help

petriethebeardie

Beardie name(s)
Petrie
I have only had my beardie for about two months and he won’t let me pick him up or he starts running away and i don’t want to stress him out so i stop. how can i bond with him?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have only had my beardie for about two months and he won’t let me pick him up or he starts running away and i don’t want to stress him out so i stop. how can i bond with him?
Slowly work w/ him in the tank - hand feed him bsfl or super worms or horn worms- put a piece of your clothing in the hide so he gets a custom to your smell- the thing he needs to learn is to trust and it's going to take patience - you need to gain his trust- approach from the side never over head he will think your a predator -

Lobretto

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Verstappen and Checo
A big one that is often over looked is how quickly you move and how you approach. I don't tend to just open the enclosure and just go for the beardie. I move calmly and slowly towards the enclosure, wait and watch for a second as to not catch it off guard. Once I know it's aware and calm I'll slowly open the enclosure (about top opening enclosures) and reach in for something other then the beardie. If it seems tense I'll just keep my hand in just messing with decor so it gets used to me. Once it's calm I do my best to approach from underneath if possible and let ot choose if it wants to grab on or walk away. One advantage I have is all the time in the world with them. I don't have to leave to work so they tend to get used to my presence fairly quickly. Sometimes they are just spastic, occasionally even hyper aggressive, and nothing we do can change that. Patience is key.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
A trick i use is to snuggle them just before lights out. It work better if you cover them with a towel or warm heating pad. Once they are ready to sleep they will usually settle in and stay put.

Attachments

• IMG_2816.jpg
    IMG_2816.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 62

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom