I cannot help my dying beardie

maryjazzie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mona
Hello everyone, I have had my bearded dragon for only four years. She had always been in good health, with frequent check ups from the doctor saying everything was checked out.

Recently I have hit a huge financial struggle. I could still afford her needs and things to ensure she has a more than comfortable and happy life. However, visits to the vet became more and more difficult to keep up with.

My beardie might be suffering from a head aneurysm on both sides of her head. I’m not sure how it happened, as said before she has always been a healthy dragon. It has been getting worse and worse, with the swelling of her head becoming larger and bruises becoming black and blue on her head. Her eyes have also become swelled up and look sunken.

I cannot stand seeing her like this, she is still eating and moving normally, but she looks in a horrible condition. I cannot bring her to the vet, I cannot afford the fees because they will leave me completely broke, and I feel horribly guilty. I tried to look into payment plans, but there is not a single reptile vet in my area that offers anything of the sort. I’ve been doing some research and it says that surgery is an option for her condition, but only slows down the process of passing away.

What do I do? Like said before, I can’t stand seeing her like this. I feel like I cannot make her happy, and that she will pass away soon. I don’t know what the next step is. Is the right thing to do euthanasia? Surgery? How do I comfort her while she struggles?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, I am so sorry you & your dragon are going through this. Short of surgery, there isn't much you
can do if she has a head aneurism. You mentioned it just came on? Did she suffer from a fall perhaps?
Have you tried contacting any rescue facilities in your area to see if anyone can help?
You mentioned that she is still eating some, can she move around very well?
Try to keep her comfortable, as much as you can. Do you keep her warm overnight, too?

We are all here to help as much as we can. It is never easy when things like this happen to our precious
dragons.

Tracie

maryjazzie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mona
Hello,

Wow, I am so sorry you & your dragon are going through this. Short of surgery, there isn't much you
can do if she has a head aneurism. You mentioned it just came on? Did she suffer from a fall perhaps?
Have you tried contacting any rescue facilities in your area to see if anyone can help?
You mentioned that she is still eating some, can she move around very well?
Try to keep her comfortable, as much as you can. Do you keep her warm overnight, too?

We are all here to help as much as we can. It is never easy when things like this happen to our precious
dragons.

Tracie
Thank you for your reply!
She has been moving around and eating normally, though she’s become a little lethargic. I will look into any rescue facilities near by, thank you for the suggestion I haven’t thought of it! She does keep warm throughout the day but at night her basking bulb is off. Again, thank you for the reply and kind words.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You are welcome. You could also look into a Gofundme option, too if you wanted to look into
a surgery for her. There have been counts where surgery for an aneurism was successful also,
but it does vary from case to case.
Perhaps if you are able to find a rescue facility, they might have suggestions. Are you going to
try to keep her, if at all possible?
If she isn't suffering & is still eating, it might be better to keep her in familiar surroundings so she
is happier & more comfortable.
I forgot about another option, though hard to find. There are colleges that are hands on teaching
types of schools, that will do a surgery for greatly reduced costs.

Let us know how things are going.

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom