How to cut Plexiglass?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a sheet of plexi that im going to use for the front sliding doors to the enclosure.
Are there any tips to cutting it so I dont screw it up? What type of blade/saw etc?
thanks

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Lowes sells a plexi knife that scores and cuts. Its a pain in the ass no matter how you do it...lol
I let them cut it for me at lowes. Makes my life easy.

AchiKat

Juvie Member
you can cut the plexi with a utility knife or razor blade. set the sheet on something hard like a tile floor and use a ruler to draw the score line. score the sheet along the line till you have a decent sized score mark in the plexi. then line the score up on the edge of a counter top with the cut facing up, apply even pressure to both sdes. and it should snap on the score. then take some fine grit sand paper and smooth out the cut edge. i used to work at lowes, and this is how we cut the plexi when our machine was out of order.

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
I just use the table saw with a metal cutting blade on it. The fine teeth stops it from chipping

dylankw

During high school I did robotics and we had to cut a LOT of plexi. The best two things were a table saw for long straight cuts and a band saw for smaller special shapes. I know most people don't have those tools so I would suggest either: A. a circular saw with a metal blade (a wood blade will destroy your piece) B. find someone willing to cut it for you. Finding someone shouldn't be too difficult. Just be careful because its easy to screw up and man that stuff can get pricey!

triumphtt

Juvie Member
Like tom said they will cut it for you for free when you buy it there. I'm sure if you have the proof of purchase they will honor it. Also AchiKat has the best way if you don't have saws. Just make sure you have even pressure to snap it. if it doesn't snap even you can use pliers to snap any little parts that decided to be a pain.

johnnytrad

Original Poster
ok so i cut it last night. used a circular saw with a carbide blade. one edge is a little rough so im going to sand it but other than that it worked out pretty well.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom