Repurposed Furniture Enclosure

osbergtm

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Lizzy Lizardton
I hate to make such a long post, but I want to make sure I go about my project the right way. I am planning on converting an entertainment center for my beardie "Lizzy Lizardton." I've already removed the upper shelves and replaced the cardboard backing with plywood. I also sealed the seams/joints with silicone.

I'm planning to paint the interior surfaces with Drylok to ensure it's waterproof. Then I plan to use foam insulation board on the floor, both sides, and the back wall. I noticed another member used sanded grout to coat their foam insulation, so I figured I'd use it as well. I purchased 1/8" sliding tracks and plan on using 1/8" acrylic for the sliding doors. There will be two vents installed on the back wall for ventilation. For lighting, I have an Arcadia UVB light fixture with reflector that will span nearly all the way across the top of the enclosure. I also purchased the 150 watt basking bulb from PetSmart, and planned to install some logs/branches from a mulberry tree we cut down for him to bask on.

My questions are:
1. Would it be safe to use the entertainment center if I seal it with the Drylok and cover the interior with the foam insulation and sanded grout? (I'm pretty sure it composite board - the stuff that soaks up water like a sponge)
1a. How many coats of Drylok should I apply?
2. Would it be okay to add branches (no leaves) from the mulberry tree we recently cut down? If so, is there anything I need to do to prep the wood?
3. If I use the sanded grout to coat the foam insulation, do I need to seal it with anything? If so, what should I use?
Entertainment Center 1.jpg

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
1. Would it be safe to use the entertainment center if I seal it with the Drylok and cover the interior with the foam insulation and sanded grout? (I'm pretty sure it composite board - the stuff that soaks up water like a sponge)
Technically, any material will be safe to use as long as it's sealed. Paint itself is a sealant, so if you were to paint the interior you'd be effectively sealing it too.
1a. How many coats of Drylok should I apply?
Whatever sealant you decide to use, typically best to follow manufacturer instructions.
2. Would it be okay to add branches (no leaves) from the mulberry tree we recently cut down? If so, is there anything I need to do to prep the wood?
Typically better not to use freshly cut branches and logs due to the wood still having oils and sap and moisture in it. You can try baking the logs in the over for a few hours, but you will likely need to do it multiple times to completely dry them. Make sure you rest them on a pan to catch any sap drippings. Baking in the over will also kill any parasites or nasties that might be in the wood.
3. If I use the sanded grout to coat the foam insulation, do I need to seal it with anything? If so, what should I use?
You will need to seal the grout. And I would only recommend doing the foam/grout on either a fake wall backsplash, and/or on some fake rocks/caves for decor. Don't cover the whole enclosure in it. I've made that mistake before.. :)

-Brandon

osbergtm

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Lizzy Lizardton
Technically, any material will be safe to use as long as it's sealed. Paint itself is a sealant, so if you were to paint the interior you'd be effectively sealing it too.

Whatever sealant you decide to use, typically best to follow manufacturer instructions.

Typically better not to use freshly cut branches and logs due to the wood still having oils and sap and moisture in it. You can try baking the logs in the over for a few hours, but you will likely need to do it multiple times to completely dry them. Make sure you rest them on a pan to catch any sap drippings. Baking in the over will also kill any parasites or nasties that might be in the wood.

You will need to seal the grout. And I would only recommend doing the foam/grout on either a fake wall backsplash, and/or on some fake rocks/caves for decor. Don't cover the whole enclosure in it. I've made that mistake before.. :)

-Brandon
Thanks for replying 😁

When you say “don’t cover the whole enclosure in it. I've made that mistake before…” what happened? Like why was it a mistake? I was thinking of only covering the backsplash and two side walls and then making some “rocks/caves” with the foam. Would that be too much? Also, what did you use to seal the grout?

For the floor I was going to use tile since I can easily remove it for cleaning…that should be okay, right?

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom