Help! Need to hide Bella from landlord!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zandi202

BD.org Addict
bunnyrut":2fbjcg2j said:
Blue paper around the tank.

put your beardie in a fish outfit.

look completely serious when saying it's a fish when your landlord questions it.

Awesome answer!

lovemylittleyoshi

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the advice and support! A few others were wondering why my landlord had to do an inspection and it was for refinancing purposes. The company who owns our apartment building owns many other properties, so I think they just did a quick inspection to evaluate their assets. I don't know why they do not allow reptiles, but I'm also afraid to even ask about it. I live in North Dakota, where the oil is booming and many people are homeless because we are growing faster than we can build houses. The rent is extremely expensive for what you get. My husband and I pay over $1000 for a 2 bedroom and it's outdated and somewhat old. Many apartments are close to $2000 a month. Anyway, I just wanted to point that out because with these circumstances, it makes it really difficult. This is a money-hungry, greedy community right now and it's not like the rest of the country at the moment (economically speaking). Houses are also way over-priced for what they are worth.

I brought Bella with me to work and she just stared at me the entire time. It was adorable... and she did amazing. No one even knew except for my manager. :) Again, I just want to thank everyone for the encouragement and understanding messages. :) I'm so glad for this site because I've had Izabella for three years now and she is doing wonderful. Her laid back personality and humor makes her very unique, and if I wouldn't have taken her I dont know if she would be alive today. That is enough for the night... I hope everyone has a great weekend!

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
sounds about what i am paying.

thin walls, crooked floors, squirrels scratching holes into the ceiling. just for a 1 bedroom apartment. and it was one of the cheaper places :/

they told us no pets here, but once we were moved in they were not concerned about our beardies. the manager has come in and never said anything about them. and why should they? they are in a tank off out of the way.

we would have to pay for cats and dogs, with a size limit on dogs.

have you tried calling your landlord and asking how they feel, now that you are moved in, about you getting a small animal that lives in a tank?

morphmom

BD.org Addict
Years ago, we had to be in geared to income housing. (Due to circumstances beyond our control) We were allowed 2cats but my mother had 3. I'm not a "cat person" but they were loved very dearly. Everytime we had an inspection, we would give the one cat (Maggie :wink: ) to a trusted friend. The same friend everytime. We did this for 3years! :shock: Soon Maggie looked forward to time with our friend, like a child looking forward to a sleep over :laughing6: Maggie lived 17 happy years with us because my family believes in forever, not for now. It was a valuable lesson to me. Now I have Myah who will live for 10yrs or more, my dog (Sara) who will live for 14years give or take and a Leo (Mylo) who will live for 20 or more, give or take. I can put in those years happily because I learned you don't just give up. Thought I'd share that with you based off of some of the comments you got.

lovemylittleyoshi

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
morphmom,

Thank you so much. It's nice to hear that, and I couldn't agree with you more! My husband and I feel the same way... our pets are forever not just when it's convenient for us. Izabella is part of our family and we would never just give her away or discard her like garbage. It's interesting that you say the cat looked forward to going to the friend's house... they are much smarter than they are given credit for! :D

lovemylittleyoshi

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
bunnyrut":3ux0l7o8 said:
sounds about what i am paying.

thin walls, crooked floors, squirrels scratching holes into the ceiling. just for a 1 bedroom apartment. and it was one of the cheaper places :/

they told us no pets here, but once we were moved in they were not concerned about our beardies. the manager has come in and never said anything about them. and why should they? they are in a tank off out of the way.

we would have to pay for cats and dogs, with a size limit on dogs.

have you tried calling your landlord and asking how they feel, now that you are moved in, about you getting a small animal that lives in a tank?

Honestly, I feel like if I do that then I will put myself in a more vulnerable position. Essentially, they could say "Okay, you have a reptile and we don't allow reptiles. You have 30 days to either move out or remove the animal." To them, this is great.. because then if we leave, there are 25 other people waiting to find a place to live and then they can raise the rent up even higher. Like I mentioned before, the greed here is INSANE. Many people are moving out of ND because of the housing issues. Jobs are great, but everything is very expensive.. even gas and groceries. If I go to Arizona, Minnesota... gas, groceries, and rent are not as expensive. Our original plans (two years ago), were to buy a house by now but we didn't know the housing market was going to turn out like it has. We have now made plans to move out of state within the next two years, after I graduate with my degree here.

Spoony

Sub-Adult Member
I'm so sorry to hear about your landlord issues. I just moved into a Studio apartment that doesn't allow furry animals, but I've been seriously wanting a Beardie for so long I just went up to my landlords and asked how they felt about a lizard that lives in a tank and doesn't scratch up the counters. They took a few days to research Beardies and I was approved. I'm not just waiting for the funding, but I'm so excited.

In terms of your landlord, I'd ask to see the lease agreement and speak specifically to the pet specification clause. Check into the details and phrase it as if you don't have a Beardie yet. See if that works for you.

I'm in California, so I know how things go with greed and ridiculous prices. I feel for ya. Glad your manager allowed you to bring Bella to work, not sure I'd get away with that at my job. Glad things worked out so far :D

Oriheme

Juvie Member
I know this is late but I just wanted to say, our apartments also only allow just fish tanks and birds(Although one of my neighbors got approval from the main owners for a hissing cockroach...but we weren't approved for our bearded dragon) SO I went and talked to the person who runs the property and she told me it was okay to have our bearded dragon as long as we hide him if the big bosses come into town(maybe once a year) lol :lol:. I'm not sure y only fish and birds are allowed, she didn't even know for sure, she said shes seen more damage from birds than any lizards that have been in these apartments over the years shes been running them.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I'm glad you got Bella all sorted and hopefully you'll have better luck when you move out of State. Until then I hope you don't have any more inspections! I guess I've been lucky, I live in a 1 bedroom apartment, have 6 beardies (all in separate tanks) and 2 geckos. My building manager knows about the beardies, her son is my dragon sitter. The owner has never shown up here and when my kitchen was re-done last year, the men who did the work never even mentioned that there was a 22" dragon staring at them the whole time. So I guess I'm ok, even though there's a "no pet" sign on the front door. There are so many dogs, cats and other animals in the 3 buildings, I don't think any landlord would say a word about pets one way or the other, there would be a riot!

bobbycarp

Hatchling Member
Ask your landlord for permission and offer a "pet security deposit" to keep your beardie. I agree they are less risk to the property and peace of mind of any other renters than fish and birds.

Momswims1

Juvie Member
I took my beardies to work with me by taking them in a clear plastic rubbermade container, about 16" tall and 20" wide. I put wood for them to get up to the basking light, put a typical tank cover over the plastic container so I had something to put the basking light on, and also took a harnass so I could take them outside every chance I got to get sunshine. I took greens in a baggy and a little container of supers. They did great and totally enjoyed being celebrities for the day. They were warm and happy.

Jaskotch

Juvie Member
so the best advice offered here is to hide the animal on the day of the inspection and hope that your deception is not discovered at some future date?
you have 3 options. either work it out with the landlord, rehome your pet, or move. the landlord sets the rules, it's his property. if you think it's OK to break the terms of your lease agreement, then you'll have to accept whatever happens down the road.

JenFid

Sub-Adult Member
I'm glad it worked out for you. We're renting a house currently through a leasing company, and this particular site for pet rules was "2 under 25lbs" and a pet deposit. I was like, errr we have 1 50lb dog, that equals 2 25lb dogs! And makes less of a mess, since it's only one dog instead of 2! But no, they wanted a higher pet deposit for him, ok whatever :roll: We never even mentioned the dragons. The property manager has been over a time or 2, once for a city inspection that they're required to do for rental properties (checking smoke detectors, etc) and one other time - she never batted an eye at the dragons. Wonder how she'd feel about a tegu? :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom