How many crickets do i feed my beardie?

wondering on here how many i should be feeding him, hes about 4.5 months old and i was told when buying him that he needs to be fed once a day so ive been doing that and giving him about 7/8 crickets once a day? is that okay or should i feed him more? also ive been leaving salad in the vivarium for him to eat

- Alex

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
wondering on here how many i should be feeding him, hes about 4.5 months old and i was told when buying him that he needs to be fed once a day so ive been doing that and giving him about 7/8 crickets once a day? is that okay or should i feed him more? also ive been leaving salad in the vivarium for him to eat

- Alex
Usually 20-30 crickets at that age, depending on the dragon 7 crickets is no where near enough imo.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4

- Alex
Feed as many crickets he will eat in a 10-15 min time span- he should be offered salads as well in the morning- I would get some bsfl and use as salad lure- 20 of them dropped on his salad in front of him - they are a great staple as well - www.symtonbsf.com order large - are you dusting the crickets- your pet store is giving you bad advice and starving your dragon- please go over your surface basking temps and how your getting them also your uvb coil or long tube fixture this is crucial

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, it really depends on his weight + size and the size of the insects. At 4.5 months old they can be anywhere from 11" or so [ the small side ] to 15 " or more and weighing 250 + grams. Those are general averages, we've all seen ones smaller or larger. So please post pics of your dragon to show his size on your hand or on a table next to your hand and also pics of the insects to show the size. A 12-13" dragon could get full on 7 large crickets along with greens every day. A larger, still growing dragon would eat a few more large crickets than that per day.

Alwills2708

Original Poster
Feed as many crickets he will eat in a 10-15 min time span- he should be offered salads as well in the morning- I would get some bsfl and use as salad lure- 20 of them dropped on his salad in front of him - they are a great staple as well - www.symtonbsf.com order large - are you dusting the crickets- your pet store is giving you bad advice and starving your dragon- please go over your surface basking temps and how your getting them also your uvb coil or long tube fixture this is crucial
hi, yes i am dusting them with calcium powder at meal time, should i put him in a seperate box with about 25 crickets or should i empty them into the vivarium?

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel my female two year old beardie
hi, yes i am dusting them with calcium powder at meal time, should i put him in a seperate box with about 25 crickets or should i empty them into the vivarium?
I normally just put them in the tank. I don't put mine in a separate place. If I fed mine Silkworms, hornworms, or Dubias I would put them in a bowl.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You want him to have a good meal but not a huge number of them at once unless they are very small crickets. Then you would save money by going up to the next size and feeding him less quantity but bigger size.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom