Feeding concerns for baby

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had "tough guy" for about 2 or 3 weeks now, hes just a baby and he doesnt really eat that much crickets at all. I try and leave 10 in there at all times but he only eats when ever he feels like it i guess. I offer him greens sometimes but he never touches those. I give him pellets and this purple stuff called bites. He doesnt seem to eat any of that stuff. Just crickets every now and then. He does go poop everyday or so, I was told that is a good thing! I have a reptisun 10.0 and a basking light and his temps are around 85-95 depending on the tempature of the house. How come he doesnt eat that much?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi, let's see if we can help figure out why your baby isn't eating more. I have some questions that we need the answers to so that we can get an idea of his set up.
How old is he or what is his length?
Is the Repti-Sun 10.0 a coil, compact or strip fluorescent bulb? How close is he to this bulb and is it brand new? What size tank is it in inches and what wattage basking bulb are you using? Is it a colored or white bulb? Is the UVB and basking bulb alongside each other? What type of thermometer are you using to check the temps?
How often are you using calcium and vitamin supplements?
How do you keep him hydrated? I ask this because babies can get dehydrated very quickly.
What substrate do you have on the bottom of his tank?
What greens are you offering & do you offer fresh ones daily?

If you are leaving the crickets in at all times, that really isn't a good idea because they will chew on him causing nasty sores while he is sleeping.
Once you fill us in on these questions, it will be a big help so we can go further. :wink:

Reptileguy707

Original Poster
First of all I just want to say thank you for helping me!!!!! I am not sure how to post pictures so I uploaded a web album so you can see all my photos of him here: http://picasaweb.google.com/Super70elcamino/ToughGuy#

-I have had tough guy for 3 weeks, I was told he was a hatchling when I got him. He is pretty small.
-My UVB light is brand new and it is a florescent tube and he has a hammock about 6" underneath of it.
-The basking bulb is 150W i think it doesnt say, it is not colored and it is pretty as far as it can be from the UVB bulb. But I just bought a ceramic heater and should be here soon.
-I am using a digital thermometer on the basking side and an analog meter on the cooler side.
-I have been putting D3 on all the crickets before I give them to him.
-I spray him with a mister at least once a day but I try to do it 2 times a day. But he hates it....
-I have reptile carpet for substrate.
-I offer him red leaf lettuce but he doesnt even go near it.

I was told not to leave crickets in there at all times for the same reason. but I keep an eye on them and they never really bother him and when he sleeps he always go on his hammock and they never go up there. But I want to have food in there at all times, thats why I leave them in there.

- So any input would be great. I need help, he looks like he is getting skinny :oops: Im kind of worried

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi, thanks for answering the questions. He is a little guy, sure can't afford to lose any weight so let's see what we can do for him. :)

You mentioned that you're using a 150 watt basking bulb. What size tank is he in? I saw the digital thermometer in the pictures and I'm glad to see that it is the probe type. When you take the temperatures, do you have the probe end laying right on the basking surface, then wait about 45 min for the temp to stop rising before you get the final reading? If you are doing it that way, then I suggest you put a lower wattage basking bulb alongside the basking bulb you have now or invest in a flood light. Babies tend to like temps over 100 and even closer to 110 but it shouldn't be any higher than 110. A low wattage ceramic heat emitter alongside the basking bulb might work too but you wouldn't want too high of a wattage.

I'm glad that you are using a real good UVB. The basking bulb and UVB should be right alongside each other so he can get both benefits at once when he is basking. So, another option would be to use the hammock as the basking area and putting in a lower wattage basking bulb & you could even use a standard household lightbulb for that as those work fine.

Good to hear that you're using reptile carpet rather than calci or vita-sand. For his age, you should be dusting his live food with calcium with D-3 but phosphorus-free 5 days a wk, but only 1 feeding a day & with vitamins the other 2 days a wk, but only 1 feeding a day. When you mist him, make sure you're misting in his tank as it could raise the humidity too high which can cause an upper respiratory infection. My beardies never liked being misted either so you could bathe him at least 3 to 4 times a wk instead. If you need help with that, let me know, it's really quite easy and hydrates them much more. You could also offer drinks of water with a little pinch of calcium or vitamins in it (depending on the day of the wk that you would offer one of those) and put drops on his nose with a plastic medicine dropper for him to lick off. Might take a few minutes for him to get the idea. Our beardies love diluted 100% juices (no sugar added) dilute with 4 parts water to 1 part juice and put drops on his nose, once he gets a taste, you'll see his tongue go around in circles to get every drop. Flavors I've used are cherry,(their favorite) grape, apple & cranberry.

Here's a site that shows the best greens/veggies to feed. The staple foods are printed in green ink. http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html Even though he may not show much interest in them, it's still a good idea to offer fresh ones daily, like escarole, collards, mustard greens, endive as lettuce doesn't have much nutritional value & is mostly water.

I really think you should remove the uneaten crickets as I have 1 beardie that sleeps on his hammock & I have had to remove crickets that ended up crawling on him when he was sleeping more than once. I know crickets like to hide but none of us want our beardies to be bitten by them and I have seen pictures of some nasty sores that have been caused by them. Beardies don't eat after lights are out anyway so to prevent disturbing their sleep & stressing them out, please consider removing them.

If you have any other questions, let us know but I think once you adjust the temps, move the lights alongside each other, feed other greens/veggies, increase the hydration and use the calcium & vitamins as suggested, that you'll notice a difference. Another thing you could do to give him a boost, is to try handfeeding crickets or if they seem to move to fast for him, put about 1/2 dozen in a ziploc bag & place in the frig for a few minutes which helps slow them down. Also, if needed, you could pick up some chicken and squash babyfood & mix a small amt of chicken with a larger amt of squash & a little water or Pedialyte to thin it & offer with a plastic medicine dropper by putting drops on his nose for him to lick off. The chicken has protein in it and should help give him a boost so he doesn't lose wt until he eats well on his own.

Keep us updated, ok?

Reptileguy707

Original Poster
WOW! Thanks a million for all the information! I will be getting him some fresh veggies tomorrow and move the lights so he can get best of both worlds! I will try hand feeding him crickets. I will also try the medicine dropper to hydrate him as well....! I will keep you updated for sure!!!!!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I know it was a lot of info to try to absorb at once, but I didn't want to leave anything out.

Just curious as to what size tank you have 150 watt bulb in?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ooh, if he's in a 15 gallon tank, he certainly shouldn't need a 150 watt bulb, that seems like WAY too much. Are you sure it's 150? You should only need a 60 or 75 watt bulb. Has he been laying in the basking area? I would bathe him tomorrow in case he is dehydrated.

Reptileguy707

Original Poster
I'm not sure if it is a 150W could be smaller. I just found a bulb laying around my house. I think its for outside, it looks like a flood light. But yea he lies underneath it and it gives good temperature readings. I will give him a bath tomorrow just in case he is dehydrated....

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ok, then, as long as the temps are good. Make sure you wait a good 45 min with the probe laying right on the basking spot before you decide the temps though, ok? You could actually hold him in your hand when you do the bath, making sure the vent area (where he poos) is right down in the water for good hydration.

Please keep me posted.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Just wondering how "tough guy" is doing today & how you made out with the temperatures?

Reptileguy707

Original Poster
He is the same! He pooped when I gave him a bath lol.... He hasn't ate anything at all yet. I put 7 crickets in there along with his pellets this morning. The temp reads 98 degrees. I am going to get him some fresh veggies later on today and a medicine dropper to give him some water.... Thanks for checking up on him. I will give you another update tonight to let you know if he eats any crickets or some veggies....

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi, that's good that he had a poop in his bath. If you are waiting at least 45 min to get the basking temp with the probe right on the basking spot, then I suspect that it isn't a 150 watt bulb you're using, perhaps some of the numbers aren't visible. If you could get the basking temp to about 102 and even up to 110, that may be just what he needs to increase his appetite. Will wait for the update later today. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom