Help! Need to hide Bella from landlord!

Status
Not open for further replies.

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
If it's 30 degrees out, I'd get a Hot Hands or a microwaved sock of rice wrapped in a towel and put it in the shoebox. If you don't have that, put the shoebox in your jacekt with you. Being outside in that cold of temperature could be harmful to your beardie, even short term.

If she's awake and moving around, I'd put her on the floor. If she's sleeping nicely, you can keep her on the desk.

lovemylittleyoshi

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Microwaved sock of rice wrapped in a towel? Is this something I can make? I was also going to put her in a bag I have for extra protection. However, I will do whatever it takes to keep her safe and warm.

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
Putting her in a bag isn't going to protect her from the cold. The techniques we use to keep warm won't work with reptile since they're cold blooded.

I've never used the rice sock myself, but it looks like you can microwave it for 15-20 seconds. I'd imagine if it felt warm but not hot in your hand, it could work. If you have a microwave at work, you could repeat before you leave. It's a bit random but it works :lol:

lovemylittleyoshi

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Okay, thank you so much! I will update after our adventurous day tomorrow! Maybe she can handle some of the paperwork if she isn't sleeping.. ha! Kidding... I wish though! ;)

Spikey92

Juvie Member
I wish you all the best and good luck for tomorrow :)
You can also use a plastic water bottle and fill it with warm water and see if your beardie wants to lay on it/close to it

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
The hot water bottle is a good idea and the rice sock is just that, a sock filled with rice, so anything would do for that, just fill with rice, sew it up tight and I think you microwave for 60 seconds, but try 30 & then if not warm enough, another 30. Also see if you can get her lights on earlier so she's warm, wrap her up in a fleece blanket or something else that hold in warmth and make sure your car is really warm before you put her in. Randommonks is right, no heat or UVB for a few hours won't hurt her at all. Good luck! Does your landlord do these inspections often? I've lived in my apartment for 3 yrs, never had any inspections except from the fire guys. Strange that reptiles aren't acceptable but fish and birds are, I mean reptiles are quiet and birds can drive you crazy with the noise!

And I'm very glad you saved Bella, worth it all :D I have 5 beardies, 3 rescued and 2 geckos. My building manager's son is my dragonsitter, so as long as she's ok with them and she is, I'm ok. My landlord would never visit me, he lives too far away! So I guess I'm lucky in that way.

carlisv

Hatchling Member
Especially this time of year, if a beardie is in a dark and cool environment, they'll go right to sleep. I've taken Richard to work with me a time or two, and once he gets to the office he likes to hang out behind my computer because it's warmer. But otherwise he just naps in his lined picnic basket. Just make sure you don't give him anything to eat until he's been warmed up for an hour or more and will have a few more hours of heat before lights out. If food sits in a cold dragon tummy it tends to reappear in a most unpleasant way.

I'm mystified by your landlord's restrictions though. I wonder if by "reptiles" he means mainly snakes. He might be afraid someone will get a snake that will grow to be dangerous, scare away renters, or even escape. Hmmmm. I'd rather have reptiles next door than yappy little dogs. Maybe it would warrant a subtle question or two to find out his logic, then maybe you can reassure him and get to keep your dragon without having to worry about unplanned visits from the landlord.

Killzone3265

Juvie Member
you are probably sleeping right now lol, but you could always hide your beardie in a small box and in a cupboard, but i do think that what people previously suggested is to take her to work with you. if her tank is small enough, do you think you could hide it in a closet and just fold some clothes ontop of it?

ohmybandit

Sub-Adult Member
Good luck tomorrow! If I had to hide my beardie from a landlord, I'd probably take her with me to work and throw her tank in my closet with sky high piles of clothes on it in the corner :lol: No one would want to go through dirty laundry!

jezwolf175

Sub-Adult Member
Wow that is strange that the landlord doesn't allow reptiles. We know our building manager is strict on dogs and cats. The whole peeing on carpets thing and making it smell and stuff. Good luck tomorrow. If I had to do that I would stuff the tank in the closet, throw all the junk I have on top of it and smile. Lol

beardieparents7780

Hatchling Member
Well from my experience a lot of places that rent have these restrictions. I recently moved to a townhouse and they had the same rule. A lot of times the landlord is ok with having certain pets they just list things in a general sense. Me,my wife and children are animal lovers we have 2 beardies,3 dogs,two cats,fish and a turtle. I just made sure it was ok before I moved in. As for your situation from my experience those checks are usually really quick walk throughs and they don't look through your closets etc. I'm not sure how big your setup is but maybe put it in a closet and try to hide it but leave proper ventilation or perhaps move them to a friends or family members place for that day. After that I would check with your landlord and ask if it would be ok to have a beardie. I've owned over 20 different kind of reptiles at one point or another and I'm sure they have those rules in place for larger and possibly more problematic kinds that could get loose and possibly hurt another pet or someone's small child. It's always good to be a responsible pet owner and know about what you keep in your house or property but unfortunately a lot of people are irresponsible and that's why they have these rules.

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
Blue paper around the tank.

put your beardie in a fish outfit.

look completely serious when saying it's a fish when your landlord questions it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom