How many dubias to feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny123

Hatchling Member
I feed about five medium sized roaches to my older dragon + greens he eaten. Hasn't poop for two days and is bloated kinda is that normal for a 6 month old?

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
I'm guessing that Darwin is around 7 months(ish) and around 17.5 inches, and he's started pooping every other day or every 2 days. Keep up a bathing schedule to keep him hydrated, but most of what I've read is that it's normal for beardies, as they get older, to stop being as regular as they were when babies (Darwin had daily poops an hour after lights on before). Are you feeding 5 dubias per day or per feeding? Darwin is still eating about 12 medium dubias a day along with a small plate of turnip greens.

johnny123

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
randommonks":2glq51dp said:
I'm guessing that Darwin is around 7 months(ish) and around 17.5 inches, and he's started pooping every other day or every 2 days. Keep up a bathing schedule to keep him hydrated, but most of what I've read is that it's normal for beardies, as they get older, to stop being as regular as they were when babies (Darwin had daily poops an hour after lights on before). Are you feeding 5 dubias per day or per feeding? Darwin is still eating about 12 medium dubias a day along with a small plate of turnip greens.

My dragon is six months and about 9 inches long and poops every other day with very smelly poop and watery. He pooped in my hand last week. I bath both my dragons daily in the morning about a hour or two when lights come on. 5 per day because I used to do twice a day feedings but haven't bothered with two because the second feeding they just glass dance and won't eat. That's alot for your buddy Darwin but at 17 inches sounds about right. I wanted to try lobster roaches because they alittle cheaper but with how they act with climbing n stuff just don't want a roach colony everywhere in my house. They would have a good food source with dog bone pieces and pieces of dog food yep my two dogs are very messy.

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
Have you taken your dragon in for a fecal? The watery poop could be from the baths, or it could be from parasites, which can mess with your dragon's pooping schedule. Yeah I like dubia because I can just put them into a bowl (I normally do 7 in the morning, and 5 at night) and he'll eat 5 at a time, 2 as a snack during the day. Are the dubia you're feeding a good size (space between eyes)? If they're too big, it might cause some constipation. I think at 9 inches, I was still feeding small dubia (not quite sure...)

johnny123

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
randommonks":9cf5kob9 said:
Have you taken your dragon in for a fecal? The watery poop could be from the baths, or it could be from parasites, which can mess with your dragon's pooping schedule. Yeah I like dubia because I can just put them into a bowl (I normally do 7 in the morning, and 5 at night) and he'll eat 5 at a time, 2 as a snack during the day. Are the dubia you're feeding a good size (space between eyes)? If they're too big, it might cause some constipation. I think at 9 inches, I was still feeding small dubia (not quite sure...)

Yes my 6 and a half month dragon has coccidia high count and trying to fix it with albon but no improvement yet but heard it takes along time for reptiles to get better and also pinworms. I haven't seen any worms in the poop yet. I give baths daily and they eat alot of greens that I mist so hopeing that is the cause but with being on albon have to get alot of fluids. That's the only thing not pooping normally. I got mixed dubias some that I feed are alittle bigger then the space between his eyes. I wanted to go with lobster roaches but heard there a pain with climbing glass and infest your home very easy. The reason I went with roaches is because crickets are a pain and lobsters seem very similar to crickets. They don't seem to like reptiworms or small superworms but like the dubias an crickets. But they eat greens and not the worms a little odd but I do what makes them happy.

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
Ahh well it's good that you're getting that treated. I've read that cleaning the tank obsessively will help to get rid of the parasites faster. The meds will probably explain the pooping irregularity, and hopefully when your dragon comes off of them, he'll feel better and get back to normal. Are you giving him a bacterial supplement like soy yogurt or anything like that to restore the gut fauna?

johnny123

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
randommonks":3edvoqjc said:
Ahh well it's good that you're getting that treated. I've read that cleaning the tank obsessively will help to get rid of the parasites faster. The meds will probably explain the pooping irregularity, and hopefully when your dragon comes off of them, he'll feel better and get back to normal. Are you giving him a bacterial supplement like soy yogurt or anything like that to restore the gut fauna?

I don't know if acidophiliz is for gut fauna but I use that and give plenty of fluids while on the Albon. So far it's been the eight day on the meds and poop still smells up the whole tank bad. I keep everything neat and rinse everything off weekly but the repti carpet has to adsorb the fluids from the stools and stays a bit smelly.

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
I think the reptile carpet may be the problem. I think people normally recommend that you switch to newspaper or paper towels when treating parasites, since you can replace those daily or sooner, and it will help to prevent parasites in the reptile carpet from reentering the beardie. Maybe try cleaning out daily, and changing substrate. I think what you're giving is the right type of bacteria to keep digestion up.

johnny123

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
randommonks":p7g5shiq said:
I think the reptile carpet may be the problem. I think people normally recommend that you switch to newspaper or paper towels when treating parasites, since you can replace those daily or sooner, and it will help to prevent parasites in the reptile carpet from reentering the beardie. Maybe try cleaning out daily, and changing substrate. I think what you're giving is the right type of bacteria to keep digestion up.

I forgot about using paper towel thanks and I never used newspaper with any of my reptiles just don't want black reptiles legs mostly and even dragons with all the spikes lol. Acidophiliz yea helps digestion and a mod drache recommended it while on the meds. They eat alittle today mainly greens and dubias but not much. Don't under a year old dragons eat like 100 reptiworms in one day. My dragon is turning 7 months the middle of this month how much would a healthy normal dragon eat in a day. My baby dragon only eats like 12 crickets in one day.

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
It seems to be the norm for dragons undergoing parasite treatment to cut back severely on feeding. Once they're cured of parasites, they may even need to be force fed. If you notice your dragon losing an unhealthy amount of weight from not eating, you might want to post a new thread on the health or even ER if you feel it's bad. There are a few other threads floating around those sections and the infectious diseases section where other people share experiences and frustrations.

Baby dragons are notorious for cleaning out wallets, I know Darwin was a huge pig. He'd go through 20-30 crickets in a feeding. If you're offering your baby as much as it wants for 10-15 minutes per feeding 2-3 times a day, and it seems to be shedding regularly, it may just be that your dragon eats less. If he's new, it might still be relocation stress. Check your temps again, make sure they're 105ish basking, 80ish cool side and adjust accordingly. If he's an active baby, I think he'll come around.

johnny123

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
randommonks":3jc5k9wv said:
It seems to be the norm for dragons undergoing parasite treatment to cut back severely on feeding. Once they're cured of parasites, they may even need to be force fed. If you notice your dragon losing an unhealthy amount of weight from not eating, you might want to post a new thread on the health or even ER if you feel it's bad. There are a few other threads floating around those sections and the infectious diseases section where other people share experiences and frustrations.

Baby dragons are notorious for cleaning out wallets, I know Darwin was a huge pig. He'd go through 20-30 crickets in a feeding. If you're offering your baby as much as it wants for 10-15 minutes per feeding 2-3 times a day, and it seems to be shedding regularly, it may just be that your dragon eats less. If he's new, it might still be relocation stress. Check your temps again, make sure they're 105ish basking, 80ish cool side and adjust accordingly. If he's an active baby, I think he'll come around.
I have already noticed my baby dragons stomach wrinkly and notices bones sticking out where the tail starts. He shed a full body two weeks ago but not even noticing a dull in color yet. But he only shed once since august. I had my baby dragon since august and still has the stress marks on belly very noticeable. My probes are looking very well with that temp ratio but high 60's at night now with the colder temps movin in Chicago is weird this weekend 80's. He is active climbing everywhere and a little bully crawlin on my older bigger dragon while bathing. I keep hopeing the best for them.

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
You're not housing the two of them together are you? If you're noticing hip bones sticking out, then that's normally not a good sign :?

Are you able to take him to the vet to have him checked out? What size crickets and how are you feeding them to him (dusted, in a separate enclosure, etc.)?

johnny123

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
randommonks":30zq3htx said:
You're not housing the two of them together are you? If you're noticing hip bones sticking out, then that's normally not a good sign :?

Are you able to take him to the vet to have him checked out? What size crickets and how are you feeding them to him (dusted, in a separate enclosure, etc.)?

Oh no I couldn't house them together even if I wanted to my juvie would think the baby is food. Yep I know of a vet in my area but is very pricey. The crickets are little smaller then the between the eyes and dust with repcal and weekends just vitamins repti plus I think it is the same brand name as repcal. I tried a 10 gallon but the baby just sits in there and crickets crawl on em. So I mainly use a cup with dusted crickets and dump them on the dish I use for greens and eats about a dozen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom