Jayden is 12!!!

Nine years ago this month (I think possibly 9 years ago today??) I got Jayden from a bearded dragon rescue. His previous owners had him for 3 years, so that would make him a 12 year old beardie. His previous owners didn't care too much about him, and only referred to him as "the lizard." The people on this forum helped me name him. Anyway, since he's now 12, I figured it would be a good time for a photo shoot. If he makes it to 13, I'll do another one next year. :)

20230813_180839.jpg
20230813_181147.jpg
20230813_180748.jpg

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Happy birthday Jayden!!

For Jayden's slave, I always like asking what your general husbandry practices have been for the majority of your dragons life. What does his daily diet look like along with his lighting setup?

I have an idea, but I always like to ask dragon owners who own a dragon over 10 years old for what their care looks like that afforded them such a long life :)

-Brandon

PastelBeardie2

Original Poster
Happy birthday Jayden!!

For Jayden's slave, I always like asking what your general husbandry practices have been for the majority of your dragons life. What does his daily diet look like along with his lighting setup?

I have an idea, but I always like to ask dragon owners who own a dragon over 10 years old for what their care looks like that afforded them such a long life :)

-Brandon

Jayden may have survived this long in spite of me, LOL, because I haven't been doing anything extraordinary.

He has a 55 gallon viv with a cork round for a basking spot. It lets him bask under the light bulb when he wants to. He has a 24 inch Reptisun 10.0 UVB bulb that goes across the top of his viv, and a large plastic hut with a beardie sized flannel blanket inside to lie on. I don't use one of those heater things, just a light bulb for supplemental heat, because I live in a warm climate (Arizona desert) and it just never gets that cold in the house. The substrate is paper towels, and I use a baby bathtub to give him his baths.

He gets fed salads usually every other day, simply because when I offer him a salad, it usually remains uneaten and in good shape for that long. If he eats the salad or it drys out, I replace it sooner. He rarely eats them anyway, unless he happens to accidentally grab some along with a bug. He gets super worms and crickets, and occasionally dubia. His salads usually get sprinkled with Herptivite, or sometimes calcium instead, but since the insects get calcium on them before I feed them to him, it's usually Herptivite.

I don't know much about how he was taken care of for the first three years of his life. The beardie rescue told me that some boys had been begging for a pet snake, but the mother would not have a snake in the house, so they bought a bearded dragon for them instead. They were not happy and never wanted him. They didn't even bother to name him, just called him "the lizard." After several years the boys still didn't want him, so they turned him in to the rescue and bought a snake.

I was active on this forum in 2014 when I adopted Jayden. I learned how to take care of my last beardie on this forum, and two members who were active here at the time, Sue and Esther, helped me find a medieval-sounding name for "the lizard." Now Jayden has one of those bicycle plates that says "Jayden" on his viv. I was kind of hoping they would see this post, but like most of the people who were here then, they seem to have moved on.

Jayden isn't much of a cricket chaser anymore, but he loves to eat them and takes them from my fingers. Guess the old guy just wants to be spoiled. He's always been a calm beardie. My last beardie was active and would find ways to get out of his viv. Jayden is just a mellow fellow, and has been the entire time he's been with me.

You'll probably find something I'm doing wrong here, but this is how it's been for the past nine years.

Edited to add: I went by the name PastelBeardie or Pastel Beardie then, and the name referred to the color of my first beardie, but for some reason the system wouldn't let me sign in. After a long fight, I came back as PastelBeardie2.

Last edited:

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
because I haven't been doing anything extraordinary.
And this was the answer I was looking for and expecting :)

You'll probably find something I'm doing wrong here, but this is how it's been for the past nine years.
Nope. Guidelines for care should be based off of what keeps dragons healthy and alive the longest. That's how it's always been. If your care goes against the "norm" the norm is eventually going to be proven wrong again.

I don't want to turn this celebration thread into a debate on proper care, but for you, and for everyone reading this, the following lesson can be learned: The owners who raise dragons to such an age are obviously doing something right.

:)

-Brandon

PastelBeardie2

Original Poster
And this was the answer I was looking for and expecting :)

Nope. Guidelines for care should be based off of what keeps dragons healthy and alive the longest. That's how it's always been. If your care goes against the "norm" the norm is eventually going to be proven wrong again.

I don't want to turn this celebration thread into a debate on proper care, but for you, and for everyone reading this, the following lesson can be learned: The owners who raise dragons to such an age are obviously doing something right.

:)

-Brandon

Thanks, I appreciate that. Thought I was gonna get in trouble for something.... :D

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom