Dubias asap!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

midmichicer

Gray-bearded Member
knuckleheadiam":1vy6p6pv said:
http://www.Gotdubias.com great prices and gutloaded

Do you understand what gut loaded means? It means they are being fed. I would hope the insects we buy come gut loaded. The food in a roaches system can stay up to 48 hrs. This means whatever the roach eats, your animal eats.

hammerhead

Juvie Member
Most insects raised commercially have little nutritional value. Gut loading is providing a high quality diet to the prey for the purpose of passing the nutrients on to the predator.

Carnivorouszoo

Sub-Adult Member
So you mean the way many of us here feed our dubias lol. I am constantly working on improving the diet of my feeders but I don't think offering dry foods means they are substandard :?

hammerhead

Juvie Member
It's not just dry foods but what's in the food. The large commercial breeders that supply feeders buy the cheapest food they can find, with little nutritional value. Whether it's veggies, fruits or homemade "roach chow" that most of us feed our dubias at home, they are being gutloaded. My dry food consists of high protein dry cat food, non-fat dry milk, corn meal or oatmeal and vitamins like D3.

jewl495

Juvie Member
Carnivorouszoo":30zu7cm2 said:
So you mean the way many of us here feed our dubias lol. I am constantly working on improving the diet of my feeders but I don't think offering dry foods means they are substandard :?

Its whats in your food.....I feed roach chow (which is dry) plus veggies, oranges, greens, carrots, and what many refer to as birdie mash in the bird community. The last bird mash mix that I made and froze had 37 different ingredients that included grains, beans, dry kelp, alfalfa powder, nutritional yeast, pasta, greens, veggies, and fruits. I need to start making Kefir again because when i did that in the past the roaches loved it, which I felt was passing all sorts of probiotic goodness onto my dragon! Even with all that I still supplement do I need to IDK?? He is eating that nutrition indirectly. I don't supplement my cockatoo but she is getting all that first hand and does get some pellets which have vitamins. I do yearly blood test on her and the values are great. If your not doing regular blood work on your dragon you have no idea what is going on inside so it would probably be best to supplement at least small amounts.

Carnivorouszoo

Sub-Adult Member
jewl495":87h3gche said:
Carnivorouszoo":87h3gche said:

Its whats in your food.....I feed roach chow (which is dry) plus veggies, oranges, greens, carrots, and what many refer to as birdie mash in the bird community. The last bird mash mix that I made and froze had 37 different ingredients that included grains, beans, dry kelp, alfalfa powder, nutritional yeast, pasta, greens, veggies, and fruits. I need to start making Kefir again because when i did that in the past the roaches loved it, which I felt was passing all sorts of probiotic goodness onto my dragon! Even with all that I still supplement do I need to IDK?? He is eating that nutrition indirectly. I don't supplement my cockatoo but she is getting all that first hand and does get some pellets which have vitamins. I do yearly blood test on her and the values are great. If your not doing regular blood work on your dragon you have no idea what is going on inside so it would probably be best to supplement at least small amounts.

What would give a dubia as a supplement or do you mean my beardie? My beardie gets calcium 5 times a week and vitamins 2 times a week as I was told to do on here. My dubia are fed a blend of the best quality dry cat food I can afford, cat and dog treats I get on sale with coupons, ground dry beans, wheat germ, ground cereals (none with added sugars). Its been a while since I made a batch so I do not remember everything that went in. I'm confused by you why would I need to do a blood pannel on my beardie to dictate what I feed my dubia??

jewl495

Juvie Member
Oooopps only part of that was meant for you...I was just letting you know what I feed my roaches. Your gut load isn't substandard but the more you add to any living things diet the more well rounded it will be. :D Its easy to grind up our old veggies and freeze them for later use for the roaches. The supplementing part was for the poster who feels gut loading means supplementing isn't necessary. I disagree with that...and I think most of us do.

knuckleheadiam

midmichicer":3upuu06v said:
knuckleheadiam":3upuu06v said:
http://www.Gotdubias.com great prices and gutloaded

Do you understand what gut loaded means? It means they are being fed. I would hope the insects we buy come gut loaded. The food in a roaches system can stay up to 48 hrs. This means whatever the roach eats, your animal eats.
My roaches are fed a mix of roach chow everyday which consists of dry high protein dog and cat food, fish food, repti-vitamins and minerals, calcium,probotics,wheat bran,nuts,sweet potatoes,yams,banana,strawberries,oranges,peaches,pears,apples,kale,mustard greens,collard greens,green beans,oatmeal,soy protein and more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom