Helpful Hints, share them here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thor's Mom

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Gotcha.

Well, I do have to say that if my dishwasher does not even get hot enough to properly wash and sanitize my tiles, then I’m really not sure what the heck I’m doing eating off of the dishes that I wash in it. I have been doing this dishwasher thing for almost a year, I have never once had a problem with either myself or my dragons getting sick. I do believe that it gets at least 145 degrees in my dishwasher, both tiles and dishes come out too hot to touch after a cycle and I have to give them a little bit to cool down.

Thanks for the heads up, I will have to do some research to see how I can find out what temp. the wash cycle is going on. I do know that my hot water heater is turned up all the way.

peera

Sub-Adult Member
Well, if you have a large water heater turned all the way up, it's probably getting warm enough (it's really impossible to tell without measuring though.) But I did want to point out that I've burnt my feet on hot asphalt on warm, sunny days, but have serious doubts the ground was 145*. We have so many nerve endings in our fingers it's pretty easy to burn them, and plates and tile are essentialy stone and retain heat really well. If you haven't gotten sick yet, you probably won't, but it wouldn't hurt to buy a commercial grade sanitizer and dip them in it after the washer finishes. It's pretty cheap and you don't use much of it (I think we use 1/2 cup for over 5 gallons of water at our restaurant, but I don't get involved with dish cleanup if I can help it. :p)

Thor's Mom

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
See, I just don’t understand this, and please don’t take this the wrong way. I’m not having a go at you or anything. I just don’t get it. Why do I wash my dishes or anything else for that matter, in a dishwasher if I am just going to have to dip/rinse/clean them with a sanitizer afterwards? I mean, why even bother with a dishwasher then? Isn’t dishwasher detergent a sanitizer? I really don’t understand it. :?:

peera

Sub-Adult Member
It's been a while since it was explained to me, and I'm tired, but essentially, no. Soap is NOT a sanitizer. Soap gets rid of dirt/oil/etc. Sanitizer kills bacteria. Soap is fine for YOUR dishes, because you're not leaving bacteria all over them if you're eating fully cooked, properly prepared food. (Although restaurants are still required to sanitize just in case, but they make us do all sorts of insane things to prevent contamination. It's hardly the weirdest.) However, our little friends are carriers of salmonella (And just maybe all sorts of other fun parisites if you don't get regular fecal exams done) and so the extra step until you're sure your dishwasher heats up high enough is something to consider. I hope that makes sense.

zimbabwepegasus

Extreme Poster
Ok. Not the point of the thread and to be fair- I don't think I know anyone on this site who dips their tiles in actual sanitizer liquid. I can't even think of anyone who has sanitizer liquid for their household!

Thor's Mom

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
It’s ok. I suppose I understand the concern, but honestly I am not worried in the least that my dishwasher is not getting hot enough to properly sanitize. Could I be wrong? Sure. But I’m really not paranoid about it at all. I have had no problems doing it this way and it really saves me a ton of time, since I have 3 of the little stinkers. I know for a fact that my tiles are cleaner than they ever used to be when I just scrubbed them with warm water. There are a lot of people here who successfully use steam cleaners to do their tiles and I highly doubt that a steam cleaner gets as hot as my dishwasher.

This is a helpful hints/tips thread. I wouldn’t have posted it if it hadn’t worked out so well for me. As with any advice thread on any forum, it’s a take it or leave it kind of thing. Some people are not going to be comfortable with putting their tiles in the dishwasher and that’s ok, but I am and will continue to do so. I just listed it because it has made my life so much easier.

slantedii

Hatchling Member
Lol, i think the title of the thread should be "to use, or not to use my dishwasher", jp, dont hurt me. Something that was really helpful for me as a new beardy owner, was getting my beardy friendly and used to me. He HATED :angry5: being held, and would jump and run and scamper. Very frustrating for someone who gave him EVERYTHING. So i played dirty, right when he was winding down for the night to go to bed, and started getting lethargic, i would pull him out of his little home and hold him while watching tv. He was too lazy to move and after a week or so, he really didnt mind being held. Give it a try if urs is as fiesty aas mine was.

ashesc212

Sub-Adult Member
slantedii":3489c said:
Lol, i think the title of the thread should be "to use, or not to use my dishwasher", jp, dont hurt me. Something that was really helpful for me as a new beardy owner, was getting my beardy friendly and used to me. He HATED :angry5: being held, and would jump and run and scamper. Very frustrating for someone who gave him EVERYTHING. So i played dirty, right when he was winding down for the night to go to bed, and started getting lethargic, i would pull him out of his little home and hold him while watching tv. He was too lazy to move and after a week or so, he really didnt mind being held. Give it a try if urs is as fiesty aas mine was.

Beardie Burritos!! HIP HIP HOORAY! :blob5: :blob8: :blob5: :blob8: :blob5: :blob8: :blob5: :blob8:

I usually dont beleive in answering to these sort of posts. I come on here to get info for myself and my sons new beardie. I find that most of the info I get is useful and I have learnt a LOT of things here that I had never even heard of before.
I dont understand how adults can start a fuss about so many different things.
If I read something that I dont think would work for me, I pass it over and leave it alone. Why continue to send 4, 6, 10 responses about something when it works for that person. Of course unless you KNOW it will harm their beardie?
To me, this is becoming worse and worse.
My advise to everyone is
If you see something you dont agree with. Then dont agree...it is ok to write your opinion..but, then it does not need to go on and on and on.
Sorry just an opinion. I am very new here, however It is making me question whether or not I even want to be here..and I have not posted a lot simply because of the fear of what people might respond..
just my thoughts
Gabby

maxattack

Juvie Member
Thor's Mom":e03ab said:
Gotcha.

Well, I do have to say that if my dishwasher does not even get hot enough to properly wash and sanitize my tiles, then I’m really not sure what the heck I’m doing eating off of the dishes that I wash in it. I have been doing this dishwasher thing for almost a year, I have never once had a problem with either myself or my dragons getting sick. I do believe that it gets at least 145 degrees in my dishwasher, both tiles and dishes come out too hot to touch after a cycle and I have to give them a little bit to cool down.

Thanks for the heads up, I will have to do some research to see how I can find out what temp. the wash cycle is going on. I do know that my hot water heater is turned up all the way.

:wink: Yeah, those of us who eat chicken on a regular basis are really in trouble!

Thor's Mom

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Lol, i think the title of the thread should be "to use, or not to use my dishwasher", jp, dont hurt me. Something that was really helpful for me as a new beardy owner, was getting my beardy friendly and used to me. He HATED being held, and would jump and run and scamper. Very frustrating for someone who gave him EVERYTHING. So i played dirty, right when he was winding down for the night to go to bed, and started getting lethargic, i would pull him out of his little home and hold him while watching tv. He was too lazy to move and after a week or so, he really didnt mind being held. Give it a try if urs is as fiesty aas mine was.

Ha Ha! I totally get that. My Diesel is fiercely independent. He loves to be out but he wants nothing to do with his people, he just likes to run around and explore and he loves to torment my cats. :roll: So yes, I play dirty with him like that. If I really want to hold him I just wait till he wants to go to sleep and I cuddle up with him in front of the TV too! They don't realize that their slaves are much smarter than they think. :lol:

Thor's Mom

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I usually dont beleive in answering to these sort of posts. I come on here to get info for myself and my sons new beardie. I find that most of the info I get is useful and I have learnt a LOT of things here that I had never even heard of before.
I dont understand how adults can start a fuss about so many different things.
If I read something that I dont think would work for me, I pass it over and leave it alone. Why continue to send 4, 6, 10 responses about something when it works for that person. Of course unless you KNOW it will harm their beardie?
To me, this is becoming worse and worse.
My advise to everyone is
If you see something you dont agree with. Then dont agree...it is ok to write your opinion..but, then it does not need to go on and on and on.
Sorry just an opinion. I am very new here, however It is making me question whether or not I even want to be here..and I have not posted a lot simply because of the fear of what people might respond..
just my thoughts

I do understand what you are saying and agree, but it's all good, no worries. Everyone does things a little differently and some people are very concerned about parasites or getting Samonilla. Me, not so much. I kiss my beardies on their mouth all the time (not trying to sound weird here, they are just so sweet, and cute and well, you know). Oh, they are going to be so embarrassed I am telling you guys they put up with this stuff. LOL! :lol: :lol: Don't ever ask them about it, as they will totally deny it and probably go off to join Tatsu's Army in pursuit of ultimate Beardy Domination. :whip:

Anyway, the parties concerned did put it in a nice and respectful way, so I am ok with it. Even if I disagree, I respect and appreciate their opinions. They didn't rake me over hot coals or anything.

Please do stick around and don't hesitate to chat with us. There is much more good than bad on this site and all of the great information will only benefit your beardie. The Mods work really hard to make sure everyone is friendly and helpful. I can say from first hand experience that if something goes wrong with your BD, you will find a great deal of emotional support here and a lot of people who truely care. Many members will bend over backwards to help, they really are first class. I use several online forums, and this one is the very best for Bearded Dragon enthuisasts. So please stick around and don't let it discourage you. What is good for one, may not seem like such a great idea to another, that's just the way it goes. :D

thank you for your responce...and yes for the most part I aggree with you. Very useful and caring people on this site for sure! :)
I wanted to make sure that my son who is almost 12 can come on here and read and post as he wishes with no worries about what he is going to read..
I beleive I am pretty confident in that now.
thanks

maxattack

Juvie Member
I like to let Buttercup roam around the house while I am doing laundry etc, but I worry about her getting too cold so I have a clamp lamp with a 125 watt MVB and a 2 foot step stool. I attach the clamp lamp to the side of a table and put the step stool under it. I have a cushion that I put next to the step stool so she can climb up and down. She is just getting used to it now, but she is really starting to enjoy herself! Anyway, I like the idea of a removable basking area in case I ever need to travel etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bre2236
Top Bottom