Kazi - RIP my special Wee monkey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
I know how worrisome it is when they aren't comfortable.You feel very helpless :( Well at least he did a wriggle right? Cover him with his blankie and eventually he will settle down and sleep more comfortably.
(((hugs)))

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Thanks Michelle. He is in his blankie now and hopefully he will continue to calm down.... my poor wee man!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Poor Kazi, hard for him to get comfortable and we all know how nerve-wracking and confusing it is for you too. :( Do you think when he's uncomfortable like that that he'd lay on a warmed rice or corn bag? And what about giving him a little probiotic every night before bed even if he only eats a little bit?

DragonMomSandy

Gray-bearded Member
It's good that Kazi was doing so well during the day, but too bad that the poor guy is uncomfortable tonight. I don't know about setting him on top of something warm, but maybe a big, cushy towel on the viv floor for him to wiggle into might help, that way he has a cushioned area to kinda squish into however he feels most comfortable and that might help relieve any excess, external pressure on that poor tummy. I hope that he get some rest tonight and is feeling better in the morning. He still seems to be coming along, even though he didn't eat as much today, he still ate something on his own. I hope that his worried mommy has gotten some rest too.

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
He doesnt like the rice bag or hot water bottle unfortunately.... Abu's pillow would be perfect for this tho - its like a beanie pillow which he could squish into... I dont kno if the OH would let me use it tho.

Kazi's fecal results came back in - he has a high number of worm eggs in that little tiny poop! The vet does not wish to give him panacur again until the end of December - he says he gave him quite a high dose and he prefers to give 2 treatments, 2 -3 weeks apart rather than a prolonged small dose. I cant spell what the vet said it was but it sounded like 'a-cam-de-seph-a-lin' althought that could be completely wrong!! He said its more something that you see in turtles. he also mentioned its a worm that generally needs a secondary host (something a bit like a tapeworm/fluke) so once it has been gotten rid of completely it is unlikely to reinfect him.

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Ok, so Kazi had another poop today so I collected it in a sterile pot and popped it in the post to a lab in England for an aerobic culture and full parisitology - I need some proper answers. Anyway, I was planning to get some panacur myself as the vet does not want to give him another round of panacur until beginning of January. The vet seems to think that it is best to treat 4 times, once every 3 weeks in order to rid Kazi of the eggs. I was going to get the panacur, and, with the help of some of you guys, I was going to dose it and give it to Kazi, daily for however many days suggested. I called the vet to discuss treatment again and suggested that Kazi needed treatment sooner. His argument for not giving more often is that he believe that treating daily, over long periods of time causes the worms to die off too quickly which could make them toxic/cause an impaction. Im very confused now!!

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
I know you have a tough decision to make on whether you should do the Panacur treatment on your own or not. The vet said the beginning of January? That's only another week or two. If it was me I would probably just wait,but you need to go with your gut instinct. :wink:

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
I forgot to mention.... this came out along with his poop today - sorry about the quality, I couldnt find the camera so had to take it with phone.

GetAttachment.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The light is so dim, sorry, it is hard to tell what that is. Is it hard or rubbery then? It could be a sperm plug possibly, but it is very hard to tell with that picture.
How is he doing today?
You should go with your gut feeling as to whether or not to treat him. I do agree with the vet though, do be careful overmedicating him. I would not give too many doses too close together. How many treatments did he have previously?

Tracie

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Tracie, it was almost stringy like skin... its hard to describe. I wish I could have found my camera but of course when I really need it, I cant - it did seem worm like tho.

He had 1 dose of panacur last wednesday. I believe that was 2.5mls of panacur suspension (although it could have been more as I was so stressed I wasnt paying attention), given with one of those syringes that goes right down into the tummy. The vet is suggesting that we wait until he goes in for his follow up blood test and x-ray - so that would be some time around the 8th January. That will make it about 3 weeks and 2 days since his last dose. Does that sound normal?

Im hoping once the fecal I sent away comes back I will have a few more answers regarding what this parasite is and hopefully a better idea of how to treat it!

He had a good day today - he is sleeping soundly now - I do hope he has a good sleep tonight! I was so shocked when he pooped today - thats 3 poops n the space of a week so he must be beginning to feel better!!

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
It is possible - I was talking with Janie via PM earlier and she thinks that the tapeworm has been the 'host' for the other parasites that were shown on the fecal which would def make a lot of sense.

I really hope the fecal I sent gets to the lab tomoro - that way they SHOULD have the results by Thursday and can email them to me - otherwise it will be Monday before I get them. I think some of last nights discomfort was caused by that poop brewing - last Tuesday he had a rough night and on Wed he pooped so I think there may be a little link there but then again maybe its just a coincidence... He is def getting a little more regular so thats always a good sign! :blob5:

Hes still sleeping comfortably - he decided he doesnt like this lack of cuddles/burrito and protested at the door of his viv until someone put his blankie in his usual corner (on top of a little cushion!) and then off he went to bed hehe!! So hopefully he stays comfy tonight!

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
When Buddy had a major bout of tapeworms a year ago, the vet administered praziquantel (common tradename is Droncit) subcutaneously, two doses over 3 weeks. Could that be what your vet suggested for Kazi?

Poor guy. Hope he'll be feeling better real soon.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Poor Kazi.It does almost look like a tapeworm in the center but the pictus fuzzy so it is difficult to tell.As for the meds what was the last dose and timeframe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom