Hornworm Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyuksMama

Hatchling Member
So I want to give my beardy a horned worm but im actually terrified that he is going to choke on it. If I give the size of my dragon and and size of the worm could someone give me an idea of whether its a safe sized worm?.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you post a picture of the two in the same pic we could let you know. They can scarf down pretty large hornworms compared to their size since they are so soft bodied, but you of course don't want it to be too big.

-Brandon

RyuksMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you, when I get the chance Ill get a pic. They only had one size, so if the one i got is too big, could i cut it? Or will that affect his interest?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They are basically sacs of fluid, so you wouldn't want to really cut them. It's sometimes hard getting hornworms for younger dragons. If you order them online, they are much cheaper and you can usually specify the size you want. I always ask for small ones since they grow so quickly. Allows me to pick them off as they come to size.

-Brandon

RyuksMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
101770-6889119609.jpg
claudiusx":1aubnzwx said:
They are basically sacs of fluid, so you wouldn't want to really cut them. It's sometimes hard getting hornworms for younger dragons. If you order them online, they are much cheaper and you can usually specify the size you want. I always ask for small ones since they grow so quickly. Allows me to pick them off as they come to size.

-Brandon

RyuksMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":346rn1ou said:

-Brandon
Kind of weird angle

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Your dragon should handle that no problem. It is big, but your dragon looks almost full grown if not already full grown. And a full grown dragon can take down a full grown hornworm.

-Brandon

RyuksMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":18kxueje said:
Your dragon should handle that no problem. It is big, but your dragon looks almost full grown if not already full grown. And a full grown dragon can take down a full grown hornworm.

-Brandon

He loved it! And he did fine with it. Thank you!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Maybe if they are too big , which I doubt for an adult dragon , I'd let them pupate and feed the pupa to the dragon , or give the moths to the dragon, or let the moths lay eggs and then raise the hornworms on chow from when they start hatching.

Or you could blanch and then rapidly chill and then freeze them and they be easier to cut into bite size worm pieces when thawed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom