Weight issues

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Nova is about 15-16 months old, a solid 19ish inches and 1.5lbs--a bit over 700g, I believe. Our vet said she is technically overweight and she could benefit from loosing some, but it's not detrimental right now. But I think it may be uncomfortable for her, she's been snorting more than usual when I pick her up. No outright wheezing or acting like she can't breathe, just that little outward snort they do sometimes.

But how do I do that.? She eats a few bites of her salad everyday, (kale, collards and turnips) and if it's a day she eats, she'll eat maybe four small superworms and/or a couple dubias roaches and maybe a hornworm. She's relatively active, we take her out all the time and her all time favorite thing is to run around the house and she will run constantly. She's the most active of them all. I don't understand how to...put her on a diet or help her loose weight. Feed her less.? Morally, that'd make me feel bad because she hardly eats as it is, part of the issue we were having with her when she originally basically stopped eating was that she wasnt eating (or would only eat one or two worms every few days) and was still gaining weight and I think that's still the case. What can we do to help her.?

Attachments

• 1698373390028494577298640381278.jpg
    1698373390028494577298640381278.jpg
    364.2 KB · Views: 41

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She's a beautiful girl. It is very difficult for them to lose weight once they've gained it . Just off fewer insects on certain days, she will be O.K. Then be patient, it will take a while. It's good that she's active, try to keep that up.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Switch out the supers for dubias or silks maybe?

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Nova is about 15-16 months old, a solid 19ish inches and 1.5lbs--a bit over 700g, I believe. Our vet said she is technically overweight and she could benefit from loosing some, but it's not detrimental right now. But I think it may be uncomfortable for her, she's been snorting more than usual when I pick her up. No outright wheezing or acting like she can't breathe, just that little outward snort they do sometimes.

But how do I do that.? She eats a few bites of her salad everyday, (kale, collards and turnips) and if it's a day she eats, she'll eat maybe four small superworms and/or a couple dubias roaches and maybe a hornworm. She's relatively active, we take her out all the time and her all time favorite thing is to run around the house and she will run constantly. She's the most active of them all. I don't understand how to...put her on a diet or help her loose weight. Feed her less.? Morally, that'd make me feel bad because she hardly eats as it is, part of the issue we were having with her when she originally basically stopped eating was that she wasnt eating (or would only eat one or two worms every few days) and was still gaining weight and I think that's still the case. What can we do to help her.?
At that age, an overweight bearded dragon doesn’t need much/if any protein. Try cutting back on bugs quite a bit, if she’s hungry she will eat her salad. In doing this, it might be a win win so she will start eating salads again.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
At that age, an overweight bearded dragon doesn’t need much/if any protein. Try cutting back on bugs quite a bit, if she’s hungry she will eat her salad. In doing this, it might be a win win so she will start eating salads again.
Even if, let's say in seven days, she eats a total of... Maybe 10 bugs total.? And that's being generous.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Switch out the supers for dubias or silks maybe?
With dubias, it's a hit or miss, sometimes she'll eat a couple or she'll turn her nose up completely. She's same with silk worms but the place that sells them won't deliver here because we've gotten them totally dead too many times just because it's so humid here a lot of the times.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom