s. to anyone who hasnt seen my two new beardies, heres their thread:
http://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=88238&hilit=&start=0
i brought them home as a rescue from a local pet store. i couldnt stand the conditions they were being kept in so i decided to take real action.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom