Help with my bearded dragons eye

Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Looks like theres something in its eye that is bothering him usually has his eye closed bc of it. Any help would be great

Attachments

• E89DCB7B-C797-4611-B34E-7578BC3E0900.jpeg
    E89DCB7B-C797-4611-B34E-7578BC3E0900.jpeg
    129 KB · Views: 111

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Looks like theres something in its eye that is bothering him usually has his eye closed bc of it. Any help would be great
Please get some regular saline No contact lens stuff and rinse the eye- start there -- next what are you using for a substrate in the tank? Lights --- any colored off white yellowish daytime bulbs? UVB is it a coil or a long tube fixture?

Willygarcia100

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Please get some regular saline No contact lens stuff and rinse the eye- start there -- next what are you using for a substrate in the tank? Lights --- any colored off white yellowish daytime bulbs? UVB is it a coil or a long tube fixture?
i have a reptile carpet. uvb is a long tube. no yellowish daytime bulbs. been using medecine that vet gave me

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
i have a reptile carpet. uvb is a long tube. no yellowish daytime bulbs. been using medecine that vet gave me
Ok so substrate is out -- the long tube your using for a UVB is what brand and bulb please? What did the vet give for meds? How long has he been on it?

Willygarcia100

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Ok so substrate is out -- the long tube your using for a UVB is what brand and bulb please? What did the vet give for meds? How long has he been on it?
Meds was for the the inflammation of the eye bc it did swell a little so they wanted to see if swelling goes down first. It might be a anti-inflammatory eye drop. Ill get the exact name when i get home. And heres the pic of the uvb

Attachments

• 465E4301-45A9-42C0-BB89-61942C5B9FE0.jpg
    465E4301-45A9-42C0-BB89-61942C5B9FE0.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 68

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
also he is been on the medicine for 5 days
Ok so lets get the UVB properly placed ---- what size is your tank? Next please change out the bulb on the Zilla - get a Reptisun 10.0 T 8 those are way better bulbs --- next the T8's are not strong enough to go thru the screen so it needs to be unobstructed NO screen - -- next it needs to be directly over the basking decor piece 6-8 inches --- and please leave the cover off the fixture when replacing the bulb --- this is going to help the dragons eye -- I am flagging your post to some others on here that can maybe help some more -- but we need to get that UVB corrected ---
@AHBD
@Drache613

Willygarcia100

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Ok so lets get the UVB properly placed ---- what size is your tank? Next please change out the bulb on the Zilla - get a Reptisun 10.0 T 8 those are way better bulbs --- next the T8's are not strong enough to go thru the screen so it needs to be unobstructed NO screen - -- next it needs to be directly over the basking decor piece 6-8 inches --- and please leave the cover off the fixture when replacing the bulb --- this is going to help the dragons eye -- I am flagging your post to some others on here that can maybe help some more -- but we need to get that UVB corrected ---
@AHBD
@Drache613
will do that asap today after work! thanks you for that advice! i really want what is best for my beardie. tank size is a 30 gallon tank

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
will do that asap today after work! thanks you for that advice! i really want what is best for my beardie. tank size is a 30 gallon tank
Ok for a 30 gallon a 24" Zoo Med fixture will work --- how tall is the 30 gallon -- the Zoo Med comes w/a 5.0 bulb that is used for smaller tanks but the only thing is the height of the tank --- since the 5.0 is similar to the T8 it too will need to be the same distance but if that 30 gallon is a height of 12" or above then you can get the 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb -- they require a distance of 12-15 inches but that too would depend on the screen on your tank - if the screen is a wide hole the T 5 can sit on top w/ a distance of 8-10 inches w/ basking decor directly under it

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your little dragon's eye doing today? Which antibiotic eye medication are you using
for him right now, is it helping? I hope so, that eye looks like it probably hurts a little bit.
For now, I would use just a basking light right now, to let his eye heal up. Give him a couple
of weeks or so, before placing a new UVB light over him so his eye can heal up more easily.
How is his appetite doing?
Keep us posted on how he is doing!

Tracie

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
23parkera
Top Bottom