Is a uvb rod and mvb too much uvb?

Otisthebeardeddragon

Original Poster
Hello,
This is the first time I’ve ever owned a reptile before. We got a tank off of Craigslist, and it came with a ceramic heat bulb as well as a Mixjoy uvb and uva heat lamp. I assumed that the Mixjoy bulb was mostly for heat, so we also purchased a reptisun t8. I’m now just worried that this is too much uvb for the little guy. He seems to love basking in the light, but I’m not sure if they know if they are getting too much uvb or not. He a whole side without the light fixtures, but usually remains on the light side. Let me know how to best proceed please, and if bearded dragons show any signs of too much uvb or if overexposure is invisible until damage.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello,
This is the first time I’ve ever owned a reptile before. We got a tank off of Craigslist, and it came with a ceramic heat bulb as well as a Mixjoy uvb and uva heat lamp. I assumed that the Mixjoy bulb was mostly for heat, so we also purchased a reptisun t8. I’m now just worried that this is too much uvb for the little guy. He seems to love basking in the light, but I’m not sure if they know if they are getting too much uvb or not. He a whole side without the light fixtures, but usually remains on the light side. Let me know how to best proceed please, and if bearded dragons show any signs of too much uvb or if overexposure is invisible until damage.
If the uvb is a coil please get rid of it- what size is the tank? T 8 s are good for tanks smaller than 40 gallons anything 40 and over need a T 5 - you want a good long tube fixture uvb and a good solid clear bright white basking bulb - che's are good for winter at night to keep ambient temps around 65-75

Otisthebeardeddragon

Original Poster
If the uvb is a coil please get rid of it- what size is the tank? T 8 s are good for tanks smaller than 40 gallons anything 40 and over need a T 5 - you want a good long tube fixture uvb and a good solid clear bright white basking bulb - che's are good for winter at night to keep ambient temps around 65-75
I’ll attach a photo, so would a t8 not be sufficient even with a heat lamp that gives off uvb as well? I was concerned that the two together is too much uvb.(we’re adding a lot of stuff and tile this week, we just got him 2 days ago.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 51

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Also, I keep both the ceramic and heat bulb on throughout the day and it stays around 105 which I thought was good?
Older dragons like surface basking temps 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- next the T 8 is not strong enough to go thru fine mesh screen - they need to be unobstructed directly above the basking decor 6-8 inches- please get the tank off the floor+ it is too cold and drafty- your basking bulb should be able to keep surface basking temps to what they need to be - it's going to be hard keeping those temps w/ the tank on the floor-

Otisthebeardeddragon

Original Poster
Older dragons like surface basking temps 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- next the T 8 is not strong enough to go thru fine mesh screen - they need to be unobstructed directly above the basking decor 6-8 inches- please get the tank off the floor+ it is too cold and drafty- your basking bulb should be able to keep surface basking temps to what they need to be - it's going to be hard keeping those temps w/ the tank on the floor-
Okay thank you for all of this, we are moving a table in this week to put the tank on top of. In either the case that I install the t8 in the tank or get a t5 for the top, my question about the heat bulb I have still stands. It also emits uvb and uva, is that going to be too much? Should I get a different basking bulb that doesnt emit uva/uvb?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Okay thank you for all of this, we are moving a table in this week to put the tank on top of. In either the case that I install the t8 in the tank or get a t5 for the top, my question about the heat bulb I have still stands. It also emits uvb and uva, is that going to be too much? Should I get a different basking bulb that doesnt emit uva/uvb?
Yes the good mvb's are power sun or mega ray and they are spendy - good for heat but uvb is iffy- they need to be unobstructed and replaced every 6 months- and you still need the long tube fixture for uvb so your sure he's getting adequate uvb- it's best to have them separate - to the long tube T 5 is going to need to be unobstructed as well because of the screen but the distance is going to be 12 - 15 inches- replacement for this bulb is 10-11 months

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Your uvb looks like a zilla brand. Those have a plastic cover over the bulb, it's the stupidest thing they can do. It blocks 100% of the uvb. Please remove the plastic cover, it's held on by 4 small Phillips screws. Also the t8 isn't strong enough to go above the screen, it needs to he mounted underneath 😉 😀
If I'm wrong about the brand disregard lol 😆 the t8 does need to be under the screen though.

Otisthebeardeddragon

Original Poster
Your uvb looks like a zilla brand. Those have a plastic cover over the bulb, it's the stupidest thing they can do. It blocks 100% of the uvb. Please remove the plastic cover, it's held on by 4 small Phillips screws. Also the t8 isn't strong enough to go above the screen, it needs to he mounted underneath 😉 😀
If I'm wrong about the brand disregard lol 😆 the t8 does need to be under the screen though.
Thank you! It is a zoo-med I believe but I think I’m just going to get a t5 to put on top. I’m still a bit confused on whether I need a new heat bulb as well since it also gives off uvb, is that too much uvb with a t5? Do they know/show signs when there is too much/too little uvb?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
As long as he has a hide to get in or a place to move out of the uvb he'll be ok. They are good at knowing what they need.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you! It is a zoo-med I believe but I think I’m just going to get a t5 to put on top. I’m still a bit confused on whether I need a new heat bulb as well since it also gives off uvb, is that too much uvb with a t5? Do they know/show signs when there is too much/too little uvb?
Your basking bulb does not need UVB-- the T 5 is sufficient enough for UVB- your basking bulb is going to give off UVA which he needs ceramic heat emitters do not give off UVA only heat -- as I posted earlier w/ the fine mesh screen the T 5 will need to be unobstructed as well - either take the screen off cut a hole in it for the UVB or mount it under the screen - I can post things to hang under the screen

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, most of the MVB lights are nice & bright & provide adequate warmth for basking.
If you have the MVB placed correctly, using a tube bulb at the right distance in combination
with it really balances out the brightness. As long as the distances are correct & there is a
varying level of UVB strength in the tank he shouldn't get too much UVB.
I have used a MVB + T5 tube combination for years, without any problems.
As far as signs of too much UVB, just essentially avoiding the UVB areas or hiding are often
signs of too much UVB output or a bad bulb emitting UVC, etc.

Tracie

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom