Health

Deneen

Original Poster
Thank you so much. The pet store is going to exchange all our old items and replace with all new items. This is just to ensure there wasn’t a virus. So we’re grateful for that. In addition, we purchased the light bulbs suggested as well. Do we separate the sides (hot, cold, and uvb light in the middle) or both lights on the same side with uvb light middle? Also, during the day which light stays on throughout the day?

I’ll most certainly upload a picture of our new family member. This community has definitely given us the support we so desperately need to move forward. My daughter was sad.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Deneen, I'm so sorry for what you + your daughter and the baby dragons went through. You tried everything and spent a lot of money to set things up with the advice you had.
Hopefully things will go better with the next one. !

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thank you so much. The pet store is going to exchange all our old items and replace with all new items. This is just to ensure there wasn’t a virus. So we’re grateful for that. In addition, we purchased the light bulbs suggested as well. Do we separate the sides (hot, cold, and uvb light in the middle) or both lights on the same side with uvb light middle? Also, during the day which light stays on throughout the day?

I’ll most certainly upload a picture of our new family member. This community has definitely given us the support we so desperately need to move forward. My daughter was sad.
You want 3 temps in that tank - hot side around 100 surface basking spot under lamp 105-110 use the probe -- middle of the tank around 90's and the cool side of the tank 80ish ---- the UVB can go in the middle of the tank most prefer as close to the basking light as possible - my tank is a 120 gallon so I have two basking areas one on the far side of the tank and one in the middle where my UVB is - that area is around 90's - as the dragon gets older like 6 months he will not want those surface basking temps so hot - temp will drop down to around 95-100 -- at night the tank should be dark and ambient temp 65-75 --- if you need extra heat at night please use a CHE I can help w/ that but get a ambient temp at night check first thing in the morning before lights on --- photo period 12 hrs on and 12 hrs off

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Thank you so much. The pet store is going to exchange all our old items and replace with all new items. This is just to ensure there wasn’t a virus. So we’re grateful for that. In addition, we’re going to purchase the light bulbs suggested as well. I’ll most certainly upload a picture of our new family member. This community has definitely given us the support we so desperately need to move forward. My daughter was sad.
Yeah, loosing a beardie is terrible. I’ve lost two last year, left my heart hollow for some time. It gets easier though, all you need to do is give it time. I’m so sorry for you and your daughter’s loss

Deneen

Original Poster
Hi Deneen, I'm so sorry for what you + your daughter and the baby dragons went through. You tried everything and spent a lot of money to set things up with the advice you had.
Hopefully things will go better with the next one. !
Thank you we are praying. I’m glad I found this group. Everyone is encouraging, helpful, and knowledgeable.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
i would be one of the ones that karrieree mentioned that originally started here for advice. the person i rescued sir henry from bought the recommended kit and followed everything petco suggested. those kits are garbage and a great way to kill a dragon. he was near death when i got him. luckily i learned quickly from this site and he's thriving chunk of 3.5 year old dragon love now! welcome to the most awesome community. we all care deeply for every dragon like they are our own.

but don't give up! once you get things set up properly things are a lot easier. i would suggest working with us to get everything dialed in and THEN getting a new dragon. that way you're making sure your new baby is coming home to the most optimal environment right off the bat. i am so sorry this has happened to you twice already.

Deneen

Original Poster
i would be one of the ones that karrieree mentioned that originally started here for advice. the person i rescued sir henry from bought the recommended kit and followed everything petco suggested. those kits are garbage and a great way to kill a dragon. he was near death when i got him. luckily i learned quickly from this site and he's thriving chunk of 3.5 year old dragon love now! welcome to the most awesome community. we all care deeply for every dragon like they are our own.

but don't give up! once you get things set up properly things are a lot easier. i would suggest working with us to get everything dialed in and THEN getting a new dragon. that way you're making sure your new baby is coming home to the most optimal environment right off the bat. i am so sorry this has happened to you twice already.
Thank you for such hope. The store associates were great in exchanging all our recently purchased used habitat. So we can start anew. I’m glad I stumbled across this site. We now have a bearded family!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sorry you lost 2 dragons so close together. That is very rough & distressing. :cry:
That is good to hear the petstore workers were helpful in exchanging your supplies, etc for you.
We are all here to help out. I hope you stay here & meet people, it is very helpful.
My condolences to you & your family.

Tracie

Deneen

Original Poster
Hello,

I am so sorry you lost 2 dragons so close together. That is very rough & distressing. :cry:
That is good to hear the petstore workers were helpful in exchanging your supplies, etc for you.
We are all here to help out. I hope you stay here & meet people, it is very helpful.
My condolences to you & your family.

Tracie
Thank you Tracie, my daughter and I are here to stay. We’re grateful for all the support. We purchased the 40 Gallon habitat. My daughter will be disinfecting and setting up the habitat tomorrow. I’ll post a picture of her setup to make sure her setup is correct.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is wonderful to hear, we are all reptile lovers, well all animals here. We will all help as much as
we can with the tank setup up. I hope your daughter is doing ok, it takes time to get past the loss of
pets but you usually don't really get over it but just learn to deal with it.
I know another one will come into your life, when the time is right.

Tracie

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
So sorry to hear that your 2 babies passed away. Feel so bad for your daughter. :( Unfortunately pet stores don't know how to care for all the different types of pets they sell. Babies are very particular with their needs in order to do well, appropriate temps and proper UVB lighting is extremely important.
What size tank are you using? It looks like you might have been using 2 - 100 watt basking bulbs at the same time, that's a lot of heat and babies can get dehydrated very quickly. In order to get an accurate basking surface temp, you would need a temperature gun. Amazon has some with very good prices, I could share a link with you if you'd like. To get an accurate reading, you would hold the gun pointed down over the basking spot and about 2" from it. For a baby, the basking surface temp should be in the 105 to 110 range.
As mentioned by other members above, you would need a long fluorescent UVB tube that covers about 1/2 of the enclosure length. The Arcadia 12% and Repti-Sun 10.0 T5 high output bulbs are the best. The coil & compact UVB's that fit in the round domes are very weak and won't prevent metabolic bone disease from developing and they don't provide enough UV rays. If you have any questions, let us know.

Deneen

Original Poster
Thank you. She has a 40 gallon tank. The store replaced everything (tank, etc) so she started from the beginning. They weren’t sure if it was a virus but did mention a breeder issue. With the help from you all we increased lighting (see attached). My concern is the temperature. It’s currently rising and we’re at 92. What do we do if it doesn’t rise to 100?

Attachments

• IMG_9849.jpeg
    IMG_9849.jpeg
    156 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_9848.jpeg
    IMG_9848.jpeg
    181.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_8980.jpeg
    IMG_8980.jpeg
    123.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_8976.jpeg
    IMG_8976.jpeg
    126.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_8977.jpeg
    IMG_8977.jpeg
    179.9 KB · Views: 21

Deneen

Original Poster
Originally we had one basking side and one cool side (uvb side but a dome). Both were 100 watts. In addition, the night light that she put on only at night.

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Thank you. She has a 40 gallon tank. The store replaced everything (tank, etc) so she started from the beginning. They weren’t sure if it was a virus but did mention a breeder issue. With the help from you all we increased lighting (see attached). My concern is the temperature. It’s currently rising and we’re at 92. What do we do if it doesn’t rise to 100?
You need to measure your temperature using a ZooMed thermometer. Place the sensor, which is located at the end of the wire, in the center of the heating zone, where dragon will sit and wait 10-20 minutes. For a young dragon the temperature should be 105-110.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Two 150 watt bulbs it will get there and more than likely hotter--- please watch those temps --- you only need a hot side of the tank - ambient 100 or so surface basking temp 105-110- this will change when the dragon reaches 6 months of age and will drop to 95-100 for surface basking temps

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom