Is 500 small dubias enough to start a colony?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riccolo

Hi everyone, i have a question?

Is 500 small dubias enough to start a colony in a future time if I feed my dragon (6 months old) with them constantly? :)

Thx :)

esn

Hatchling Member
Your best bet is to get those 500 small to hold you over and also get 10 female adults and 1 or 2 adult males. Otherwise, you need to wait for those to mature, then to breed, which will take longer. If you get the adults now they'll start producing and you can feed off some of the smalls. A good colony size that you can safely feed off of starts at 500 for one or two reptiles. Ten females and a male on top of that 500 should only be around $10 from a cheap company. Small isn't full grown. You can also get jump start colonies that usually contain about 250 individuals of varying sizes, but you're usually paying too much for those. It's cheaper to make your own setup, use your own food, and obtain the sizes you want for feeding.

patrickmb21

Hatchling Member
It will take around 3-4 months for those 500 to become sexually mature. if you wanted to get your colony started buy around 20 females and 2 or 3 males and the colony will grow pretty fast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom