He doesn't like the new interior

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Luis does not (yet) like his new interior and demands to get out of there
IMG_20240331_090435.jpg

Just to remember it's almost bedtime and fall asleep seconds afterwards....
IMG_20240330_180415.jpg

It's just to cute when they roll up on your belly 🥰

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
Mine was also very skeptical about the recent tank upgrade (I won't do regular changes, but this was the one that made sense to do, and that's now with upgrades). He climbed up immediately, and then didn't use it for weeks, walked around it... Now he's "warmed up".
Otherwise I would have removed it, of course.

Last edited:

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
Can agree - that's a very nice setup :) I'm pretty sure he'll soon love it.
I just see your Luis has some dark scales on his head. Did he always have them? My dragon didn't have them always, he got them at about 8 month age. Gives them a bit a "dinosaur" look, I think :D

Chris.

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Yes, I'm very used to him not liking changes but it was necessary due to the build of new tank, his one was placed on top of. His tank basically had to loose weight because four grown men were unable to lift it up 🙈

@ChileanTaco he was around eight months when I got him, he is 1 1/2 now. He has not always had the darker scales and they even come and go like most of his colors. He changes them a lot really and especially his darker tones. Also he tends to shed single scales mostly.

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
@Chris.
Thanks for a bit more on this :) My Taco is also changing his colors quite a lot. Sometimes it literally happens I'm just going to grab my camera from another room and... he looks different.
He was also very dark when he came out of brumation (no black beard!), and changed back to "sand with some purple" after about 2 days.
Taco is still shedding in patches, but he's younger than Luis.

Chris.

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
From what I've read the shedding could be his leatherback morphe. They seem to shed slighlty different and slower in some cases.

Luis has a dark (not black but greyish) beard most of the time. He only really goes orange if he sits on my shoulder for some reason. It's even grey when he sleeps (you can see it a little in the above picture).
Now that you mention it, I just looked at a pic right after he woke from brumation. He is really dark red there instead of his orange.
IMG_20231203_103537_bfab49.jpg

Has your Taco discovered hissing already? Luis found out he is able to hiss last week and discovered people are scared of him if he does it and now he constantly hisses randomly (but without a black or puffed beard so I'm pretty sure he's not serious about it) 😂

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
Has your Taco discovered hissing already? Luis found out he is able to hiss last week and discovered people are scared of him if he does it and now he constantly hisses randomly (but without a black or puffed beard so I'm pretty sure he's not serious about it) 😂
When we added the new climbing structure to his enclosure, Taco hissed at my husband (with puffed beard, but beard had a light coloration) who even didn't recognize what's going on :D That was the only time he did it.

The only hisser I encountered was.... so, we have some Madagascar hissing roaches and hope they breed. They are notorous escapers, and the lid we thought would hold them in was to weak. So two fat fully grown ones, we counted them, had escaped of which we found one behind a dresser where we got it out together (my husband who is stronger than me pulling the dresser slowly from the wall, and me who is not afraid of bugs (he is!) was grabbing the roach and it hissed like crazy :D)
I then got a "lock & lock" box and no escapers anymore.
But no, Taco isn't hissing and there are also usually no other people than us around.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
From what I've read the shedding could be his leatherback morphe. They seem to shed slighlty different and slower in some cases.

Luis has a dark (not black but greyish) beard most of the time. He only really goes orange if he sits on my shoulder for some reason. It's even grey when he sleeps (you can see it a little in the above picture).
Now that you mention it, I just looked at a pic right after he woke from brumation. He is really dark red there instead of his orange.
View attachment 88646

It's called firing up, they do it when warm/happy. Him getting the orange beard when you hold him is because he is comfortable and happy with you.

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Luis does not (yet) like his new interior and demands to get out of there
View attachment 88639

Just to remember it's almost bedtime and fall asleep seconds afterwards....
View attachment 88640

It's just to cute when they roll up on your belly 🥰
Cool photos! :love: Luis is very emotional in the first photo, he is just outraged that everything has changed. And the second photo is very cute, I also love it when Foxy falls asleep on my belly.

Chris.

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Cool photos! :love: Luis is very emotional in the first photo, he is just outraged that everything has changed. And the second photo is very cute, I also love it when Foxy falls asleep on my belly.
He is really really emotional in general and right now more than ever. He just wanted to go to sleep (it's 8pm here) and head bobed at because his favourite sleeping branch is now blocked off.
I know, that's my bad...

How is Foxy doing? You are not as active as you used to be @NickAVD and I'm missing the pics of Foxy ;)

@xp29 sometimes I'm not sure if he even likes me but the last time we were at the vet he would puff up and try to run and bite like I've never seen him. The vet even asked if "he was normally tame?". Kind of funny when you see him sleeping like this but I also enjoy being the only human he tolerates ;)

@ChileanTaco stay tuned for puberty then, it's no joke 😂

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
@ChileanTaco stay tuned for puberty then, it's no joke 😂
I have read.... I thought it starts after brumation but didn't yet. He's now more energetic than the weeks before, but there's no hissing, no mating rituals. I have also never seen him head bobbing.
So far, his personality is that of a calm curious guy, but I know this can change.
At the reptile store where I got him, when I came back for other things (trying out different kinds of insects before ordering a bunch, and they also have a small aquarium section where we bought something for our fish tank), I was asked (in broken English - not to blame them, but rather blame me for my Spanish that's still ways too basic so they had to use English 🙃 ), whether Taco is "aggressive".👾

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
How is Foxy doing? You are not as active as you used to be @NickAVD and I'm missing the pics of Foxy ;)
Foxy is now asleep on my belly and is dreaming, but he says 'hi' to Luis, I will soon be moving him to sleep in the terrarium.
Yes, I have a lot of work now and I finish late at night, so I only have time to read the news on the forum. Although, I recently managed to make a video about how Foxy hunts, you may have seen this video.
IMG-ebbf40ca2b84366049f02d57c17f8d49-V.jpg

Chris.

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Foxy is now asleep on my belly and is dreaming, but he says 'hi' to Luis, I will soon be moving him to sleep in the terrarium.
Yes, I have a lot of work now and I finish late at night, so I only have time to read the news on the forum. Although, I recently managed to make a video about how Foxy hunts, you may have seen this video.
View attachment 88648
Where did you post it? I can't find it on your profile...
Sorry to hear that and I can relate, work is a pain right now.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom