White dried lump on beardies eye

GarciaKelsey

Beardie name(s)
Spike
Hello new here ! Need some help , We adopted our spike from my nephew , when we got him he had a weird white lump just as in the photo (looks dried out) well it fell off the first time but is bad again. His eye does look more irritated this time around, he’s about 5 now I believe :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 47

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
From the picture it's hard to tell exactly, but could it just be some old shed that hasn't come off completely? Older dragons do tend to shed in small little patches like that.

-Brandon

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, it's a little hard to tell based on the picture but
it does look like some dried retained scales that haven't
shed off.
You can try to moisten it with a swab to see if that might
help to loosen it up some.

Tracie

Munkey’sMom

From the picture it's hard to tell exactly, but could it just be some old shed that hasn't come off completely? Older dragons do tend to shed in small little patches like that.

-Brandon
I have seen 3 beardies, 2 middle aged and 1 older who developed similar issues to this eye problem if it’s the same thing, though hard to tell from the pic. Our local exotic vet hadn’t seen it before, but having seen it x3 in rescued & pet beardies, it has to be something that isn’t rare. Oddly, I’ve been unable to find anything about it online! Every 5-10 days, they will get a buildup of this hard, crystalline substance on their eyelashes that will glue the eye shut. Usually affects one eye more than the other. Simple irrigation with unpreserved contact lens saline solution can help soften it but often doesn’t remove it all. Neither will cotton swabs. Occasionally I have to very gently remove it with tweezers and then copiously irrigate with saline, followed by application of over the counter, unpreserved eye drops for dry eyes means for humans (Systane). I have 5 beardies in my home at the moment & 2 have this problem. It is NOT an infection. Our local science & history museum has a dragon with the same issue. She too is on the north side of middle aged. That’s all I know about the topic!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have seen 3 beardies, 2 middle aged and 1 older who developed similar issues to this eye problem if it’s the same thing, though hard to tell from the pic. Our local exotic vet hadn’t seen it before, but having seen it x3 in rescued & pet beardies, it has to be something that isn’t rare. Oddly, I’ve been unable to find anything about it online! Every 5-10 days, they will get a buildup of this hard, crystalline substance on their eyelashes that will glue the eye shut. Usually affects one eye more than the other. Simple irrigation with unpreserved contact lens saline solution can help soften it but often doesn’t remove it all. Neither will cotton swabs. Occasionally I have to very gently remove it with tweezers and then copiously irrigate with saline, followed by application of over the counter, unpreserved eye drops for dry eyes means for humans (Systane). I have 5 beardies in my home at the moment & 2 have this problem. It is NOT an infection. Our local science & history museum has a dragon with the same issue. She too is on the north side of middle aged. That’s all I know about the topic!
Let have a couple of others look at it
@AHBD
@Drache613

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That does look like a small flaky piece of shed. Use a swab as Drache mentioned but put a mixture of raw honey + lukewarm water on it. The mixture of about 1large drop of raw honey with about 4 drops of water. The honey will soften and possibly wipe it away and is also has antimicrobial properties.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom