double decker viv?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TWrecks

jodyberry":2pkzi6ff said:
@quigsleysmom:

Here's my dual. The main pic is actually 3, but look at the bottom dual unit. THAT'S what all the build photos are from.

Also, notice the ramp I have going from top to bottom. That can be easily closed off if need be.

http://jodyberry.smugmug.com/Vivarium/Vivarium/15140299_RNgEn#1137740208_dWTgh

Good luck

Nice job! I like the architectural details. Very clean. :)

Although I wanted mine to have a landing, be winding and a little less steep, I was also thinking about putting in a stairway to the second floor. One of my beardies started getting territorial so I guess that made that decision for me. :p But before that I was concerned about two things:

1. Will too much hot air escape from the first floor making the ambient of the 2nd floor much hotter than the first?
2. Will the dragons actually use the stairway?

What are the ambient temps (coolside) for each of your enclosures? How many watts (basking light) are you using for each. And, do the dragons use the elevation to the top floor often? If they do, where do they like to hang out more often?

Thanks for sharing the pics, and thanks to the OP for posting! Keep them coming folks.

Mr. T

jodyberry

Hatchling Member
TWrecks":2xeeczj6 said:
Nice job! I like the architectural details. Very clean. :)

Thanks!

1. Will too much hot air escape from the first floor making the ambient of the 2nd floor much hotter than the first?

I haven't noticed that. Probably because the hole is only about 6 inches square. Although the bottom stays a little cooler because it's actually taller than the upper area.

2. Will the dragons actually use the stairway?

Yep, it took only a few days for all of them to figure it out. I thought it might be too steep, but they have no problems up or down it. In fact, it's kinda funny to look in and all of a sudden a beardie comes walking through the passage hole!!

What are the ambient temps (coolside) for each of your enclosures?

80 to 85 degrees

How many watts (basking light) are you using for each.

I think they're 50 watt. But I'm only using one now in each section. I was using two, but it was a getting a little too hot. (It's near a window so the outside temp will slightly affect the viv temp).

And, do the dragons use the elevation to the top floor often? If they do, where do they like to hang out more often?

When you say top floor, do you mean the VERY top viv? If so, that one is not connected. Only the 2 bottom vivs are connected together. The top one is separate since I don't want our babies with our sub-adults.
As far as hanging out, I would say probably 80% on the logs. They LOVE their logs!

Here's how I find them a lot: http://jodyberry.smugmug.com/OurBeardedDragons/Beardies-1-25-11/15609340_qxoQM#1169585096_GCAYW

I also added a few more custom hammocks (basically carpet hung between back wall and logs) :

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eragon21
Top Bottom