Het. Hypo 66 percent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashleydmj

Hatchling Member
What does 66 percent mean ? I have seen 50 and 100. But where does 66 come from? what would the parents have to be to make up a 66% pos. het?

BEARDIESandCOFFEE

Hatchling Member
It probably just means that one of the parents is 100% HYPO and the other is only like 25-50% ( as in that ones parents were 50% 50% )

Just a little higher chance of getting close to it than 50%.... that's probably it.

bumblebee

Juvie Member
From what I understand, it means that both of the parents are het hypo (so they carry the gene but are not hypo themselves), and the baby is not hypo, so the baby has a 66% chance of carrying the gene. A beardie is hypo if he/she has reduced dark pigmentation and has completely clear nails. The only way to see if a non-hypo baby from the a het hypo x het hypo pairing actually carries the hypo gene (and therefore is het hypo), would be to breed him or her with another beardie that is either hypo or carries the hypo gene, and see if you get any hypo babies. If you remember Punnett squares from biology, if you cross two het hypos, approximately 25% of the clutch will be visually hypo, 50% will be het hypo (normal looking, but carries the gene), and the other 25% will be normal looking and not carry the gene. So if the baby is not visually hypo, there is a 66% chance (50/75) that the baby carries the hypo gene. If you look at this link, it shows the Punnett squares for hypomelanistic under Hypo: http://www.mbdragons.eu/en/genetica.html

100% het hypo would mean that one parent was visually hypo and the baby is not hypo, so the baby definitely carries the gene. 50% het hypo means that the baby has a 50% chance of being het hypo (so one parent is het hypo and the other does not carry the hypo gene). Again, the Punnett squares on the website I mentioned might help.

Hope that makes sense! :)

EpitaphREI

66% hets are what you get when you breed two dragons that are both heterozygous for a trait. For example:

-------------------

Het Hypo x Het Hypo = 25% Hypos, 50% Het Hypo, 25% Non carriers

This means that any dragons that is not VISIBLY hypomelanistic from this cross is 66% possible het hypo.

-------------------

So, for example, breeding two bearded dragons that are heterozygous for hypomelanism OR translucency will result in the following:

-------------------

Het Hypo x Het Hypo = 25% Hypos, 50% Het Hypo, 25% Non carriers = 25% visible hypos, where all others are 66% poss het hypo.

Het Trans x Het Trans = 25% Trans, 50% Het Trans, 25% Non carriers = 25% visible Trans, where all others are 66% poss het Trans.

-------------------

In short, 100% het x 100% het = 25% visible with the rest being 66% het.

Ashleydmj

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you all for the informative responses!
Genes are fascinating!
I just found it random that 66% was the term, 66 seems very random.
Thanks again :)

icelore

Juvie Member
bumblebee":2ifrvio2 said:
A beardie is hypo if he/she has reduced dark pigmentation and has completely clear nails.

I don't know anything about dragon genetics, but I've been meaning to ask this - are the nails completely clear, or are they clear with the black barb thing running through them? Like the nail quick or vein or whatever.

Yeah I wanna ask that too. I believe they still have that brownish black barb, because I have a Hypo with that barb thing going through the nail, but the rest is just clear.

Brieana

Hatchling Member
jeffman8800":1auwca83 said:
Yeah I wanna ask that too. I believe they still have that brownish black barb, because I have a Hypo with that barb thing going through the nail, but the rest is just clear.

Sorry, jeffman, a true hypo has completely clear nails, yours is just a normal.

Are you sure? He has really light scales hers a pic: He is really dark today though for some reason.

2w4xv8z.jpg

Ashleydmj

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well we're you told your Beardie was Hypo?
Beardies can be Het. For Hypo. And not visually be Hypo.
The way to figure out if your Beardie is Hypo. Is to breed him to different Females and rule him out. The genes he carries will be displayed in his offspring.

EpitaphREI

I agree, the above dragon is not a visible hypo. I have a hypotranslucent female, and her nails are completely clear. Any pigmentation is a warning that the dragon is likely not a hypo. I'll try to get a picture for you guys in a few.

Here you go:

E2mjnBE.jpg

e49dam7.jpg

Also, the whole dragon:

Ksudrbk.png

TWGNUOa.jpg

bumblebee

Juvie Member
EpitaphREI":28gs8fgp said:
I agree, the above dragon is not a visible hypo. I have a hypotranslucent female, and her nails are completely clear. Any pigmentation is a warning that the dragon is likely not a hypo. I'll try to get a picture for you guys in a few.

Here you go:

E2mjnBE.jpg

e49dam7.jpg

Also, the whole dragon:

Ksudrbk.png

TWGNUOa.jpg
Beautiful dragon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom