The dragon doesn't want to get warm

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
So it was time to take him out yesterday and he drank a lot and did not go back in his hide yet. I toot the opportunity to sit by him a little more to watch him and answer your question.
His eyes are mostly open during the day. Like 60-70% of the time. It's like he's awake but blinking often and for a minute straight.
At around 2pm he closes them and only opens them occasionally.
Thank you for taking the time to respond!
It seems that Luis and Foxy behave very similar.
Thanks again, this is my first brumation (Foxy, I mean :ROFLMAO: ) and I'm a little nervous.
PS:
I ordered a small kit for a Home Assistant: Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 8Gb (with case and power unit), SONOFF Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle Plus-E, microSDXC Samsung EVO Plus 256Gb
I plan to use the Raspberry Pi OS and run docker with an Home Assistant, I have an unnecessary zigbee temperature sensor, I will train on it, as soon as everything works out, I will study the available switches and dimmers compatible with Sonoff dongle & HA

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
You can run docker natively on a Raspberry Pi???! 🤯
That's a neat and scalable solution. Using Docker you could probably run ha and an open-vpn server on a single Raspberry. Maybe I need to think about my old school VM setup....

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
You can run docker natively on a Raspberry Pi???! 🤯
Exactly!
I myself was very surprised, but this box (the size of a credit card) runs on full-fledged Linux, has a good processor and enough RAM, so the Home Assistant can be launched as a HA OS for Raspberry Pi or as a docker under Raspberry OS (HA installation).
I plan to use Raspberry for something else, maybe connect a monitor to show natural landscapes, I haven't decided yet, but there will be much more possibilities if I save native Raspberry OS

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
There is snow outside and the temperature outside has dropped to zero.
But Foxy decided it was time to wander around the terrarium. For several days now he has not gone to his hide and every morning he comes to bask in a warm zone (90-94F), once he decided that it would be nice to warm up more and climbed into his tree where the temperature is 100F.
He still abstains from greens and doesn't eat ane bugs or hornworms. Apparently, brumation is still going on, but I hope that it is gradually ending.
31.jpg
30.jpg

PS: Now Foxy weighs 498g, maybe it's because he didn't drink before the weigh-in, or maybe he just lost those 2g over the past month and a half.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Foxy looks great ! Losing 2 grams is not even real weight, lol. If they even lose 10-15 grams after a long brumation and they are a large dragon it's normal.

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Foxy looks great ! Losing 2 grams is not even real weight, lol. If they even lose 10-15 grams after a long brumation and they are a large dragon it's normal.
As soon as I wrote a message in this thread, Foxy went to his hide and is sleeping now :LOL:

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
He's really looking great!
Oh man, but at least he was out for some time and will come out again soon, I'm certain. :)

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
He's really looking great!
Oh man, but at least he was out for some time and will come out again soon, I'm certain.
I don’t mind him brumation, let it last as long as necessary for his health. In addition, I was able to interact with him a little while he was awake and he seemed happy to sit on my shoulder, since when it was time to sleep, he was not very keen to go to his terrarium.
Once again I wanted to thank you for the idea with a Home Assistant. It so happens that I had never heard of it before, despite its enormous advantages.
Now I’m studying the capabilities of the HA, I already have a temperature sensor, a light sensor and one smart socket. And I'm waiting for delivery a few more sockets and dimmers.
While Foxy is sleeping, I plan to improve the light control based on the light level outside the window. There are idea to control time to switch on UVB, LED and the strength of the heating lamp based on the level of outside light, but at the same time so that the temperature of the heating place remains within the range of 95-105F. For example: in the morning the temperature is 95, and by lunch it becomes 105, and by the evening it gradually drops to 95.
I don't know if this is a good idea or not, but I'll try it and see what happens.

Last edited:

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
I don’t mind him brumation, let it last as long as necessary for his health. In addition, I was able to interact with him a little while he was awake and he seemed happy to sit on my shoulder, since when it was time to sleep, he was not very keen to go to his terrarium.
Once again I wanted to thank you for the idea with a Home Assistant. It so happens that I had never heard of it before, despite its enormous advantages.
Now I’m studying the capabilities of the HA, I already have a temperature sensor, a light sensor and one smart socket. And I'm waiting for delivery a few more sockets and dimmers.
While Foxy is sleeping, I plan to improve the light control based on the light level outside the window. There are idea to control time to switch on UVB, LED and the strength of the heating lamp based on the level of outside light, but at the same time so that the temperature of the heating place remains within the range of 95-105F. For example: in the morning the temperature is 95, and by lunch it becomes 105, and by the evening it gradually drops to 95.
I don't know if this is a good idea or not, but I'll try it and see what happens.
It's so nice to read through your updates of Foxy, because I see just how similar our two dragons are :)

There is so much to play with and optimise/automate with HA. Luis also has four different lights that get turned on gradually in the morning and adjust during the day with a burst mode at lunch time.
:)

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Yesterday Foxy came out of his hide and I gave him some water. After that, he cheered up and decided to take a sunbath, he went to bask and was so active that I offered him one dubia. He ate it with pleasure, champing him so hard that it could be heard in the next room. He refused the second, but I hope that this is a sign of the completion of brumation.

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
I never thought I'd be so glad that Foxy went to the toilet.
But, HURRAY! This happened after two and a half months of brumation.
Yesterday I gave him three small dubias, drizzled olive oil on them and it worked. I won't post a photo, but the poop looked really good, white urates and about 5 inches in total length.
After that I weighed Foxy and his weight was 480 grams. Those, after using the toilet his weight decreased by 15 grams.
I think that he will quickly make up for this shortcoming.
Now he is exploring the room with the Christmas tree, he can spend hours watching the lights while under his mvb lamp.
Foxy wishes everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
And some photos of Foxy.

Attachments

• 34.jpg
    34.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 37.jpg
    37.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 40.jpg
    40.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 28

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
I decided to update this topic a little and I want to write about how things are going now. At the end of December, Foxy began to experience spring fever. Every day he persistently asked to be let out of the terrarium and allowed to wander in the living room. I had to set up a room for him to walk around in order to exclude all dangerous places. Foxy won't part with his Christmas present (a pyramid-shaped house), he loves it very much. Usually the morning starts like this - Foxy wakes up and warms himself in his terrarium, after 3 hours he starts to worry, runs along the glass and bobs his head. He demands to be let out for a walk. I let him out into the living room and he runs to his house, quickly climbs on it and bobs his head - this is what he wanted, so he calms down and sits on his mountain absolutely calmly. The peak of spring fever occurred in the month of February, at which time Foxy was pulling his friend - the pink dragon by the wings, now he is not interested in him, but still runs and bobs his head when he walks around his territory in the living room. The fever is starting to subside, but this does not in any way affect the fact that every day he demands to be let out for a walk. There was a lot of text, I apologize. And some photos of Foxy.

Attachments

• IMG_20240413_114422.jpg
    IMG_20240413_114422.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20240401_103436.jpg
    IMG_20240401_103436.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20240413_131126.jpg
    IMG_20240413_131126.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 13

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom