Kazi - RIP my special Wee monkey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
vickson420":00462 said:
What did he tell you to do in regards to the gas?Also why the Panacur? How much did he give? I would be concerned about adding meds right now as it seems inconclusive as to why he isnt having proper bowel movements.

He said to get him moving about as much as possible - more exercise should hopefully help him to get that gas out of there!

I feel awful now tho - I didnt even think about the meds.... he said it and I just agreed - I was so busy fussing over Kazi that I didnt even really think about it. I think he said something about a tapeworm?? I think he gave him about 2.5ml but then I could be totall wrong there as I was not paying attention!

Michelle thats a great idea about the bath - Kazi loves to swim so Im gonna really start encouraging him to!

Sandy he is already getiing the avipro (probiotic) and the reptoboost (also with probiotic) - do you think I should add the soy yoghurt as well?

Thanks guys for all the support. I will let you know anything as soo as I do!

DragonMomSandy

Gray-bearded Member
The soy yogurt is going to be live cultures, so I would add it at least every few days. I know with probiotics for humans who have been on harsh antibiotics, our pharmacy always recommends the live cultures from a product we carry as it rebuild the gut flora much quicker. I would also keep up the avipro and the reptiboost, they will also help and he does seem to be benefitting from them. A tape worm would definately explain a lot! If you have to continue with more Panacur treatments, you'll want to use that yogurt for sure and probably continue with the critical care. Panacur, although relatively safe, is very harsh on their systems. You'll know more when the vet gets those results to you, you had a lot on your brain with all that was happening to Kazi while he was at the vets. It's understandable that you would miss some of the initial info, once the vet has all the results he'll have you up to speed quickly. More thoughts, hugs and prayers for you! Hang in there! Kazi's very lucky to have such a good mommy!

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
Isn't it a possibility to give him "too much" probiotics? I'm thinking giving him Avipro,Reptiboost AND soy yogurt would be an overload.

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Ok, i would just like to add, as a microbiologist here. Probiotics dont do anything. The live cultures of bacteria are very quickly killed off by saliva and the digestive tract. They are all dead by the time the reach the gut. Its a very big scam, and the probiotics companies cant give any scientific evidence for their claims.

The reduced pH that the yoghurt introduces, does kill off the overriding bacteria though, giving the normal flora chance to repopulate.

Yes give a yoghurt if you must, but its not the bacteria that do anything. I know that they are very little things, and antibiotics are very harsh on them, so giving a slightly acidic yoghurt would prob help a little, but it will do nothing in us humans.

Sorry for the rant there, but i have had many a debate with such probiotcs companies and its like banging your head against a brick wall. Not too long ago they were told their adverts were false advertising as they claimed they had 'scientific evidence'. I just get very angry at how they can blantly lie to a population and the majority of people dont know where to go to get the right advice so they believe it!

No really, sorry rant over.

How is Kazi today? Still no poop?? Exercise sounds like a good plan. Running and swimming always help Gizmo go!

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Gas huh ? hmmmmm Give kazi some mint... peppermint to be exact on the salad... mints have gas reduction properties as well as pain relief properties...
See if that doesn't help out ;)
Janie

DragonMomSandy

Gray-bearded Member
Sorry Bugsy, I'm sure you are quite knowledgeable on this as a microbiologist, I make the statement based on my pharmacists at work regularly recommending the Floragen products to patients taking antibiotics and apparently it has some affect. I don't know the break down or how it does, but, for whatever reason my pharmacists trust the product and are convinced that it is helpful in some way. They don't recommend anything they think is garbage (there are many, many crap products that are seen on TV that our pharmacists are always warning folks about), so maybe they are misled, but, every pharmacist I know recommends it to rebuild the good bacteria. Please, take no offense, this is not meant as an argument of any kind, just an explanation as to why I am under the impression that it works. So, even if it doesn't rebuild the good bacteria, it appears to have a beneficial affect in some way. Many have been using it successfully, so I still think that it should be beneficial to use after the harsh meds. Bugsy, you mention that the lower ph killing off the overriding bacteria so that the normal flora can rebuild, this is still beneficial, even if it doesn't directly add flora, it helps the existing come back to normal levels. This may be how it works in humans as well. (A new discussion to have with my pharmacists). Thanks for that info, I'd like to investigate that further and find out more about exactly why it works.

I don't believe that giving him the yogurt with the other products will hurt, the yogurt is a very different product, and if it's given about every 3 days, I think Kazi could benefit from it and it won't be harmful.

MissT, how's he doing this morning? I hope your still seeing some improvement!

DragonMomSandy

Gray-bearded Member
Hey Janie, I didn't realize that mint could be used. Thats something we did with the kids as babies for gassy tummies. Cool info.

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
:D Oh no, im sure they dont, and i didnt mean to sound argumentative, i just get into alot of these discussions at work (with the public) and i get very annoyed that the claims the companies make are difficult to prove right, its just bad science in my book, the yoghurt does help, its just the bacteria that dont. Its a very good idea though, and hopefully one day we will crack it!

Im not familiar with the product, im in the UK so spend time talking to actimel etc, im sure if they are recommeded it so strongly they have looked at some studies using that particular product. All this bearing in mind im a microbiologist for people, and the studies i have read are on larger animals such as dogs and horses, there may be one out there for reptiles that i dont have access to!

Sorry again everyone, its been a long day at work!

DragonMomSandy

Gray-bearded Member
No worries bugsy! No I didn't take it as an argument! LOL, but I didn't my my explanation to come across to you that way either. When I get to work today, I'm going to start this discussion with my pharmacists and see what it is about the product that they believe works and how. They do keep very up to date on new meds, both over the counter and RX, and they are very careful about recommendations (US people are lawsuit happy-no one wants to get suied). Floragen and Floragen 3 are the two products we carry in the pharmacy, refridgerated, and we sell a lot of it. I know there is some research out there on it's use in herps, I spotted some a while back that I had only a chance to skim through. I'll have to dig a little in my flash drives and see if I saved that info for later study, if I find it I can shoot you a PM with the info.

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Sorry I didnt get any of these replies until this morning and was in a rush to work!! I literally fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow last night - I was shattered from the previous nights worry!

Hes ok today... he got a little dark in his sleep last night :( but hes been lively all day today. I gave him some soy yoghurt today so I will give him more on Saturday or Sunday. He also ate a little bit of salad for me today :D

I never thought of mint.... I will get some peppermint tomoro and see if that helps him!

Still no word on his results - will probably be tomoro at the earliest, with the Christmas post etc everything is a little slower!

Will keep you all posted

T

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Amazing what a common herb can do isn't it ;)...
I'm quite interested to see if adding the peppermint will be the turn around... Mind you it is just to relieve the gas issue, not curing the problem...
Janie

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
zebraflavencs":1d52f said:
Mind you it is just to relieve the gas issue, not curing the problem...
Of course not.... but if it would give him some temporary relief then its def worth giving! I really do wonder what is causing it!

ChellyBeans

Gray-bearded Member
Most likely he developed an air pocket in his lung from a very minor cold or perhaps he swallowed some water and created a problem.

This is a pretty easy, nonsurgical fix. I really wouldn't stress about it. Keep him mobile (bath helps) and I am really interested in seeing how the mint will do for him. Give him some foods that are high in fiber to help flush him out.

Keep us posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom