Best and proper way to measure for Dubias sizes?

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hey guys my beardies are full grown 17"-18" I have wrestled with dubia sizes before I would generally go with 3/4-1" large dubias. What's the best way to measure? I know it's the width between their eyes but I have seen many people go bigger/smaller for dubias. Are 1" dubias generally too large for normal dragons?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230603-103541.jpg
    Screenshot_20230603-103541.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 73
Solution
Full grown adult dragons can eat full grown adult sized dubia roaches. Adult males are a popular feeder for full grown dragons.

The width between their eyes "rule" is more a suggestion geared towards smaller dragons still growing since they are eating such large quantities.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Full grown adult dragons can eat full grown adult sized dubia roaches. Adult males are a popular feeder for full grown dragons.

The width between their eyes "rule" is more a suggestion geared towards smaller dragons still growing since they are eating such large quantities.

-Brandon

Solution

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Thread type changed from Discussion Thread to Question Thread by Moderator.

Friendly reminder to utilize the Question Thread option to help future users with a similar question.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster

-Brandon
Hm weird always thought it was a rule for all dragons even adults guess I can toss that out the window for my 2 girls.

Thank you for the quick response and clarifying that for me.

NOTE: Didn't know a "question thread" existed I'll utilize it now

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hm weird always thought it was a rule for all dragons even adults guess I can toss that out the window for my 2 girls.

Thank you for the quick response and clarifying that for me.

NOTE: Didn't know a "question thread" existed I'll utilize it now
Nope, just a good suggestion :)

If you have a dragon that doesn't chew and instead just seems to inhale things whole, you might want to adjust a bit, but that comes with just learning your dragon and adjusting its care to what is best for the particular dragon.

-Brandon

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Nope, just a good suggestion :)

If you have a dragon that doesn't chew and instead just seems to inhale things whole, you might want to adjust a bit, but that comes with just learning your dragon and adjusting its care to what is best for the particular dragon.

-Brandon
Generally if I leave a lot and they are within striking distance my Chubbs will pick 2-4 up one after the other. But I have learned to feed them one by one with her so she chews them.

My Amber though chews extremely well she is a more patient eater than her sister 😅

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah they are all different, that's why we try to give general suggestions, with the caveat that once you learn more about your particular dragon, you can adjust accordingly.

I've had dragons where I can hear the audible chewing from the next room over, and i've had other that will swallow superworms whole only to throw them up later because they refuse to chew LOL.

Part of the fun of having dragons is they all have their own little personalities and quirks.

-Brandon

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Yeah they are all different, that's why we try to give general suggestions, with the caveat that once you learn more about your particular dragon, you can adjust accordingly.

I've had dragons where I can hear the audible chewing from the next room over, and i've had other that will swallow superworms whole only to throw them up later because they refuse to chew LOL.

Part of the fun of having dragons is they all have their own little personalities and quirks.

-Brandon
Oh ya I been there very first time I have seen my Chubbs throw up she ate BSFL and crickets without chewing and it all came up. She has always had a voracious appetite since the day I rescued her but sometimes it is more detrimental for her.

To be honest it's their personalities and quirks that set them apart and I agree every dragon is different.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom