How old do you think he is??

Status
Not open for further replies.

NintendoVixen79

Gray-bearded Member
He's so little and cute :)
It's really hard to tell the age of a beardie unless you know when they were born. B/C their growth depends totally on proper care....
A 3 month old beardie with proper care can be around 12" long, while a 3 month beardie being cared for the way most pet stores reccommend can be only 4-5".

littledragon

Juvie Member
It would help if you posted a measurement. He looks slightly younger than my new baby who is about a month and a half, so I /guessing/ somewhere around there?

Superman8411

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
yeah the sand is no good!!!it can cause impaction...they will eat it and can be deadly....everything that i have read says no sand

FabGyrl

Sub-Adult Member
Odd isnt that?! Sandy areas is exactly what they live in where they are not captive!! I find that very interesting! :wink:

Superman8411

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
yeah same here but the white sand from my understand when gets wet can clump up and if they eat it, it doesn't pass and can cause big problems for the little ones

FabGyrl

Sub-Adult Member
yeah I hear ya! I am putting in some non slip mats next time i clean up her tank. I thnik I will do a 50/50 having her food on the mats and the sand where she climbs around!!

NintendoVixen79

Gray-bearded Member
Calci-Sand is not a 'natural' sand. It is a man-made substance that clumps & hardens when it gets wet (i.e. in your beardie's tummy)
I have had calci-sand in the past for my hermit crabs... I took some and wet it and that was a few years ago and I still have the hardened chunk in the storage closet upstairs. Someone on here used Calci-Sand to fill a hole in concrete outside... and the hardened calci-sand survived a storm or hurricane or something (forgot the exact story but something like that)
That is definitely not something we want in our beloved pet's belly!

PlaySand- which is sterilized/cleaned/sifted beach sand- is natural sand and the only sand that is OK to use... though it still can cause impaction if they swallow too much of it (which is why it's more recommended for adult beardies since they lick their surroundings less.)

Also... whats in nature is not always best. Beardies don't live neary as long and healthy in the wild as they do in the right captive settings. That goes with most animals. When we keep animals in captivity as pets (or in zoos, etc.) we pamper them and exclude the dangers of nature in their lives :)

FabGyrl

Sub-Adult Member
Thats a nice story! Thanks for sharing! I have always felt terrible for all of these animals in captivity but you are correct! The sand I have is a silica based sand. I am not sure if thats the same thing or not?! Anyways will be getting rid of most of it! Thanks and sorry for hijacking the thread!

shadi11

BD.org Addict
the sand you are using is bad too.. i would recommend paper towel, newspaper, or shelf liner for babies..
play sand if you wish once 13 inches or larger.
superman8411--how old did the store say he was. its all based on care.. expecially from a pet store.. i have gotten a 3 week old bearded from a breeder that was almost 7 inches.. and he was one of his small ones. and i have gotten a 2 week old from a pet store and he was 3 inches..
now the one from the breeder is about 3 months and 14 inches long and over 100 grams. the one from the pet store is 7 months and over 400 grams. and 19 inches. but the store does not have any large dragons like that. so its all based on care

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom