How much UVB is too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

outsdr2

Gray-bearded Member
Hello it is time to change up bulbs. Bob at reptilesUV is out of everything but the 275 watt variety. Is it too much for a 2x4x2 wooden and glass setup? any help welcome!

RedHandFilms

Sub-Adult Member
I believe with MVB the wattage really just affects the heat they put out. It's really hard to have too much UVB. No bulb is going to surpass what the sun puts out.

LQDragons

Juvie Member
I recently put an EB 60 Mega Ray in a 4x2x2 enclosure & I'm using 100 basking flood to get the temps correct. I have 2 other 4x2x2's with
SB 100's in them, the basking temps are good(no other lamps for heat), but they heat the whole enclosure. I have removed one sliding glass panel & replaced it with a sliding screen door, just to have proper temp gradiant. Check out the EB series lamps, my little female is growing like a weed, basking under a EB 60 MVB everyday.

to answer your question, IMHO yes a 275 watt MVB is to MUCH for a 4x2x2 wood & glass enclosure

something else to remember, MVB's have a minimum distance , depending on the particular wattage & bulb. The one's in my enclosures are @ 13"-14" above the basking area

slantedii

Hatchling Member
The amount of UVB radiation received on the equator on a clear day at noon is around 270 mW/cm2. Many commercial reptile lights today exceed this 270 mW/cm2 in an attempt to show the greatest UVB radiation. Some even exceed over 2000 mW/cm2, which is absolutely dangerous! Especially if you know that the 270 value of the sun is only measured at high noon on a clear day while most light bulbs are on between 10 and 12 hours with constant values.
-http://www.herpsupplies.com/video.cfm?videoid=1

I think it is possible to over radiate ur lizard. The problem would be truly measuring your output. When uvb meters are sooo expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom