Feeding concerns for baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptileguy707

Original Poster
I couldn't take him to the vet my sister had to do it. No he didn't check his fecal matter, he just said that he was way too skinny and dehydrated. Well I didn't need to pay for that lol! He was so skinny he didn't even show up on the scale, he's not even 10grams. I am going to get the repta aid tomorrow after work!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Since he said he was dehydrated, he didn't even give any IV fluids? Was he a reptile vet? If so, you certainly have a right to call him tomorrow & ask him some questions.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Honestly without trying to scare you, you need to get some food in him tonight.I know you may not like the idea but I think you have to force feed him.Start with the babyfood slurry for tonight and then add the repta aid tomorrow.Do you have a plastic needless syringe?

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Ok so a needless syringe is the easiest way to go but if you dont have that then use a plastic spoon.What you can do is first try the easy way which is tickle the side of his mouth with a qtip which makes them open up then quickly and slip the syringe in and dont remove it until your done feeding.If using the spoon then you can slide it in from the side and they should open up with little force.Did you get those temps checked with a probe therm yet?This is real important it will seriously affect his appetite.

Reptileguy707

Original Poster
Ok I will try that now, Yea I checked his temps with a probe therm and he is basking at about 105.... Ill try force feeding him and let you know how it goes....

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Go slow & easy and make sure you enter from the side, rather than the front as you don't want him to choke. Don't squirt very much in at a time either, ok? Keep us updated & good luck. Only use a small amt of chicken with a larger amt of the squash or mixed veggie babyfood and you should thin it with just a small amt of water.

Reptileguy707

Original Poster
He didn't open up, I am sure he is stressed enough so I am going to just let him sleep and get some rest. I will try Repta-aid tomorrow.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Reptileguy707":71e7d said:
He didn't open up, I am sure he is stressed enough so I am going to just let him sleep and get some rest. I will try Repta-aid tomorrow.
You may have to pry a little nex time.I know it sounds harsh but its really not just slip it in the side trust me he'll open up.

carmallarm

Hatchling Member
Sunny and Draco hate having their mouths opened for them. When I had to dose them with Panacur, I had to wrap them in towels (1 @ a time, of course), hold their upper jaw with one hand, use the other hand to pinch the skin under their jaw, while holding the needleless syringe in one pinkie, then pry their mouths open and put in the Pancur, at the same time trying not to squirt the liquid in too quickly. Hard to do with only 2 hands! I'm so glad I had a knowledgeable vet show me how to open their mouths, because there's no way I could have figured it out on my own. Draco got pretty good about it, but Sunny still hissed and bearded during the entire process.

I don't have any advice for you about opening tough guy's mouth, especially since his is so small. Just remember to be really gentle, as you would with any baby, and remember that getting nutrients into him is crucial to keeping him alive.

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with your vet. It sounds like you didn't get nearly as much info as you needed. Definitely call them up yourself tomorrow and ask to get put through to the vet that your sister brought tough guy to, and make sure that you get all of your questions answered. No question is too small, and you have a right to the vet's expertise, especially since questions were left unanswered from this past visit. Before you call, make a list of all of your questions, during the phone call be friendly but firm, and make sure that you understand everything before you hang up. Most vets actually become more responsive when they see how much of an interest you have in your pet.

I'd also strongly recommend pushing to have a fecal sample examined. It shouldn't cost too much to process, especially since the vet's office already has info on your pet. My vet charges ~$80 for a fecal for an animal that hasn't been seen by the vet clinic before, but that price drops to $26 for an established patient.

Good luck, and I hope your little guy starts eating some more.

Reptileguy707

Original Poster
Sorry I haven't updated....
So I gave him a lot of pedialyte and yogurt and some baby food as well. I had to pry his mouth open (which was not fun!) and had to feed him through a syringe. I got home today with some repta-aid and dragon yummys and I looked at him and he is a lot better! I don't think I need to give him repta-aid any more. He still wont eat his crickets even after I put them in the fridge for a couple minutes, but he is so much more lively than he was before. He just shed his skin and he took a bath today and he was drinking the water (which he's never done before).... Makes me feel a lot better but I'm hoping he will eat soon. Can I force feed him crickets or wax worms? Or should I just I just stick to force feeding him baby food?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi, that's good that you got some babyfood into him & he is more lively. You mentioned that you're giving yogurt, since they CAN'T digest dairy, you have to make sure that it is SOY yogurt, if not, please don't give him anymore of that, ok? What babyfood are you feeding? Pedialyte is good for him, will help raise his electrolytes. You could mix a little bit of Repti-Aid with a little bit of squash, but you shouldn't give him any Pedialyte if you're going to be giving the Repti-Aid as that would be too strong for him and could tax his kidneys or liver. Good that he took a drink in his bath today too, did he also take a poop?
You could try handfeeding him a few crickets & see how that goes. Make sure you allow at least 1 1/2 hrs for him to digest under the basking bulb before you turn his lights out. Each time before you give him the babyfood, always put a little on his nose to see if he will lick if off first before you decide to forcefeed him as that will lessen his stress and probably yours too.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Hi
Glad you got him to eat a little bit today and that he is doing better.Yes you can try hand feeding the crix/worms as Diane said and if you have the guts you could blend them up in a mixer and add it to the babyfood slurry which is really gross I know but if he doesnt take the live feeders from you then thats another thing you could try.

Reptileguy707

Original Poster
I am giving him yogurt with activia? That is what the vet said to use. Is that ok or no? I wont feed that to him any more if not. I am feeding him squash babyfood along with sweet potatoes. I have bought other kinds but haven't really tried any of them. He ended up eating 2 crickets by himself today after the bath. He still has some more old skin on him. So will he eat more after he has all the dead skin off of him? He did poop a little bit but not in the bath. Yea I don't want to force feed if I dont have to, he is starting to get a sore from it. But he already seems to be so much more better then he was a couple days ago. Thank you guys for all your help we both are very grateful :D :D :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Reptileguy707":a9e4f said:
I am giving him yogurt with activia? That is what the vet said to use. Is that ok or no? I wont feed that to him any more if not. I am feeding him squash babyfood along with sweet potatoes. I have bought other kinds but haven't really tried any of them. He ended up eating 2 crickets by himself today after the bath. He still has some more old skin on him. So will he eat more after he has all the dead skin off of him? He did poop a little bit but not in the bath. Yea I don't want to force feed if I dont have to, he is starting to get a sore from it. But he already seems to be so much more better then he was a couple days ago. Thank you guys for all your help we both are very grateful :D :D :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh I am glad to hear he ate a little on his own.No dont give him that yogurt its dairy and can hurt him.You need to get him SOY yogurt.Stoneyfield farms makes a good soy yogurt and most markets sell them.He may eat more once the shedding is done but I think you should continue doing what you are doing.What do you mean he is sore from the feeding?Another tip you can try mixing some fruit baby food with the veggie he may be more apt to take it willingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom