Kazi - RIP my special Wee monkey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Thanks Vicky!!!

No, I def dont want to be medicating with something strange but I do want to find out what options there are - at least I know the praziquantel is an option and if the vet disagrees and wants to go with Panacur then thats fine too... but, if the vet thinks that one more treatment with the panacur is ok, then I will think about doing it myself once a week. If hes only going to give him the panacur once more then that really isnt going to do any good when it comes to the eggs! And panacur is much more widely used so I know I can get lots of help with dosing that if absolutely necessary :D

It is good having that memory of her... Abu really did come into our lives for a reason - she was a BIG part of our lives and made us fall in love with beardies... AND the reason that we found our Kazi-man! If I hadnt been going to the store to get things for her I wouldnt have seen him.... if her new set up hadnt arrived the day we found him, I wouldnt have been able to bring him home!

Thanks again Vicky!

T

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is Kazi? I hope he is doing better now, how is his appetite doing?
If you need help dosing the Panacur just let me know, & I will help you not a problem. Maybe he wont need another round though?
I have been thinking about him & hoping that he was improving now! Happy Holidays.

Tracie

LJean

Extreme Poster
awe.. I bet Abu wanted you to know she is watching over Kazi. A very nice Christmas visit for you.

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Drache613":56c77 said:
Hello,

How is Kazi? I hope he is doing better now, how is his appetite doing?
If you need help dosing the Panacur just let me know, & I will help you not a problem. Maybe he wont need another round though?
I have been thinking about him & hoping that he was improving now! Happy Holidays.

Tracie

Tracie, he has been doing brilliantly over the last couple of days. He is eating a minimum of 3 locusts per day - usually more. He has been very very active tho - but I cant physically stop him from moving around. Today he found a new game - he spent about 15 mins lifting pieces of salad from his bowl and throwing them across his viv then ran to get it before doing it all over again! And he has turned into a total snuggle monster again - I had really missed his little sleepy wriggle! I am really pleased with how much better he has gotten over the past 2 weeks... I have to say a BIG THANKYOU to everyone who has been helping us out!

LJean":56c77 said:
awe.. I bet Abu wanted you to know she is watching over Kazi. A very nice Christmas visit for you.
Thats another way to look at it! It is nice to be reminded of her! Thank you!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello!

Great to hear that Kazi is doing so much better! So he is playing with his food again? That figures. He MUST be feeling better. I am happy to know he is wanting to snuggle again also, what a sweetie pie. :love5:
He doesn't sound like he needs another round of Panacur though. Can your vet get Droncit over there? That would actually be more effective against the tapeworms than Panacur, if he needs meds again. If he is doing fine, then, it is best not to medicate again.
Happy Holidays.

Tracie

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
Today he found a new game - he spent about 15 mins lifting pieces of salad from his bowl and throwing them across his viv then ran to get it before doing it all over again!

Awwww,I wish I could have seen him do that!! :D

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Drache613":39f0e said:
He doesn't sound like he needs another round of Panacur though. Can your vet get Droncit over there? That would actually be more effective against the tapeworms than Panacur, if he needs meds again. If he is doing fine, then, it is best not to medicate again.

I will ask the vet about Droncit on our next visit. Hopefully I will have the results of the fecal culture/parasitology within the next few days - that should hopefully tell us whether or not he will need the next dose!

He hasnt played with his food in so so long so I know he must be starting to geel much better - he used to scatter his food everywhere then run around cleaning it all up... so this game is a little different but if it keeps him eating then im all for it... I wish I had been able to get a video of it!

DragonMomSandy

Gray-bearded Member
I am really happy to hear that Kazi is doing so much better! It's a really great sign that he's playing with his veggies and eating them! I hope that he doesn't need that next round of meds, but, if he does, the droncit would be a good choice as it can more specifically target the tapeworms. Glad he's more snuggly again too, sounds like he's feeling more comfortable and in less pain from the gassy tummy. He's come a long way in a couple weeks! Hopefully he'll be back to his old self very soon.

It always seems there are little things that remind us of those we loved who are gone, it's both sad and a blessing at the same time.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello!

I hope Kazi is feeling better now. Keep us posted on the next vet visit, too.
I would love to have seen him throwing his greens around, that is so hilarious! I suppose he gets exercise that way & cures his boredom too! :blob8:

Tracie

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
spurlee01":9f767 said:
Lol, that is soo funny about his salad. I've never heard of a beardie doing that. What a nut!

O he is definitely a little nut.... from he was tiny he has always kept us on our toes - his first night home (8 weeks old) he fell asleep dangling from the clamp lamp.... it was also not strange for us to find him dangling from the screen top and when he moved into his 'big house' we frequently found him climbing even the smooth walls of the viv! Hence the name Kazi as in Kamikaze!

He had a bit of a rough night tonight. I guess he is tired out from the past couple of days. He was pretty quiet all day and a little grumpy... he went to bed early beneath his log and I decided to let my mother-in-law get him out for a cuddle tonight. About half 9, she went to check on him and he was wide awake with the black beard and tail. She has not seen him like this since the night we rushed him to the emergency hospital - she is usually fast asleep when he gets uncomfortable. She panicked a little and now thinks its all her fault for moving him but I assured her, I would have done the same thing and that he was a little off today anyways! Anyway, we told her to go on to bed and started our usual routine for when this happens - a nice warm soak, a little soy yoghurt and a little bit of running around. He just wanted to sleep on my hand in the bath - he really was tired but of course, the minute I took him out of there he went into explorer mode - his beard and tail still dark. I put him back in his viv but he just stared at me so I took him out, sat on the chair, laid him on my chest and wrapped my cardi around him.... he snoozed on and off for about 20mins before his beard finally calmed down - at that point, I put him in his bed before he went into a deep sleep - I positioned his blankie so that his head is raised a little because thats the way he was lying on me... within about 10 mins of that, his tail had gone back to normal too.

I hate it when he gets so uncomfortable - I just dont know what to do to make him better! It really is hard - I might actually call the vet and try to move the visit forward. Correct me if im wrong, but is serrapeptese a pain reliever? Is that found in silkworms? Should I try those? Sorry, lots of questions!

T

DragonMomSandy

Gray-bearded Member
Serrapeptase is a proteolitic enzyme shown to have anti-inflammatory and pain relieving properties, and it is found in silkworms (it is currently being extracted from silks for supplements for human use). The research suggests that it works quite well. It would be worth giving it a try, and see if it helps Kazi. Plus, silks are very nutritious so it can't hurt him to give them to him. If it doesn't seem to make a difference, or not enough of a difference, the vet can prescribe Meloxicam. Meloxicam is an anit-inflammatory and pain relieving med that is commonly used in animals (including reptiles), and can be safely used for short periods of time. However, as delicate as his system is right now, I would try the silks and see if they help him before using Meloxicam. If the silks don't seem to be helping after 3 to 4 days, then talk to the vet about the other to see if it could be used safely with his condition.

DragonMomSandy

Gray-bearded Member
Here in the US, they are really just starting to realize the benefits of this enzyme from the silkworm for human use. It also seems to be having very promising results in reptiles as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom