LG ~ The Handi-Capable Bearded Dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Wow Jason I didn't realize it had been that long sense I visited this thread. I didn't even see the pic's and video that you posted back on the 8th. I'm so sorry, I guess I was tired from out trip.

L.G. is just so darn adorable I just want to squeeze him and give him a big kiss. I love your outdoor guitar box that's a good idea especially being he likes to eat things off of the ground.

Thanks for sharing your precious L.G. with us I just love him. :love5:

luvthydragon

Juvie Member
Hey there Jason-

Yet another darling video....Can't get enough :D

I thought of the freeze dried crickets too but my BD will not drink water AT ALL (tried the dropper, the bath, misting, running water down the side of his tank, etc.....) I'm afraid he only gets water from what he eats so I'm afraid to try them because I'm sure they have very little "juice" in them. I still give him baths even though he gives me all kinds of dirty looks....If you try the freeze dried please let me know how it goes.

As always, Thanks for sharing the smiles.

Take care - Best wishes to you and "The Clan"

protiemama

Gray-bearded Member
Jason- before putting out the cash for freeze dried crix, have you tried putting the live ones in the frige for awhile before feeding. It slows them waaaay down and he might like to grab them himself. I have seen him pounce on things outside so I know he can move pretty fast. :lol: Put him in a seperate box and dump a few chilled crix in front of him and enjoy! And please get video. :D

Sandy H

lizardgrrl

Sub-Adult Member
protiemama":9fe18 said:
Jason- before putting out the cash for freeze dried crix, have you tried putting the live ones in the frige for awhile before feeding. It slows them waaaay down and he might like to grab them himself. I have seen him pounce on things outside so I know he can move pretty fast. :lol: Put him in a seperate box and dump a few chilled crix in front of him and enjoy! And please get video. :D

Sandy H
Sandy, this is a great idea! I hope it works! The other thing I've heard of people doing is taking the large back legs off the crickets to slow them down, and that may slow them down enough to give LG a little chase, rather than an overwhelming situation. Even with three and a half good legs, Hob was fascinated but sometime a little shy about this fast moving food, starting when she was about 4-5 months old. She was a massive eater prior to that, then slowed down considerably for a while. I couldn't put as many crickets in at one time, because she almost seemed to panic, running at the side of the feeding tank instead of eating, "let me outta here with all these bugs." I did try pulling a few legs, but I also changed what she was getting, adding more worms (silk and butter worms at that time) and more veggies, and she picked back up. No problem now! I hope LG does well with slower crickets! :love5: to LG and all of you, as always!

MaryAnn

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
In the very beginning of Z&W life before I decided that it would be best to not allow them to hunt their own food I use to remove the back legs of the crickets and refrigerate them to slow them down.
I think it might be a good idea to give it a try. :D Rather than trying the dehydrated ones.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Jason, do you remember when you were asking about the big beards on beardies? I took a picture of Redrock on my husband's shoulder a few days before her injury. It's not a very good quality picture as the only digital camera I have is on my cell phone but it does show what her beard looked like at 2 years of age. I was going to try to get a little better picture, as sometimes I get good pics from that camera, but I never got the chance.
Redrockandchin.jpg

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
barbara, ive been using that guitar box alot more lately. theres just too many creepy crawly things outside this time of year. this way, hes at least protected from the ones that are in the grass/dirt(but not flying ones :roll: ).

thanks again barbara, ill be checking out your threads after this :wink: .

luvthydragon, i know what you mean about the "moisture from the food" thing. my dragons dont drink standing water so i give them lots of crisp, wet greens. i havent gotten a chance to buy a can of the freeze dried crix but when i do ill let you know how it works out. thanks again, new pics up :D .

protiemama, i havent tried feeding him in a seperate tub yet. i should try that, it would make things easier. i could just leave him in the feeding tub for a couple minutes and let him learn to chase his own food. ill be sure to take a vid when i do :wink: .

lizardgrrl, i wish i could afford better feeders like phoenix worms or silk worms... until then im gonna give the frosty crickets a try. new pics up, hope you like em :wink: .

beardie parents, wow! that is a big beard. he must get every little thing his heart desires :mrgreen: . wonder how big my little guys will get :roll: . some new pics are up, enjoy :D .

PICS:

i decided to put some of those 6x6 tiles into LGs cage. here are some pics of the new floor from different angles:

LGtile22.jpg

LGtile1.jpg

LGtile4.jpg

LGtile5.jpg

LGtile6.jpg

it looks cluttered with the decoration in the middle like that, i plan on taking the habbahut out and putting the decoration in its place on the cool side. any comments are more than welcome :D .

atreyu917

Juvie Member
I yhink it looks great? He seem to like the new tiles? I love how carpeted LG's tank is. It is so perfect for him.
Now I have a question! Does he poop on the towel all the time or does he poop when you give him baths? Cause it'd be a pain to clean that carpet all the time. haha

Kelsey

luvthydragon

Juvie Member
Hi Jason-

LG's new "pad" looks very nice. Does he get along well on the tile? Is he using the habba hut much anymore ? He might get mad if you take it out. He's such a cutie.

Let me know how the freeze dried crickets work out for you. I'm pretty sure my local pet store doesn't carry them but if they work out for you then it might be worth the hunt :) My guy has all his limbs but still won't chase them. I think he's just lazy. He knows I'll herd them his way so he just sits in the corner and waits. :whip:

Like the pics and a video of LG chasing crickets on his own in his own feeding tub would be awesome. You could make money on pay-per-view with that one :D

Take care and best wishes to you and "The Clan"

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
Hello Jason,

I think the viv looks great............ the plants still allow for alot of floor room................ the only concern would be if L.G. stayed under the leaves and didn't get enough light for digestion.

What will you use in place of the habbahut for L.G. to hide/sleep in? Does he not like that anymore? I love the way you have the rolled sections tight on the sides, if I remember correctly, you were hiding wires, right?

The pics are always great............. L.G. is so precious................ I can barely stand it............I think of his beginning and compare him with how proud and content he looks now.............great job, Dad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bugs and wishes to all,

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
atreyu917, he usually poops on the tile. now that ive overhauled his tank it is mostly tile so that should make for an easier clean up. the last thing i have to do is cut those two first tiles on the top part; they kind of stick up so i need to trim about an 1" off each one. thanks again :D .

luvthydragon, he seems to get around fine on the new tile. its rough so he can get traction, he even climbs up the hill with little difficulty. i installed a half-carpeted ramp just incase that is easier to climb than the tile. ive decided to keep th habbahut in there so long as he doesnt spend all his time in it. lately hes been spending alot of time up on the basking side of his cage. today i plan on freezing crickets myself to see if i could get him to adapt to a feeding bowl. wouldnt it be great if i could just dump 6-8 crickets in and just let him eat his fill? ive been moving in steps, last night i didnt let him take food from my hand. i placed it about an inch away on the tile so he had to reach for it. hed still rather be hand fed but he eventually reaches for it :D .

if i do the feeding tub thing i will definitely take some pics :wink: .

beardie osk, i decided to keep the decoration and the hut in there. the hut will stay on his cool side so long as he doesnt spend all day in there, and the decoration will be at the back/center of his cage. it hides a flaw in the back tiles i am unhappy with :roll: . there are no wires under the back tiles, i actually just wanted to tile to whole area and the 6x6 wouldnt fit so i used the "edge tiles".

i also look back on his "baby pics" now and then and am amazed by how much hes grown. he is a happy dragon alright, thanks again :wink: .

ill try to get so more pics up soon everyone, i just need to relax alittle today before racking my brain with this pic upload thing.

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
Hi there,

Just an added note, I think if you freeze the crickets you'll kill them, I've only heard folks putting them in the frig to slow them down a little, not the freezer.

Also, you can do what I do with one of my boys and his cave. If he had it his way, he'd stay in his cave all day.......soooooooooooooo, I stuff up the holes with soft blanket pieces, therefore he doesn't hide, and can still lie on top if he wants and then I remove the pieces when its night.

I hope you get a little rest before you get back to the grind of work. :)

mummybear

Hatchling Member
L.G.'s home is looking great, I must say he looks kind of smug in that 3rd pic as if he's saying 'now this is what I call class!' :D

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
hey everyone, sorry i havent been updating as often. ive been really busy the last couple weeks... when i get home i dont really feel like sitting in front of the computer, im just drained.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

beardie osk, for LG i would do the fridge thing but i actually wouldnt mind putting the crickets in the freezer for the bigger dragons. if the crix were dead i could just put
them in a bowl. if my larger dragons will eat crickets from a bowl i could feed them in their cage and that would make things a whole lot easier. i always worry that a cricket will escape into my room and keep me up at night.

ive been leaving the Hut in during the day lately because he doesnt spend all his time there. he has actually been spending most of his time on the higher end of his cage. im thinking about raising the cool side up so there is no ramp, just a level ground about 6-8 inches from the RS 10.0.

my day of rest came and went :| . i am currently battling a painful upper-respiratory infection and have had to take the last two days off. money is gone so i need to get back to work a.s.a.p. :shock: .

mummybear, i think he really likes the new setup. the tiles dont fit perfectly but he gets along just fine. he seems to enjoy the "bumper tiles" along the back of the tank. he uses them to prop himself up to get a better view of outside. im finally posting som new pics, hope you like em :wink: .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PICTURES:

enjoying the shade of a single leaf.
LGOS3.jpg

his basking spot.
LGOS4.jpg

getting sleepy.
LGOS5.jpg

"take me outside, please?!"
LGOS1.jpg

room with a view.
LGOS2.jpg

thats all for now, hope everyone enjoys them. i submitted a couple photos to alex for the calender. im hoping he makes it in, but we'll see.

KairaandTaz08

Juvie Member
I feel like I haven't been keeping up with my favorite dragon updates! I've been so busy with Kaira and Taz, it's just been so hard (you know the deal, they are getting better though :blob5: ).
LG looks GREAT. I love seeing new pics (you know that, too lol). He's a handsome little guy.
I'm sorry you haven't been feeling well. You must be having trouble keeping up with the 3 of them, work, and everything else. I hope you get to feeling better soon.
I'm about to check on the other two, now!
Abi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom